02-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #89
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
1. Blinker stalk has a seam on the bottom, right in the middle. I should not be able to feel a seam on a lux car.
My favorite complaint yet!!!

Quote:
3. WTF is the squarish hole below idrive for??
Vaseline lip therapy of course. Its much much better than the lip therapy holder in the E70/E71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cit1991 View Post
Sunglass compartment sucks. It's small, glasses sometimes jam on the release button, and there's no felt in there. Basically Kia quality. Probably a last minute design for the US market or something.
I think we need a thread for "unique and useful things to do with your sunglasses compartment".
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #90
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Quote:
Warning. If you read number 1 on my list you will likely get annoyed at this design flaw which you are currently oblivious to. Do yourself a favor and skip it...ignorance is bliss, after all.

The only gripes I have so far are:

1. Blinker stalk has a seam on the bottom, right in the middle. I should not be able to feel a seam on a lux car.

2. Like many others, audio controls on right side of steering.

3. Lack of space to put cell phone. WTF is the squarish hole below idrive for??

Everything else that a few others do not like, are great IMO (ie music plays until locking car).
The square hole is designed to hold the key fob.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #91
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post

I think we need a thread for "unique and useful things to do with your sunglasses compartment".
MAybe throw an old smartphone in there for a BT gauge display
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #92
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
I started figuring that based on the shape. I wonder what would be more useful for the majority of buyers...a place for your cell or keyfob?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #93
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
My favorite complaint yet!!!
Not the finest accomplishment for the person in charge of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #94
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
What kind of lock are you using?
Also, steering moves only after you completely turn off the vehicle, so just hit the start/stop button twice with your foot off brake pedal, and the steering wheel will move into it's normal position, then you can lock it.
I use a zeder lock, the one that you add to the steering wheel (they produce two type of locks) http://www.zederlock.com/ .

I use it when I leave the car so I have to shut off the engine. After I put the lock on and lock the car then the wheel starts to move again, I quickly open it and then lock it again and then it does not move again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #95
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
I place my voice recording device there so its an ideal slot for me (key in my pocket, iP in vent mount for rd apps).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #96
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I use a zeder lock, the one that you add to the steering wheel (they produce two type of locks) http://www.zederlock.com/ .

I use it when I leave the car so I have to shut off the engine. After I put the lock on and lock the car then the wheel starts to move again, I quickly open it and then lock it again and then it does not move again.
There is something wrong.
My steering wheel moves to its neutral position after I turn off the vehicle (Twice button press). The idea behind steering wheel move is to allow driver to exit comfortably. It would be useless feature if it moved only after driver got out of the vehicle and locked it. I am going to have to test this.
      02-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #97
Boeing777
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

1. Easy entry/exit feature of the steering wheel. The steering wheel column motor is just begging itself to fail, especially since it's a BMW. Can this feature be disabled?

2. No volume, previous, and next (fast forward) button for media near the iDrive controller (a la Audi). I drive with my right hand on the center armrest and it's a distraction/chore to move my hand every time to change the volume, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #98
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing777 View Post
1. Easy entry/exit feature of the steering wheel. The steering wheel column motor is just begging itself to fail, especially since it's a BMW. Can this feature be disabled?
Was thinking the same - would it be possible to leave the steering wheel in the driving positition all the time?

Thanks
Bent
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #99
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing777 View Post

2. No volume, previous, and next (fast forward) button for media near the iDrive controller (a la Audi). I drive with my right hand on the center armrest and it's a distraction/chore to move my hand every time to change the volume, etc.
1. I haven't seen any reports of motor failing on Bimmer steering wheels for a long time, was it a common problem before?

2. Totally. Especially now that they moved the buttons to the other side on steering wheel. Now you can use the dial on the steering wheel but you have to make your resting arm work to control those. Otherwise you can keep the iDrive indicator on < or > buttons on screen and just tap on controller to go next/previous, or you would have to use the physical button on radio to go Next/Previous, those buttons (right by Volume Dial) also doubles as fast forward and rewind..

The new steering wheel controller doesn't even have Next/Previous, it annoys me more than it should, something that worked perfectly fine on E70 is broken by terrible design in F15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post
Was thinking the same - would it be possible to leave the steering wheel in the driving positition all the time?

