BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #45
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Opasha, I don't understand even half of the tech talk here, my only wish for you is to drive safely.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #46
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Finally gets car back, now riddled with problems. Time to drop it off at the dealership and lock your threads so they can never see your mod journey, hello service advisor and "It's under warranty I expect it working"
Agree!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #47
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Taking it tomorrow morning for my friend to tighten up all the bolts and make sure both struts are properly compressed and fitted correctly (his worker must not have compressed and tightened everything the way he should have). Then, appointment at 3pm tomorrow for wheel alignment and have them double check the strut/suspension. Last thing left to do is contact BMW (again- left two vmails - epic fail) to make a service appointment for this random engine start stop shutdown hiccup.
      03-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #48
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Good to see your plan breakdown. Seems solid. Hopefully the SA and laborer are cool and don't mess with you too much when you go in based on mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #49
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good to see your plan breakdown. Seems solid. Hopefully the SA and laborer are cool and don't mess with you too much when you go in based on mods.
Thanks, Taran. Keeping organized is what keeps me sane, lol. My SA is cool (when I can get a hold of him ), so that shouldn't be a big deal. We'll see. I'll update on the full progress. Once everything is settled, I'll get better pictures together in the sunlight including interior.
      03-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #50
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Thanks, Taran. Keeping organized is what keeps me sane, lol. My SA is cool (when I can get a hold of him ), so that shouldn't be a big deal. We'll see. I'll update on the full progress. Once everything is settled, I'll get better pictures together in the sunlight including interior.
Oh yeah I wanna see your CF work. Waiting on BMWNA to release X5M accessories and see how much it costs for the OEM CF for my X5 Otherwise I'll be painting the dash aluminum in gloss black to match the bottom portions.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #51
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Taking it tomorrow morning for my friend to tighten up all the bolts and make sure both struts are properly compressed and fitted correctly (his worker must not have compressed and tightened everything the way he should have). Then, appointment at 3pm tomorrow for wheel alignment and have them double check the strut/suspension. Last thing left to do is contact BMW (again- left two vmails - epic fail) to make a service appointment for this random engine start stop shutdown hiccup.
Hi opasha Did you ever suffer from the not turning off issue when pressing the start stop button multiple times. I had this problem and a software update fixed it so maybe if you have never had an update to fix that issue, what you are seeing now could just be a manifestation of that original issue.

Fingers crossed you get it all sorted out quickly.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #52
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah I wanna see your CF work. Waiting on BMWNA to release X5M accessories and see how much it costs for the OEM CF for my X5 Otherwise I'll be painting the dash aluminum in gloss black to match the bottom portions.
I'll keep you posted on the pics. Sounds like more modding fun for you . Keep us all posted on that .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Hi opasha Did you ever suffer from the not turning off issue when pressing the start stop button multiple times. I had this problem and a software update fixed it so maybe if you have never had an update to fix that issue, what you are seeing now could just be a manifestation of that original issue.

Fingers crossed you get it all sorted out quickly.
That's exactly what I am thinking too, Niel. I had this same start stop issue and never got a dealer software update or anything to fix it. I explained it to my friend/service adviser, and he said he has never heard of any issue like mine before ever (no wonder Shawn also thought it was strange). I guess I'm a guinea pig for faults too, haha! Thankfully, my SA called me and made an appointment for Thursday at 2pm. He is going to do his best as well to reserve and put me into an X5 (esp considering our winter over here). So far things are going smoothly . I will have to remove 6WB and RaceChip on Wednesday. This won't be fun in my cold winter garage .

Also, I asked my SA about the 6WB update and he had no info on it, so I will have to remove it to be safe since they will need to program and use ISTA/P on my car to fix it.
      03-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #53
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It must be a real PITA to have to take the 6WB out when you want service, what's the service interval like on the petrol engined F15's?

I'm so tempted to get one for myself having seen your images of it and some others from SDRX's M50D that has just been delivered, but mine is leased so hard to justify so I'll just have to wait until my next one.

I even enquired with BMW here in the UK about it but it isn't available from BMW as an official upgrade for mine, it is only available for MY2015 F15's that could have had it from the factory to start with

Would you know if the same problem you have over there would happen here too? Say I upgraded to a 6WB which isn't available for my VIN, would I have to remove it before service even though 6WB is officially available here just not for my VIN. Do BMW lock down their ISTA software systems by VIN?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #54
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
It must be a real PITA to have to take the 6WB out when you want service, what's the service interval like on the petrol engined F15's?

I'm so tempted to get one for myself having seen your images of it and some others from SDRX's M50D that has just been delivered, but mine is leased so hard to justify so I'll just have to wait until my next one.

I even enquired with BMW here in the UK about it but it isn't available from BMW as an official upgrade for mine, it is only available for MY2015 F15's that could have had it from the factory to start with

Would you know if the same problem you have over there would happen here too? Say I upgraded to a 6WB which isn't available for my VIN, would I have to remove it before service even though 6WB is officially available here just not for my VIN. Do BMW lock down their ISTA software systems by VIN?
I think the cost vs benefit issues might kick in? BMW are renowned for obstructing retrofit upgrades and making them economically unattractive. There are many options they would refuse to fit anyway.

