BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

2014 x5d with LED lighting non-OEM trailer lighting install

Because of the totally outrageous cost of the X5 trailer hitch setup from BMW (2000-2500 installed, per the dealer) I decided to DIY with non-OEM parts. Execuhitch receiver (lots of reviews of them out there) and a universal lighting kit from eTrailer. The Execuhitch was about 700 dollars installed, the lighting I did myself (and I'll describe below, pretty easy), with a 74 dollar trailer module. Total cost was around 800 bucks.

First off, this is the kit I used:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20141170285

Kit included just about everything I needed; I still need to get one more butt connector, but, that's just my particular install. I put the module in the drivers side compartment, nice place for it to sit there in the foam insert, almost like it was made for it. There's also a very nice spot for a ground right next to where the module sits, easy to get to, and a very solid connection (it's just a bolt welded to the body with a nut on it).

Now, the thing everyone wants to know; how do you wire it?

The wires you need on the drivers tail light (BMW side) are:

Black/White (blinker)
Purple (running lights)

and on the passenger side:

Black/Purple (blinker)

And then, to the module, it goes like this:

Module wire X5 wire
Green -> Left side (black/purple)
White -> GROUND

Works great, cost 1/10th the dealer trailer lighting package, and took about 2 hours to install (would take you less now that you know what wires you need).

Now, all that said, if I was going to trailer a lot, I'd pony up for the dealer installed wiring. It includes coding (so your park sensors don't go nuts and you have the trailer zoom feature) and it looks better in use; if you use this module, when you're trailering, you'll have a wire hanging out the back of your tailgate. A little "ghetto" for a 80K truck. But, if you; like me, only pull a trailer every now and then (I have a small trailer that I pull to Lowes/Home Depot to pick up lumber/plants/mulch/etc) then this is good solution that will save you close to 1000 dollars and work just fine.

BTW, for anyone who trailers, I'd suggest you write a nasty e-mail to BMW NA (as I have) letting them know your displeasure at the trailer hitch not being a factor option in the US. Not only is it ridiculous expensive have the dealer add it, it also CANNOT BE RESIDUALIZED in a lease! That's just ridiculous, by the time you get done with it, you're going to wind up paying 50-75 dollars more a MONTH to have trailer hitch on your car if you go down the dealer route and lease the vehicle. That's just insanity, it's a hunk of metal and a few wires, and, even more damning, none of the other lux brands do this (on my previous ML, the factory hitch was 500 bucks and could be residualized, turned into about 7-8 bucks a month, IIRC). BMW needs to get their heads screwed on straight about this, I know a lot of people with an X5 will never tow, but quite a few will, and this craziness is just unacceptable for a truck (especially one that comes in diesel and has 4WD, it's a very good tow vehicle right out the factory). <rant over>
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
plake
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

Trailer Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
Because of the totally outrageous cost of the X5 trailer hitch setup from BMW (2000-2500 installed, per the dealer) I decided to DIY with non-OEM parts. Execuhitch receiver (lots of reviews of them out there) and a universal lighting kit from eTrailer. The Execuhitch was about 700 dollars installed, the lighting I did myself (and I'll describe below, pretty easy), with a 74 dollar trailer module. Total cost was around 800 bucks.

Kit included just about everything I needed; I still need to get one more butt connector, but, that's just my particular install. I put the module in the drivers side compartment, nice place for it to sit there in the foam insert, almost like it was made for it. There's also a very nice spot for a ground right next to where the module sits, easy to get to, and a very solid connection (it's just a bolt welded to the body with a nut on it).

Black/White (blinker)
Purple (running lights)

Black/Purple (blinker)

Module wire X5 wire
White -> GROUND

Works great, cost 1/10th the dealer trailer lighting package, and took about 2 hours to install (would take you less now that you know what wires you need).

Now, all that said, if I was going to trailer a lot, I'd pony up for the dealer installed wiring. It includes coding (so your park sensors don't go nuts and you have the trailer zoom feature) and it looks better in use; if you use this module, when you're trailering, you'll have a wire hanging out the back of your tailgate. A little "ghetto" for a 80K truck. But, if you; like me, only pull a trailer every now and then (I have a small trailer that I pull to Lowes/Home Depot to pick up lumber/plants/mulch/etc) then this is good solution that will save you close to 1000 dollars and work just fine.

