BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
chadilax
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

EGR Cooler Recall - cause DPF Clogging?

I have a 2014 x35d with 130k on the clock. I got the recall notice (No 21V-907) for potential for internal cooling fluid lean in the EGR, which could "mix with typical disel engine soot deposits" (per the notice).

I've also been getting the “Drivetrain Malfunction. Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult Service Center.” error.

Pulled the codes and am getting:
  • 258300 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, dpf, signal too high
  • 25DA00 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, dpf, signal Short cirtuit to B+
  • 244C00 Charging pressure control - pressure too low
  • 245700 DPF, Exhaust gas pressure too high, filter very heavily
  • 245800 DPF, Exhaust gas pressure above max value, filter very heavily
    loaded
  • 2BD800 changeover valve for low temperature EGR cooling: change in coolant temp after changeover too low

This recall came out in Jan 2022 but only now is the fix available. Given the codes and the issues with the EGR, I'm thinking that the DPF being heavily loaded was likely exacerbated by the EGR internal coolant leak. But the recall doesn't mention they will clean or replace the DPF as part of the fix.

I'm getting ready to take it in for the recall and hoping to convince them of my theory to get them to replace or clean (do they do that?) the DPF.

Am I in left field? Or does this sound plausible?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 06:57 AM   #2
Geo41e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15 xDrive30D M Sport

Just did a search for my X5, and looks like I have the outstanding recall as well...Thanks to this post !
Attached Images

2008 E60 LCI 530i M Sport - Sold
2018 F15 X5 XDrive30D M Sport - Current
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

I think that's a long shot if you ask dealer/BMW to include DPF clogging in EGR recall unless you can prove EGR issue causes the clogging.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

I’m paying attention to this thread as well. I just had the egr cooler wipe out my intake and I’m not convinced that it didn’t cause my previous issue.

John.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 03:46 PM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yes it can, stop by the dealership for the recall. There is ongoing thread for this recall here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891695
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 05:15 PM   #6
sverotsky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x35d

Any luck getting dealer/BMW to cover DPF replacement after EGR cooler recall?

I had faulty EGR cooler result in hole in intake manifold, which they covered. One month later NoX sensor went and now DPF apparently needs replaced. Initial report from BMW Portland is that they are unrelated. Seems unlikely. I have reached out to corporate customer service folks at BMW to work that angle but not optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
kmac77
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35D

Did this get resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadilax View Post
I have a 2014 x35d with 130k on the clock. I got the recall notice (No 21V-907) for potential for internal cooling fluid lean in the EGR, which could "mix with typical disel engine soot deposits" (per the notice).

I've also been getting the “Drivetrain Malfunction. Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult Service Center.” error.

Pulled the codes and am getting:
  • 258300 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, dpf, signal too high
  • 25DA00 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, dpf, signal Short cirtuit to B+
  • 244C00 Charging pressure control - pressure too low
  • 245700 DPF, Exhaust gas pressure too high, filter very heavily
  • 245800 DPF, Exhaust gas pressure above max value, filter very heavily
    loaded
  • 2BD800 changeover valve for low temperature EGR cooling: change in coolant temp after changeover too low

This recall came out in Jan 2022 but only now is the fix available. Given the codes and the issues with the EGR, I'm thinking that the DPF being heavily loaded was likely exacerbated by the EGR internal coolant leak. But the recall doesn't mention they will clean or replace the DPF as part of the fix.

I'm getting ready to take it in for the recall and hoping to convince them of my theory to get them to replace or clean (do they do that?) the DPF.

Am I in left field? Or does this sound plausible?

Did the dealership cover this under the recall, I am getting similar error messages
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #8
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac77 View Post
Did the dealership cover this under the recall, I am getting similar error messages
I doubt it with 130k miles on the odo. DPF (and other emissions gear) extended warranty is 120k.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:55 AM   #9
SFCX5D MSPORT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5d M Sport

Egr recall faulty dpf

I just completed my 2nd EGR recall. Both times they replaced the intake manifold. On second recall they also replaced coolant system and lines. After second recall the engine light came on again. Dealer said it was due to the EGR valve they used was faulty. When replacing faulty EGR valve they damaged one of the bolts going into the emissions control unit (???) and they replaced the entire unit. Dealer claims it was a $5,000 repair that BMW would cover. I had my repaired car for 1.5 days and the engine light came on again. This time dealer "thinks" (great answer) that it's the exhaust back pressure sensor. At a cost of $700+ I agree to replace. Get my repaired car back, again, This time I had the car for 33 miles and the engine light came on again. Dealer is now saying my DPF is clogged and will not regen. Dealer quoted $6,000. My opinion is two fold, dealer is "guessing" and second, a faulty EGR valve and intake manifold will cause excessive soot buildup in DPF which BMW should be somewhat reliable for. Anybody else have similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:54 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCX5D MSPORT View Post
I just completed my 2nd EGR recall. Both times they replaced the intake manifold. On second recall they also replaced coolant system and lines. After second recall the engine light came on again. Dealer said it was due to the EGR valve they used was faulty. When replacing faulty EGR valve they damaged one of the bolts going into the emissions control unit (???) and they replaced the entire unit. Dealer claims it was a $5,000 repair that BMW would cover. I had my repaired car for 1.5 days and the engine light came on again. This time dealer "thinks" (great answer) that it's the exhaust back pressure sensor. At a cost of $700+ I agree to replace. Get my repaired car back, again, This time I had the car for 33 miles and the engine light came on again. Dealer is now saying my DPF is clogged and will not regen. Dealer quoted $6,000. My opinion is two fold, dealer is "guessing" and second, a faulty EGR valve and intake manifold will cause excessive soot buildup in DPF which BMW should be somewhat reliable for. Anybody else have similar experience?
Why are you paying? If you bring your vehicle in for recall in working condition, and after recall you get check engine light this is not your problem. I mentioned this in another topic but I would never pick up my car if it got a problem after dealer working on it. They broke it-they are fixing it.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 04:08 AM   #11
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

