BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
aliberry11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Auto play music iPhone

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the system to play a certain playlist when the phone is connected USB or Bluetooth?

Right now when I switch from radio to media it automatically starts playing the songs from my iPhones "Songs" tab in the music app, my playlists are sorted by date added but the "songs" tab is set to alphabetical and I can't find a way to change it, I was my newest song to play without having to go in and select a certain playlist.

If this is not possible, does anyone know if a way to change the order of the "songs" tab on the iPhone? Running ios 7.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Oh, that's unfortunate. My E71 would always start where it left off. The only exception was if were screwing around with youtube and it fell out of the app for some reason (like the completely unusual action of touching the volume control knob, what?); then it would go to the top of the alphabetical list.

If my new one doesn't start where it left off, it will drive me bananas!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

This is one of the things that I really hate on this vehicle is the entertainment system.

There is really no way to modify a playlist other than what BMW has programed into the system. In other words, two people who share the vehicle who have different music tastes cannot have separate profiles with their music. Music is lumped all into one. This is really poor since any simple devise you can drag and drop into your own folder and play your folder. BMW does show separate folders for each person that you can drag and drop, but you can't play the folder

As long as you're the only one driving the vehicle, any music will start and stop where you left off, but as soon as the other person gets in your place is lost when you get back in and have to start over again.

With that said, the only way to get a different playlist to show up is to manually change the playlist on your iphone.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

You may want to try a UBS stick. Cheap, portable, easily changeable, and you can modify your list very easily. I started a thread (below) for Mac and iPhone, but the concept applies to any platform, and I found a link to a Windows based software that does the same (have not tried it). The key is having an M3U playlist.

I have not tried transferring an M3U list to the car's storage, but I like the USB option a lot, where in you have your playlist files, and the M3U files in the root directory.

It preserves song order in the list. It remembers the position. It displays song graphics for MP3 formats.

Thread Link:http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020173

_

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-28-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
aliberry11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

If I select a playlist start listening to a song, turn off the car and turn it back on, it will go back to where I left off, but if I open pandora or any other app that takes over the speakers and then close it, the music app defaults to playing from the the first song in the "songs" tab of the music app which is sorted alphabetically.

I just wish there was a way to sort the "songs" tab in the music app to "date added" instead of alphabetically like you can do ok a playlist.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Oh, that's unfortunate. My E71 would always start where it left off. The only exception was if were screwing around with youtube and it fell out of the app for some reason (like the completely unusual action of touching the volume control knob, what?); then it would go to the top of the alphabetical list.

If my new one doesn't start where it left off, it will drive me bananas!
It does start where it left off. Once in a blue moon, it will start from the default songs view. This is usually because I killed the music app on my phone, so the app itself is reset. But if you are playing from a playlist, then it will start from that point.
      08-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
It does start where it left off.
That's what mine does too. Always back to the same place in the same track unless I've had to close the music app for some reason. Mine is 'connected' via the USB or Bluetooth as I haven't loaded anything to the on board hard drive.
Appreciate 0