BTW, for anyone who trailers, I'd suggest you write a nasty e-mail to BMW NA (as I have) letting them know your displeasure at the trailer hitch not being a factor option in the US. Not only is it ridiculous expensive have the dealer add it, it also CANNOT BE RESIDUALIZED in a lease! That's just ridiculous, by the time you get done with it, you're going to wind up paying 50-75 dollars more a MONTH to have trailer hitch on your car if you go down the dealer route and lease the vehicle. That's just insanity, it's a hunk of metal and a few wires, and, even more damning, none of the other lux brands do this (on my previous ML, the factory hitch was 500 bucks and could be residualized, turned into about 7-8 bucks a month, IIRC). BMW needs to get their heads screwed on straight about this, I know a lot of people with an X5 will never tow, but quite a few will, and this craziness is just unacceptable for a truck (especially one that comes in diesel and has 4WD, it's a very good tow vehicle right out the factory). <rant over>

I so much agree, they need to get this fixed. I was told by a sales manager that he brings this up at their area meetings with top people all the time and gets no results. Factory installed hitch is a must. I sometimes think I will not order this vehicle simply due to this fact. Totally pis--d
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by plake View Post
I so much agree, they need to get this fixed. I was told by a sales manager that he brings this up at their area meetings with top people all the time and gets no results. Factory installed hitch is a must. I sometimes think I will not order this vehicle simply due to this fact. Totally pis--d
I feel your pain!

If you are going to order, I wouldn't go with the factory option. It's too expensive and, as mentioned earlier, you can't residualize it anyway. Get an Execuhitch, it's nicer, costs less, and is totally invisible when not in use. Just to give you the most up to date pricing, here's what I got from Execuhitch (last month):

"Thanks for reaching out to me. Our invisihitch is a nice rack-mount solution on the M Sport version of the new X5.

The basic Rack-Only version of our new X5 hitch is $544. It includes our hidden hitch beam with vertical latching mechanism, plus the removable 2" square-tube receiver.

The full tow+rack package adds to the above safety-chain attachment points, a ballmount and ball, the BMW wiring harness with trailer receptacle, and vehicle reprogramming. The full package is $1148.

Although the price difference is significant, many customers want to wire up the vehicle for possible future towing at the same time that they add the hitch. Doing so has an additional advantage for racks -- you can plug a device into the wiring harness whenever you attach your rack and the vehicle will automatically disable the rear park sensors. Otherwise, the park sensors will alarm when you reverse with a rack attached. You can turn the alarm off manually using your iDrive, but you have to do so every time you reverse and doing so shuts off the rear camera as well as the park sensors. So the full tow package sometimes becomes a serious consideration for rack customers."

Figure on 150-450 for installation (lower end if you just want the receiver, higher end if you want it with wiring installed. Some BMW dealers do the install; if you get it done there, of course, increase the prices quite a bit.

Ridiculous. Even with the aftermarket option, you'd going to be ~1500 bucks for install with wiring. That's about what it would cost to put a 20,000 lbs 5th wheel with full electric braking and sway control into a F350. I'm very happy with the Execuhitch product, but the price for it or the BMW option are just outrageous beyond reason. It's a class 2 hitch and a few wires, the markup on the OEM version has to be 1000%. <sigh>

Just an FYI, as I understand it, the factory hitch is available in other locations, but not the US. Not sure why, probably some liability thing. Whatever it is, BMW needs to get over it. All their competitors have a factory installed hitch option that's dramatically less expensive and can be rolled in to a lease. Again, when leasing, we're talking a BIG swig in cost between a factory installed option (that can be residualized) and a non-factory or after the fact option (that cannot). It's not "pocket change", especially when you're dealing with a install that's close to 2K with parts/labor. That number goes straight into the lease, (2,000/36 X interest). If it was factory installed, it would be (even if a 2K option) it would only cost ~40% of that amount because you'd only pay for the "used up" portion of the hitch during the lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
plake
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I feel your pain!

