BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Smell of Burning Plastic / Rubber X5d

I am hoping someone can shed light on this. I have a new X5d, with 85 miles on it, and it has yet to go back for floor mats (dealer was out of stock), as we picked it up last Thursday. It was a special order, nicely optioned at $74k.

After taking it on its longest drive tonight, circa 20 miles, when we stopped the smell of burning plastic or rubber filled the cabin. We thought it was from outside. Concerned, I stopped the car while in the driveway before pulling into the garage just in case there was a fire.

Kids, spouse, all smelled it very clearly. We inspected under the car in case debris was picked up and attached to the exhaust. We opened the hood, and smell came from there. The garage still smells of smoke, but there is no smoke visible.

Any ideas? Is there a break-in point with rubber components?

Roadside assistance forbade us driving it at this point as if a fire were to be caused, we would be negligent. They are towing it in Monday morning, with less than 100 miles on the car.

Not the greatest feeling.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

My new 535 smelled the same way. You have new rubber hoses, brake pads among other materials in the engine compartment. All smell like that when new. If nothing was smoking, I'm betting it's a new car breaking in.
      08-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. We broke in two new MBZs circa 2008, without anything like this, though they were not diesel.

I did a lot of reading and came across "cosmoline" as the possible culprit.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Matt

I wish I could tell you exactly what this is, but I can't. What I can say is that my 35d had exactly the same smell on and off for about the first 1000 miles. It smells like a rubber or electrical burning smell that seemed to be coming from the engine area. I posted and asked and was told it was normal by quite a few 35d owners. I now have 3500 miles and have not smelled it for quite a while. I am pretty sure it is nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
I wish I could tell you exactly what this is, but I can't. What I can say is that my 35d had exactly the same smell on and off for about the first 1000 miles. It smells like a rubber or electrical burning smell that seemed to be coming from the engine area. I posted and asked and was told it was normal by quite a few 35d owners. I now have 3500 miles and have not smelled it for quite a while. I am pretty sure it is nothing to worry about.
+1, mine smelled just like this to start with when it was new. Done getting on for 2k miles in last 3 weeks and it hasn't missed a beat.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

My X5d had a bad burning smell under the bonnet - exactly as you describe - just rolled over 3000 miles this morning (in just over three weeks) and had no problems with bad smells for the last week or two! (my wife might disagree tho') I wish I could say the same for the rattly rear seat and the whining transmission! Oh, not to mention the incorrectly wired tow-bar, the drivers door 'puddle' light that's fallen apart and the surround camera 'activation point' feature that's missing!

Not very impressed so far...

Maybe PORSCHE for me next time!
      08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just back from the dealer. Determined to be Cosmoline burning off.

Point of caution: if you call Roadside Assistance they will tell you that if you drive the car and it catches fire, you will be responsible because you have called in a problem related to a burning smell. As such, I had to get towed this morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap
My X5d had a bad burning smell under the bonnet - exactly as you describe - just rolled over 3000 miles this morning (in just over three weeks) and had no problems with bad smells for the last week or two! (my wife might disagree tho') I wish I could say the same for the rattly rear seat and the whining transmission! Oh, not to mention the incorrectly wired tow-bar, the drivers door 'puddle' light that's fallen apart and the surround camera 'activation point' feature that's missing!

Not very impressed so far...

Maybe PORSCHE for me next time!
Stay away from Porsche if reliability is of any concern. Two friends with Cayenne have been to the dealer so frequently that it became a joke.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Is normal, same thing happened to me. It`s the plastic/wires/catalytic convertor that warms up for the first time. It will go away after the first 1000km. It depends how you drive it too.
Appreciate 0