BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
atom4343
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 F15

Crackling sound from dashboard passenger side

hello, I hope someone can help me. I've been struggling to understand the origin of a very annoying crackling sound that seems to be coming from the inside of the dashboard on the passenger side. I tried to bang and fix all trims that can be involved in the area but nothing seems to change.

the noise appears on flat roads while driving around 90 mph or above.

I tried getting a video to record the noise, hope this can help more to understand the possible origin of this annoying noise.

thanks for the help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzt1nynj7w..._1312.MOV?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Driving 90 mph or above is not very safe.
I can not really hear anything except normal road noise, there is some clicking in the end of the video but I am not sure if this is what you are referring to? You don't have anything in the glovebox which can make this sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 02:18 AM   #3
atom4343
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 F15

thanks for the safety advice.. I know the sound recording is not amazing, I will try to get better audio quality next time.

unfortunately is not coming from the glovebox, not from the vents, not from the exterior plastic trims. It seems to be coming from under the larger section of the dash (nearer to the windshield).

it's driving me nuts...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
SMIK90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x3.5D

This sounds kinda dumb, but check your windshield wiper blades. If they're not quite sitting right, perhaps the buffeting from the wind could be causing your sound? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:26 AM   #5
spit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom4343 View Post
hello, I hope someone can help me. I've been struggling to understand the origin of a very annoying crackling sound that seems to be coming from the inside of the dashboard on the passenger side. I tried to bang and fix all trims that can be involved in the area but nothing seems to change.

the noise appears on flat roads while driving around 90 mph or above.

I tried getting a video to record the noise, hope this can help more to understand the possible origin of this annoying noise.

thanks for the help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzt1nynj7w..._1312.MOV?dl=0

I seem to have had something similar...I attached a piece of velcro in the place marked in the photo at the tangent place of 2 elements
Appreciate 0