If you are going to order, I wouldn't go with the factory option. It's too expensive and, as mentioned earlier, you can't residualize it anyway. Get an Execuhitch, it's nicer, costs less, and is totally invisible when not in use. Just to give you the most up to date pricing, here's what I got from Execuhitch (last month):

"Thanks for reaching out to me. Our invisihitch is a nice rack-mount solution on the M Sport version of the new X5.

The basic Rack-Only version of our new X5 hitch is $544. It includes our hidden hitch beam with vertical latching mechanism, plus the removable 2" square-tube receiver.

The full tow+rack package adds to the above safety-chain attachment points, a ballmount and ball, the BMW wiring harness with trailer receptacle, and vehicle reprogramming. The full package is $1148.

Although the price difference is significant, many customers want to wire up the vehicle for possible future towing at the same time that they add the hitch. Doing so has an additional advantage for racks -- you can plug a device into the wiring harness whenever you attach your rack and the vehicle will automatically disable the rear park sensors. Otherwise, the park sensors will alarm when you reverse with a rack attached. You can turn the alarm off manually using your iDrive, but you have to do so every time you reverse and doing so shuts off the rear camera as well as the park sensors. So the full tow package sometimes becomes a serious consideration for rack customers."

Figure on 150-450 for installation (lower end if you just want the receiver, higher end if you want it with wiring installed. Some BMW dealers do the install; if you get it done there, of course, increase the prices quite a bit.

Ridiculous. Even with the aftermarket option, you'd going to be ~1500 bucks for install with wiring. That's about what it would cost to put a 20,000 lbs 5th wheel with full electric braking and sway control into a F350. I'm very happy with the Execuhitch product, but the price for it or the BMW option are just outrageous beyond reason. It's a class 2 hitch and a few wires, the markup on the OEM version has to be 1000%. <sigh>

Just an FYI, as I understand it, the factory hitch is available in other locations, but not the US. Not sure why, probably some liability thing. Whatever it is, BMW needs to get over it. All their competitors have a factory installed hitch option that's dramatically less expensive and can be rolled in to a lease. Again, when leasing, we're talking a BIG swig in cost between a factory installed option (that can be residualized) and a non-factory or after the fact option (that cannot). It's not "pocket change", especially when you're dealing with a install that's close to 2K with parts/labor. That number goes straight into the lease, (2,000/36 X interest). If it was factory installed, it would be (even if a 2K option) it would only cost ~40% of that amount because you'd only pay for the "used up" portion of the hitch during the lease.
Need the Class III hitch, boat weighs 4500lbs. The new factory hitch is now invisible as well, just way overpriced. What the h are they thinking, this is a SUV and people want to tow boats, jet skis, you name it, that's what its for.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Do you all have break controllers installed? I'm looking to tow a 2000lbs tent trailer and I'm trying to figure out if I need to connect to the electric breaks on the trailer or if my vehicle breaks will suffice.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
IFlyEm
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Your brakes are fine for normal driving. Might warm up if you drive a lot of grades.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
IFlyEm
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

I totally agree. This whole hitch thing has been a thorn in my side. I ended up ordering an Invisihitch and paid to have it installed. I went to pick up my car and they did everything but the harness. They said there was too much liability. So I installed the harness and can't get the marker lights on the trailer to work. I've pulled everything apart 5 times, sent pics to Invisihitch, installed a new module, and still nothing. Now I am going to take it in to a shop that installs the Invisihitch and have them look at it. I'll have $1800 wrapped up in this crap by the time it's all said and done. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
Do you all have break controllers installed? I'm looking to tow a 2000lbs tent trailer and I'm trying to figure out if I need to connect to the electric breaks on the trailer or if my vehicle breaks will suffice.

Thanks
THIS is the brake controller I purchased. It works great, however, I did have to call their tech support and pair the remote with the controller using a Chevrolet truck prior to installing on my X5.

Edit: I also would NOT recommend using a heavy load without the controller. It's not much to pay for that stopping power and saving on your rotors.
      09-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed

Black/White (blinker)
Purple (running lights)

Black/Purple (blinker)

Module wire X5 wire
White -> GROUND

Did you do any coding? If so can you share it here? Thanks!
Appreciate 0