BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I'm thinking of (leasing) a X5 xDrive40e M Sport

My M Sport 3D is 3 years old so looking at alternatives, especially if the new car is more tax efficient.

Interested to know of anyone has a good or bad experiences with leasing this car in the UK and more generally is it a good or bad experience going from a 3D into a tree hugger.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

For me.. I enjoy the roaring sounds of the engine coming to life and of course the deep burly tones of the exhaust. As a car guy, I'm not so sure I can enjoy driving around in an electric car. If I wanted to be earth friendly or save money on gas, then an SUV would be the last thing on my mind.
      04-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

We just took delivery of 40e M sport 2017 version, simply amazing for the size/weight of the car, the acceleration is worthy of the 40 badge, and yet you keeping the tax man happy and consumption down. it is also equipped with one of BMW best petrol engines with very good track record in comparison to other BM engines.
On the leasing side, I believe in 3 years time, the hybrid petrol mode is likely to be worth more in comparison to a diesel 4 pot engine, with all the war on diesel cars taking place. for the straight 6 diesel hard to tell.
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      04-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
For me.. I enjoy the roaring sounds of the engine coming to life and of course the deep burly tones of the exhaust. As a car guy, I'm not so sure I can enjoy driving around in an electric car. If I wanted to be earth friendly or save money on gas, then an SUV would be the last thing on my mind.
agreed, but that's why most of us solve this problem with 2 cars.

I have a M3 for this purpose you discuss, so the X5 can be electric
      04-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
agreed, but that's why most of us solve this problem with 2 cars.

I have a M3 for this purpose you discuss, so the X5 can be electric
Good for you I guess some people are financially capable and some aren't
      04-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Good for you I guess some people are financially capable and some aren't
I would say, you sir owning a F15 M Sport with MPPK is pretty financially capable yourself
      04-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
We just took delivery of 40e M sport 2017 version, simply amazing for the size/weight of the car, the acceleration is worthy of the 40 badge, and yet you keeping the tax man happy and consumption down. it is also equipped with one of BMW best petrol engines with very good track record in comparison to other BM engines.
On the leasing side, I believe in 3 years time, the hybrid petrol mode is likely to be worth more in comparison to a diesel 4 pot engine, with all the war on diesel cars taking place. for the straight 6 diesel hard to tell.
MM - What's the driving experience though? And, what's your real world average MPG? I get 34 mpg but I do a real mix of motorways and country roads.

My dealer is quoting a delivery of 18 weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

The X5 is my wife’s and the family one weekends, so I get to drive it weekends only! The car feel surprisingly light, considering the battery and extra engine on top of the petrol one, takes off are simply fast. We live in the country so A and B roads plus town roads, on A and B roads I do notice some of the size and weight of the car but I believe this is down to own experience, my weekly drives is a mix of my F10 520d with the performance pack and a 911, so the x5 will always come across as the least sporty, but never the less was surprised how responsive with the electric engine taking care of the turbo lags, I do enjoy take off at traffic light, the biggest plus is how light the car feels with 3 kids in the back.
On the consumption I have to come back to you, my wife journey to work is 7 miles hence why the 40e was an option she end up doing most of her commute on electric, but expect the figures to be less than the advertised.
One big negative about the 40e is the boots space, I recommend you check this properly if space is one of the reason you going for the x5, the limited height makes it feels smaller than our old X3 traded in, note how you also loose the option for 3rd row seats with the e40.
With the M sport trim, the car looks spot on, with the 40d kidney grill in my opinion better one specially if going for a darker colour we settled for the Carbon black.

Worth checking the tread for the 40e in this forum for folks who drive the car every day - http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1102491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
MM - What's the driving experience though? And, what's your real world average MPG? I get 34 mpg but I do a real mix of motorways and country roads.

My dealer is quoting a delivery of 18 weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
The X5 is my wife’s and the family one weekends, so I get to drive it weekends only! The car feel surprisingly light, considering the battery and extra engine on top of the petrol one, takes off are simply fast. We live in the country so A and B roads plus town roads, on A and B roads I do notice some of the size and weight of the car but I believe this is down to own experience, my weekly drives is a mix of my F10 520d with the performance pack and a 911, so the x5 will always come across as the least sporty, but never the less was surprised how responsive with the electric engine taking care of the turbo lags, I do enjoy take off at traffic light, the biggest plus is how light the car feels with 3 kids in the back.
On the consumption I have to come back to you, my wife journey to work is 7 miles hence why the 40e was an option she end up doing most of her commute on electric, but expect the figures to be less than the advertised.
One big negative about the 40e is the boots space, I recommend you check this properly if space is one of the reason you going for the x5, the limited height makes it feels smaller than our old X3 traded in, note how you also loose the option for 3rd row seats with the e40.
With the M sport trim, the car looks spot on, with the 40d kidney grill in my opinion better one specially if going for a darker colour we settled for the Carbon black.

Worth checking the tread for the 40e in this forum for folks who drive the car every day - http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1102491
Thanks for the info - It would be really good to have an idea of your MPG.
I'm not fussed about the 3rd row seating..its just the two of us so even with my wife's needs the boot should still meet our requirements for luggage.
Appreciate 0