BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #89
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

opasha - well done on figuring it out correctly, but may I just ask, why take the risk to dismantle the brake pedal yourself? Wouldn't it be easier to just get the BMW guys to sort everything out once and for all?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #90
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
opasha - well done on figuring it out correctly, but may I just ask, why take the risk to dismantle the brake pedal yourself? Wouldn't it be easier to just get the BMW guys to sort everything out once and for all?
I won't be dismantling the brake pedal. It's the brake light sensor. It just needs to be pushed forward so it make contact withe the brake pedals sensor. It's a simple fix. I don't really want to drive all the way to BMW for that. Sure, if my dealer was 10-15 min away, no problem, but my closest BMW service center is about 1-1.2 hours away. I would have to remove both my 6WB and RaceChip before that as well (something I decided not to do since I cancelled my appointment due to the snowstorm the next day). I also think the chassis stability error could be related to the cold or something to do specifically with EcoPro - this I'm going to test again - it could be related to my battery as well. My battery was discharging when I turned the car on in AC POWER mode (one button push). If it's not something that gets resolved easily, then I will make an appointment for Monday, but I want to exhaust all my options first before doing that. That way I can also properly explain to the service department what they need to check.
      03-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #91
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

My car went through the unplowed 7" of snow like it wasn't even there. I have the 19" OEM Pirelli All Seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #92
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
My car went through the unplowed 7" of snow like it wasn't even there. I have the 19" OEM Pirelli All Seasons.
Very nice .
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #93
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Took my car to my friend at Midas, and the brake light sensor was twisted out of place from it's original perfect position, so they just had to readjust it. Took about 30 min, but everything is working well again . I have not seen the stability issue pop up either.
      03-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #94
Heden
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 MY2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Took my car to my friend at Midas, and the brake light sensor was twisted out of place from it's original perfect position, so they just had to readjust it. Took about 30 min, but everything is working well again . I have not seen the stability issue pop up either.
Glad to hear that Omar! Now get out and drive and upload a few clips from your new tech
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #95
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Brilliant, Omar!! Well done!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #96
wwanthony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Very good news....
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #97
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Glad you got it fixed.
Is that the one that I show you the diagram? I believe it is.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #98
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

Now, we all can enjoy the weekend! How do you think that sensor got dis aligned?
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #99
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Glad you got it fixed.
Is that the one that I show you the diagram? I believe it is.
Sorry, looked at the wrong diagram. I think you were initially correct, and I completely forgot about it. I used a more in depth diagram in Rheingold and figured it out from the google searches I listed. You were definitely on the right track. I wish I looked at your diagram a second time. I was over thinking it and the brake sensor didn't occur to me until I pulled the brake forward with my foot yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12 View Post
Now, we all can enjoy the weekend! How do you think that sensor got dis aligned?
I figured it out by working backwards. It was when he removed the driver lower panel (this houses the sensors/wiring for the brake and acceleration pedal, etc) to feed the micro usb power cable for the E-level touchpad that adjusts the height of the air suspension. He must have knocked out of its original position (turned or twisted) without realizing. When aligned correctly, this sensor is touched by the sensor/some switch on the brake pedal metal arm that hits this sensor telling the computer: "Ok, you can turn off the brake lights because I'm not being pushed by Omar's foot anymore to make the F15 stop."

Last edited by opasha; 03-06-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #100
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Glad to see that you've figured it out.
      03-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #101
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@opasha, no worry. Glad you got it fixed.
Now we all know where to look when the same issue occurs on our cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #102
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Sorry, looked at the wrong diagram. I think you were initially correct, and I completely forgot about it. I used a more in depth diagram in Rheingold and figured it out from the google searches I listed. You were definitely on the right track. I wish I looked at your diagram a second time. I was over thinking it and the brake sensor didn't occur to me until I pulled the brake forward with my foot yesterday.