SFCX5D MSPORT get a second opinion from an independent mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:48 PM   #12
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Why are you paying? If you bring your vehicle in for recall in working condition, and after recall you get check engine light this is not your problem. I mentioned this in another topic but I would never pick up my car if it got a problem after dealer working on it. They broke it-they are fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:06 PM   #13
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

My 2015 35d has had numerous Check Engine Lights since the recall. Local dealer has had the vehicle for 6 weeks trying to fix it. They are now waiting on a part from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:25 PM   #14
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
My 2015 35d has had numerous Check Engine Lights since the recall. Local dealer has had the vehicle for 6 weeks trying to fix it. They are now waiting on a part from Germany.
What codes?
What part?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #15
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep

They have changed the changeover valve, the EGR temp sensor, and a check valve. They told me the part coming from Germany was another valve.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:06 PM   #16
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

I got the same code, change all the vacuum hoses, check vacuum solenoids, check changeover solenoid, and check the aux water pump in that order. You can check the the bypass valves are also working with a hand vacuum pump on the vacuum lines to the EGR.

I have had this code come and go for the past 3 years. It’s off now, but it’s probably a sporadic failure.

I changed the changeover valve about 4 years back so hope mine didn’t go again.

I recently changed all the vacuum hoses.(not the last one to the motor mounts) and the solenoid vacuum valves ($20ish each)

I did an insta check of the changeover valve last night and it was not clicking. Next step is check voltage on the feed connector and second power source to the valve, you should hear an audible clicking. Also the resistance should be 12.8ish ohms, I’ll check that too.

This is why the EGR gets deleted…
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #17
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got the car back after 2 months of troubleshooting. Pleased that BMW corporate decided to cover the costs. Dealer told me the repairs totaled more than $12000.00.

Hopefully this fixed the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW EGR.pdf (679.8 KB, 112 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:40 AM   #18
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
Got the car back after 2 months of troubleshooting. Pleased that BMW corporate decided to cover the costs. Dealer told me the repairs totaled more than $12000.00.

Hopefully this fixed the problem.
Yikes. Thanks for updating.

Kind of glad we sold ours after the second EGR recall and having to change the coolant changeover valve (we got a code only AFTER the recall, 3 days after).

Sounds like whatever problem BMW is dealing with on these EGR recalls is a bandaid or a solution to one problem that causes another. I read (and experienced) too many problems with X5s going in functional and coming out with codes or issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:15 AM   #19
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

I changed the coolant changeover valve this weekend. When I activated thru insta it would not click. The new one clicks. I even tried to make it click by putting power to the pins and no luck. I reset the code, let’s see if it comes back.

Is there a way to test the EGR aux cooler pump? I couldn’t see a where in insta.

My oil filter housing has started to weep oil at the bottom, and it’s right above that pump. Don’t think that could hurt it, but another thing to add to the list….
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 08:18 AM   #20
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I will make few comments here which can be helpful on this topic:

1) DPF plugged certainly can happen which I believe is very dependent on driving cycle. I am using Bimmerlink to datalog some information from engine which is very helpful. DPF delta pressure when engine is running ~ 0.2psi which is very very small. This information tells me DPF is really clean. Also with clogged DPF or exhaust you will notice the vehicle performance will be substantially reduced.
If you suspect DPF is an issue measure the DPF delta pressure and compare with what I am getting 0.2 psi. If you get something more higher than that your DPF could be clogged.

2) EGR cooler leakage. If you suspect that even after replacing EGR cooler under the recall still have an issue just monitor the coolant level. If coolant level drops it certainly can be an indication of failed EGR cooler assuming there isn’t any other issue related to coolant level. It is also possible to evaluate visually inside the cooler and look for “wet soot” when soot and coolant mixed.

3) Changeover valve can cause engine light on. On my case code is 2C2200 "coolant temperature sensor upstream of low temperature EGR cooler". Again after using the BimmerLink I found out what could be potentially the reason for it. I noticed EGR coolant temperature is always a little bit lower than engine coolant temperature ~ 10-20F. But sometimes I noticed it gets much lower like 40-50F which triggered engine light on. I see it happened 3x on the last 3-4k miles. To confirm 100% I need to replace the changeover which will be done April-May.

Hopefully this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:25 PM   #21
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep

After I replaced the coolant changeover valve, I got the same error code.

I checked bimmerlink and the coolant temp and the Low temp EGR cooler temp were nearly identical. I went to insta and it recommended to replace the EGR coolant temp sensor…. Which I thought made no sense since it is reading.

Well I change the sensor with a facet 7.3375 which is identical to the bmw sensor. ($16 on Amazon) I was not expecting any changes but now the temp between the coolant temp and EGR cooler temp is about 10 degrees different. So looks like I have solved the problem. No pending codes so far.

So this go around I changed the changeover valve and the EGR coolant temp sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:29 PM   #22
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

this is really interesting. for how many miles have you driven with the new sensor?
Initially I thought the sensor could be the issue like intermittent contact but I monitored it for a while and never noticed dropping connection.
maybe will replace the sensor first.
Appreciate 0