BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Can an F15 X5 owner do me a quick favor? Need a picture of your LED fog illumination

I just retrofitted a pair of these F15 X5 LED fog lights into my E46 and I want to see how the pattern/illumination on the road is from the factory so I can adjust mine accordingly. I need a solid reference point. Please if you can take a photo of just the foglights on ONLY and with a clear open space in front of you so i can see how far down the road it projects. Nothing fancy even a phone pic would work. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
I just retrofitted a pair of these F15 X5 LED fog lights into my E46 and I want to see how the pattern/illumination on the road is from the factory so I can adjust mine accordingly. I need a solid reference point. Please if you can take a photo of just the foglights on ONLY and with a clear open space in front of you so i can see how far down the road it projects. Nothing fancy even a phone pic would work. Thanks!!
I can't take a picture for you right now because my car is in the shop getting wrapped, but I can tell you how the LED fogs work and how far they go.

The illumination helps A LOT when they are on about 8-10 feet from the car where the low beams don't reach perfectly. It brightens this area up quite a bit. Also it really shines peripherally to the left and right above 5-7 feet each way lighting up the sides, which if very very helpful at night. Sorry, but that's the best I can do. Since you sit much lower to the ground, your illumination might actually be brighter/better.
      11-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I can't take a picture for you right now because my car is in the shop getting wrapped, but I can tell you how the LED fogs work and how far they go.

The illumination helps A LOT when they are on about 8-10 feet from the car where the low beams don't reach perfectly. It brightens this area up quite a bit. Also it really shines peripherally to the left and right above 5-7 feet each way lighting up the sides, which if very very helpful at night. Sorry, but that's the best I can do. Since you sit much lower to the ground, your illumination might actually be brighter/better.
Thank you. Here's the X5 LED module stuffed into my E46 housing. Adjusting it is a pain. I've got it 80% satisfactory. but it would help if I had a guide to see what the intent of BMW engineers was. Your post did help me though. I agree it does provide some pretty good fill light. I wonder though if it was tuned more for the X5. The hotspot is pretty intense close to the ground on my car since it sits lower. If you can take a pic some time that would be great! =)

I've adjusted them higher since... but here's the general pattern. Fogs only. Does it look like yours? (Nevermind the daytime running lights on the wall)

These are CBI HID bulbs.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the pics. I am supposed to take delivery on Friday and it is good to see what my LED driving lights will look like.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Here's the X5 LED module stuffed into my E46 housing. Adjusting it is a pain. I've got it 80% satisfactory. but it would help if I had a guide to see what the intent of BMW engineers was. Your post did help me though. I agree it does provide some pretty good fill light. I wonder though if it was tuned more for the X5. The hotspot is pretty intense close to the ground on my car since it sits lower. If you can take a pic some time that would be great! =)

I've adjusted them higher since... but here's the general pattern. Fogs only. Does it look like yours? (Nevermind the daytime running lights on the wall)

These are CBI HID bulbs.

Nice job . Mine actually go wider, and I think like you said it's due to the height. When I get it back, I'll take pics for you.
      11-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Nice job . Mine actually go wider, and I think like you said it's due to the height. When I get it back, I'll take pics for you.
thank you very much. sure beats my stock halogen fogs at 55w each! these are roughly 8-10w each.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
thank you very much. sure beats my stock halogen fogs at 55w each! these are roughly 8-10w each.
Yes and wayyyy brighter/better . They look very good with your xenons.