Thanks
Bent
Adjust yourself and your seat to drive it with steering wheel in "rest" position (or exit position). I think that's the only solution..
      02-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #100
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:

Thanks
Bent
This! I sure wish it was a setting or could be coded out. I really dislike having the steering wheel move in and out every time I get in the vehicle. Unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #101
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
This! I sure wish it was a setting or could be coded out. I really dislike having the steering wheel move in and out every time I get in the vehicle. Unnecessary.
Funny.. I love the steering wheel moving out of the way. I missed not having it with my X3 but my old Infiniti's did this and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #102
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

1. Wish that the touch pad on the iDrive knob would swipe to go to next track or back a track.

2. Also to increase or decrease volume of you run clock or counterclockwise wise around the ring of the knob.

3. If sport displays also showed more dials and information. (MPH/KPH, Boost, oil temp, tire pressure and temps) All in full screen mode.

There are more possibilities within the system that they are not using it to its full capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #103
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweb10 View Post
Funny.. I love the steering wheel moving out of the way. I missed not having it with my X3 but my old Infiniti's did this and I love it.
I guess it's kind of a "luxury thing" too, and of course it makes getting in/out of the car easier.
But for me, it's just as much about the time it takes for the steering wheel to get into position. Sitting here and wait. Dzzzzzzz until ready.
Sometimes, like after a quick gas stop at a gas station or similar, I just would like to push the start button and GO!

Good weekend,
Bent
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #104
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

After a week of ownership and 500miles on the car - here's my List:
  • Auto window rollup/down is slower that my e90 - Don't know if this was a purposeful change but the window takes forever to go down when paying tolls/parking.
  • Rear Entertainment is not meant for kids - In Hondas/Acuras, you can fully control the DVD from the front. In the BMW, you have be an adult to navigate the remote for the rear entertainment. Plus the screen only tilts up and not down. And there's no place to put/hold the remote. Oh and the headphones aren't included. (I can go on).
  • No Amber turn signal in the rear - Wish we had an option to retrofit the Euro-spec but I'm really partial to an amber vs the current red signal.
  • Heat Steering Wheel indicator can't be seen - the light goes on when enable but it's hidden behind the steering wheel.
  • No DHP with 3rd Row + MSport - there must be some functional constraint but I really wish we had this option.
  • No Anti-Dazzle High Beams in U.S. - the hard on/off with High Beam Assist is ok, but nothing like the Euro model high beam split.
  • Settings not saved on keyFOB - Sport/Comfort in Sport, HBA On, Auto/Stop-Start Off. Like someone stated previously, it feels like I'm prepping a shuttle mission everytime I get in the car.
  • No auto-close from Keyfob for rear tail-gate - Maybe I can't figure it out but you can only open it, not close it from the keyfob.
  • Windshield washer spray doesn't cover entire wiper length - It only sprays very low on about the bottom 1/4th of the windshield and the wipers lose effectiveness to clean the very top 1/4th of the windshield wiper coverage.
  • Car Seat Anchors are tough to get too - My e90 had a plastic flap that covered the child seat anchors and made it soo easy to clip in and out of. The F15 buries them inside the seat fold which makes it difficult.

These are mostly minor (except for DHP issue) and overall I'm really happy with our purchase decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #105
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I guess it's kind of a "luxury thing" too, and of course it makes getting in/out of the car easier.
But for me, it's just as much about the time it takes for the steering wheel to get into position. Sitting here and wait. Dzzzzzzz until ready.
Sometimes, like after a quick gas stop at a gas station or similar, I just would like to push the start button and GO!

Good weekend,
Bent
You still can.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #106
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
[*] No auto-close from Keyfob for rear tail-gate - Maybe I can't figure it out but you can only open it, not close it from the keyfob.
This can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #107
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

The rear window is so easy to get dusted. Not sure if it's caused by the aerodynamic force or something. Or something sticky on the rear window. I have hard time to clean it, and have to clean it every 2-3 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #108
mat3333
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
The rear window is so easy to get dusted. Not sure if it's caused by the aerodynamic force or something. Or something sticky on the rear window. I have hard time to clean it, and have to clean it every 2-3 days.
So it's not just me!! Like you I could probably clean the rear window almost every day. Pretty annoying.:
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #109
Helter
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi & 2015 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Actually my rear window even gets dirty 5 minutes after leaving the car wash.
Dirty water seems to drain from unknown parts and the window is soiled looking already
Never seen a rear window get dirty so easily
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #110
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
After a week of ownership and 500miles on the car - here's my List:
[LIST]
[*]Rear Entertainment is not meant for kids - In Hondas/Acuras, you can fully control the DVD from the front. In the BMW, you have be an adult to navigate the remote for the rear entertainment. Plus the screen only tilts up and not down. And there's no place to put/hold the remote. Oh and the headphones aren't included. (I can go on).
I agree not being able to tilt down sucks and the headphones should have been included. I haven't had any issues controlling the screens from the front though. I'll double check everything I've controlled but I'm sure I played a DVD, videos off a USB and put the NAV on the screens all from the front.