My advice would be to wait for the F15 LCI launch probably in 2017 and you'll have access to many new options - possibly a second generation 6WB too.
      03-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #55
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
I think the cost vs benefit issues might kick in? BMW are renowned for obstructing retrofit upgrades and making them economically unattractive. There are many options they would refuse to fit anyway.

My advice would be to wait for the F15 LCI launch probably in 2017 and you'll have access to many new options - possibly a second generation 6WB too.
I hadn't thought of that but it does seem like BMW make it as hard as possible to do some upgrades sometimes, almost like they don't want you to, not to mention expensive. I had to replace the towbar socket on the fully electric towbar and the socket alone was £80 !!

I've got mine for 4 years which takes me to July 2018 so I'll see what the LCI brings if it happens in 2017. I'm also pretty interested in the eDrive F15 due later this year which would save me serious amounts of company car tax unless they change the tax system by then. I'll have to see if I can get a test drive when the local dealer gets one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #56
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they do this and not just implement the same nice features all across the world. They must really want us to move to Europe or buy the F16, haha. Oh well . This will just make me an expert car disassembler, so they can ask me to be in the next Gone in 60 seconds ...jk.
      03-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #57
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that but it does seem like BMW make it as hard as possible to do some upgrades sometimes, almost like they don't want you to, not to mention expensive. I had to replace the towbar socket on the fully electric towbar and the socket alone was £80 !!

I've got mine for 4 years which takes me to July 2018 so I'll see what the LCI brings if it happens in 2017. I'm also pretty interested in the eDrive F15 due later this year which would save me serious amounts of company car tax unless they change the tax system by then. I'll have to see if I can get a test drive when the local dealer gets one.
Yes I think we can expect some tax tweaks in that area very soon. I'm waiting for the Daily Mail to catch on the fact that buyers of the i8 get £5k towards it by the UK Govt and then get the full amount deducted off tax, no VED either.

Its only a matter of time before a cap gets introduced........
      03-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #58
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I think we can expect some tax tweaks in that area very soon. I'm waiting for the Daily Mail to catch on the fact that buyers of the i8 get £5k towards it by the UK Govt and then get the full amount deducted off tax, no VED either.

Its only a matter of time before a cap gets introduced........
Yes, it gonna have to change some time soon, I got a test drive in a Tesla S last weekend and they are the same, £50k plus car with £5k govt contribution and £0 VED.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #59
cit1991
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Loose nuts and ball joints on the sway bars can sound like they're coming from the strut tower mounts.

The strut tower bearing force is always upward (from the spring) unless you go over a really bad bump. The central nut, holding the shock tube to the bearing does get force reversals on decent bumps and can clunk if loose.

The sway bar mounts go through force reversals on even very small bumps, as the car tries to rock back and forth. So, sway bars mounts really need to be zero-slop.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #60
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, for my username fixed,
MattBianco, you don't need to have my name shortcut saved anymore.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #61
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Awaiting realignment and front suspension/strut fix .

03-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #62
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cit1991 View Post
Loose nuts and ball joints on the sway bars can sound like they're coming from the strut tower mounts.

The strut tower bearing force is always upward (from the spring) unless you go over a really bad bump. The central nut, holding the shock tube to the bearing does get force reversals on decent bumps and can clunk if loose.

The sway bar mounts go through force reversals on even very small bumps, as the car tries to rock back and forth. So, sway bars mounts really need to be zero-slop.
They finished my car and I'm about to pick it up, but he referenced the same stuff you just spoke about. It had something to do with the Swaybar nuts/bolts being loose (not sure how this happened since he said he never touched anything related to my swaybar ). I'll update this information when I talk to them in person in 20 minutes or so. Thanks .
      03-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #63
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Awaiting realignment and front suspension/strut fix .

Not being biased here, but that X5 is certainly the best looking car on the lot.... hehehe
Appreciate 5
      03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #64
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

It does look good
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #65
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Chassis Stability randomly popped up in EcoPro, but after I shut down the car and started it 30 minutes later, it disappeared. The suspension is 100% back to normal and feels/drives like a champ again . Only thing left now is the start stop issue, which will be taken care of on Thursday by BMW. I also tested the camera functionality, and it's pretty solid even at night. I'm gonna get him to fix the rear view camera because it is indeed upside down. I'll record some of my trip to the BMW dealership and show you guys some nice scenery on interstate 70 .

I'll kindly ask them for a full detail as well and take some pictures after I get it back. The color really shines at night...it's remarkable.

PS: Having the car not coded (VO Coding resets everything back to factory state) at all is super annoying, lol. You don't realize how nice the coded features are until they are gone.
      03-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #66
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

So, something was loose ? I am glad you got it fixed. The whole community breathed a sigh of releif , seriously.
Appreciate 3