I figured it out by working backwards. It was when he removed the driver lower panel (this houses the sensors/wiring for the brake and acceleration pedal, etc) to feed the micro usb power cable for the E-level touchpad that adjusts the height of the air suspension. He must have knocked out of its original position (turned or twisted) without realizing. When aligned correctly, this sensor is touched by the sensor/some switch on the brake pedal metal arm that hits this sensor telling the computer: "Ok, you can turn off the brake lights because I'm not being pushed by Omar's foot anymore to make the F15 stop."
Hi pal, sorry your having problems and things didn't work out with the air suspension, but we are all learning things from you! I say we start a fund for the education your giving us! Think positive pal, life could be worse. We have all been there and trust me I personally have been there for conversions and at the end it didn't come out the way I wanted, but I stayed positive like you! Lots of luck pal! I'll be asking you soon how to remove the center console trim! Thanks for the steering wheel info, Im looking into some options.

Joe
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #103
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha, no worry. Glad you got it fixed.
Now we all know where to look when the same issue occurs on our cars.
I appreciate it, Ben. Haha, yes, the positives that come out of trial and error situations are always rewarding .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Hi pal, sorry your having problems and things didn't work out with the air suspension, but we are all learning things from you! I say we start a fund for the education your giving us! Think positive pal, life could be worse. We have all been there and trust me I personally have been there for conversions and at the end it didn't come out the way I wanted, but I stayed positive like you! Lots of luck pal! I'll be asking you soon how to remove the center console trim! Thanks for the steering wheel info, Im looking into some options. Joe
Thanks for the positive words, Joe . Everything is good. No more suspension stability malfunction error in any mode. I did some testing while driving between each mode. I think the car just needed to get used to everything after it had undergone so much intense surgery (). Even cars need to go through a rehabilitation period it seems, lol. Overall, everything is running great now...I really do love this car and how it performs. 22s handling well in snow...that surprised even me!

Feel free to ask questions anytime. I'm always happy to help .
      03-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #104
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After all, Omar, how do you like your new suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #105
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
After all, Omar, how do you like your new suspension?
Haha, you mean my stock suspension?...I appreciate it more now than before. It drives well with the 22s. I think that the larger wheels really improve the handling/road feel overall. I was only trying to get closer to a DHP feel and was told that the steering would be tighter as well (my main goal), but this was not the case with the accuair.
      03-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #106
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Are you back to your old one???
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #107
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you back to your old one???
Yes, read my previous thread. I talked about the issues. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...032521&page=24

r33_RGSport, Taran.J, I don't have self-leveling rear. I have completely stock suspension. I asked Eddie what he was referring to in my rear. It's all stock but the rear has its own factory dampeners so we didn't need to put in new ones nor had to mess with factory parts in that regard. So, even if any of you modify yours...you will run into issues unless you bypass the height sensors or whatever may cause chassis stability malfunction (this thing is very sensitive it seems). I guess our F15 computer is really that smart.
      03-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #108
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@opasha, the loaner I got is indeed the first F15 AWD that I ever drove. The steering feel much looser than the sDrive. Surprised me.
Also the running board keep on hitting my calf, in and out the car.
The other thing, I always got stability synchronizing when I start driving within 10 seconds of starting up the car.
Fortunately, it is a loaner, so I don't have to live with it.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #109
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha, the loaner I got is indeed the first F15 AWD that I ever drove. The steering feel much looser than the sDrive. Surprised me.
The other thing, I always got stability synchronizing when I start driving within 10 seconds of starting up the car.
Ben don't forget, you have 22s and you're lowered, so that will improve your driving dynamics quite a bit more compared to your stock loaner.

Yes, I agree, the running boards def get annoying for hitting the calves. Thankfully, my habit of stepping out and over and being 6' tall helps me avoid hitting my calves often, but it is definitely a big design flaw.
      03-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #110
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Ben don't forget, you have 22s and you're lowered, so that will improve your driving dynamics quite a bit more compared to your stock loaner.

Yes, I agree, the running boards def get annoying for hitting the calves. Thankfully, my habit of stepping out and over and being 6' tall helps me avoid hitting my calves often, but it is definitely a big design flaw.
True, but I have been running stock 20" wheels for the past 3-4 weeks since I was on some road trip and car going in for service.
I have felt the loaner xDrive a little more loose on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0