BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-16-2023, 01:56 PM   #1
carlos468
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

BMW x5 e53 m57 2006 judder

Hi all first post so hello
As in the title I have just bought this x5 it has a bit of a strange judder but on deceleration more so at 15/20 mph it feels like the something is trying to catch up with the prop shaft
the lower the speed the worse it feels
I am thinking it is the transfer case maybe the oil or maybe the belt I believe is in it is worse after it has warmed up after about 20mins

I have searched the forums but seen only on acceleration mine is fine with this it's just the janky slowing down at slow speeds or down a hill if I take my foot off the pedal

so is it transfer oil maybe gone bad going to change it £25 1L and I have roll around on the ground not as young as I used to be

or is it maybe prop shaft bearing or something?

i am a little bit stumped on where to start with it so thanks for any input and admins sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

On my f15 I had a similar issue where it would judder while coasting at low speeds or letting off the accelerator. I got my transfer case fluid changed and had them recalibrate it, and it's been good ever since.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill View Post
On my f15 I had a similar issue where it would judder while coasting at low speeds or letting off the accelerator. I got my transfer case fluid changed and had them recalibrate it, and it's been good ever since.
A few of these threads have popped up lately but just to 2nd this: Had the same exact issue as well and TC fluid change and recalibration solved it. Old fluid looked like tar.
Appreciate 0