BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
batmanken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Msport

for ppl with staggered wheel setups on their F15's

I'm currently running 20" m sport wheels with dunlop tires on my SDrive35i. is the staggered setup just for looks? it does look pretty aggressive with wider tires in the back but I read somewhere that it causes more understeer and not good for a track setup? not that I'm gonna track this car lol... but how does this affect handling and drivability compared to a squared setup? because I know most F15's have squared setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanken View Post
I'm currently running 20" m sport wheels with dunlop tires on my SDrive35i. is the staggered setup just for looks? it does look pretty aggressive with wider tires in the back but I read somewhere that it causes more understeer and not good for a track setup? not that I'm gonna track this car lol... but how does this affect handling and drivability compared to a squared setup? because I know most F15's have squared setup.
The difference is marginal especially because you have increased air in the rear tires compared to the front tires to somewhat deal with this understeer. Squared setup from what I gather seems to allow better cornering because you're steering as needed without having to compensate for the understeer. Again, because of the size of the SUV, you won't notice it too much unless you're in the 50i with stock suspension and taking hard corners at higher speeds. There's numerous threads all over the net going for and against staggered setups. Honestly, will the everyday driver notice? No. My best advice is to test drive with and without staggered on roads you know are windy or require control/cornering...you MIGHT notice it better in these situations.