BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Load Rating for rims/wheels, what is acceptable? Axle weights?

I searched and didn't see an answer..

Backstory, a few weeks ago, I was looking at forged TSW rims, and I was told that their Turbina 20" rims were not load rated for our X5 at 1,725 lbs, since they were below 1,875lbs which is what TSW rep said is required.
(TSW, terrible website btw, extremely slowloading)

So I kept searching for multi spoke forged rims and found out that Avant Garde makes a similar one "M615".
I contacted AG, and they said the load rating of the 20" version is safe for the X5 at 1620.4 lbs per rim..
(wow, ".4" precision, that's seems very precise, or just pulled out of thin air...)

So if Avant Garde is correct, the Turbina wheels should be fine also.

Now, the F15 X5 50i is just under 5,000lbs dry weight, and max weight is just above 6,000lbs (6,040lbs)
If axle weight was even front to back, it would be 1,510lbs per rim minimum load rating at max vehicle weight.
But, if weight distribution is 60/40 (front is heavier) at max weight, it would require a load rating of 1,812lbs.

However, I don't believe there is a lot of extra weight added to the front axle at max weight, so I'm thinking it is safe to instead base it on even distribution between the front and rear axle at max weight, so 1,510 lbs minimum load rated rims will be required.

Do we have any experts here, with more insight?
Thnx!
Appreciate 0