BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Hoopdy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pending

Question 2016 X5 xDrive e40 - Overcoming Lane Keeping Speed Limitations

Hi All,

Disclaimer: I am completely new here and have tried to read through some of the posts in the coding section, but really am not savvy enough as of yet to nail down an answer to my specific question. I have never owned a BMW before. Basically, apologies if this exact question has been answered before in layman's terms.

Issue: I am looking at a very nicely equipped X5 (up until I saw this became available, I was planning on purchasing a similarly equipped 2017/2018 Volvo XC90). I drove the X5 for about an hour and tried to figure out the lane keeping assist function. It has every related option, and, for that matter, every single significant option (some of which, based on the Monroney sticker, seem redundant (e.g., Acc Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant (1900) and Driver Assistance Plus (1,700), which also includes "Active Driving Assistant").

In any event, I was driving around trying to get it to work similarly to the XC90s system (which used to be limited to something like 35 mph (in 2016), but this changed to 75 or 80 in 2017 (and there is a software update available to the same effect on the 2016s).

Basically, it did nothing as far as I could tell. I read the manual and some posts and it appears that it is limited to 35 or 38 mph, which really does not suit my needs (1000+ mile drives predominantly on highways). I also think I am a person who legitimately needs all these automated systems, as I tend to run into a lot of inanimate objects, to which my prior car could attest.

I don't see any software update from BMW to increase the speed limitation (as was the case with Volvo. I therefore suspect there are hardware limitations such that the system prior to 2019 (I think) isn't sophisticated enough to handle highspeed assistance).

Question: Can this be reprogrammed by a third party to increase the limit to, say, 75 or 80 mph?

Follow-Up Question: If so, and any of you all have done this, does it work well? From what I have quickly read, it seems that the newer system on the 2019+ models that are intended to function as such, do not do so very well (when compared to Volvo and some other makes on Car and Driver, etc.).

Any advice would be appreciated. I was actually a couple days away from buying a particular Volvo R Design (also pretty loaded), but it is still going through dealer prep and it has about 20k more miles (the X5 just crossed 60k and within my price range, the other Volvos I have found are not very well equipped base models). I really like the rest of the features. The brakes are a little spongy, one is lucky to get more than 10 miles out of the motor for every 3 hour level 2 charge, but it handles better than the XC90 and looks good.

So, yeah, I have about a day to decide and just saw the X5 yesterday evening.

Thanks in Advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hoopdy; 09-15-2022 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Add Options List
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I think you are a bit confused with options and what was offered for 2016, there are 3 different options we are talking about here from your build list, I don't have a 2016 build guide but according to 2014 version:

ZDA- Driver assistance package includes rear view camera and head up display.
ZDB- Driver assistance plus package includes blind spot assistant, surround view, speed limit and sign detection and comes with 2 options 5AT or 5AS. You have 5AT which adds Active Driving Assistant (includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning,
Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation) plus ACC Stop & Go (adaptive cruise control which can also brake in case of obstacles or pedestrians ahead) and option 5AR (Traffic Jam Assistant) can be retrofitted.
The feature you are asking for was not really available on F15, you can only get the active steering with traffic tam assist retrofit described here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=875827
And then you can code it to higher speed even it was not eventually made for it and originally was limited to 37 mph. So the answer to your question is:
This car AS IS can not actively keep your car in lane even with adaptive cruise control no matter how fast or slow you are going, but since you have ZDB+5AT you can retrofit 5AR and code it to higher speed. I hope this is not too long to read and makes sense. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
Hoopdy
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
I think you are a bit confused with options and what was offered for 2016, there are 3 different options we are talking about here from your build list, I don't have a 2016 build guide but according to 2014 version:

ZDA- Driver assistance package includes rear view camera and head up display.
ZDB- Driver assistance plus package includes blind spot assistant, surround view, speed limit and sign detection and comes with 2 options 5AT or 5AS. You have 5AT which adds Active Driving Assistant (includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning,
Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation) plus ACC Stop & Go (adaptive cruise control which can also brake in case of obstacles or pedestrians ahead) and option 5AR (Traffic Jam Assistant) can be retrofitted.
The feature you are asking for was not really available on F15, you can only get the active steering with traffic tam assist retrofit described here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=875827
And then you can code it to higher speed even it was not eventually made for it and originally was limited to 37 mph. So the answer to your question is:
This car AS IS can not actively keep your car in lane even with adaptive cruise control no matter how fast or slow you are going, but since you have ZDB+5AT you can retrofit 5AR and code it to higher speed. I hope this is not too long to read and makes sense. :-)
Thanks so much. That actually takes the Bimmer off the table. It is otherwise decked out though, so I am sure someone will pick it up quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Your call but this is very well equipped X5, if the price is right it might a very good option to consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
srybicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 98 M3

I have a 17 x40e with a 82500msrp. That one takes the cake I would jump all over it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #6
astonishingmatt
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15, 2014 BMW F30

I have this build (less the 20's). It's such a good ride. True, it doesn't have the lane keep ala the XC90, which I was also looking at, and was a bit disappointed in - but having had it, the driving dynamics of the X5 make me glad I didn't get the XC. The Stop & Go is enough for me to clear my head on the highway and in traffic, as it'll adjust speeds on the highway and come to a complete stop in traffic jams.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:50 PM   #7
Hoopdy
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. I went back and forth a bit and then was told by someone familiar with the recent service history that it would be a good idea to look elsewhere. Apparently, it has some issues.....
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      09-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopdy View Post
Thanks all. I went back and forth a bit and then was told by someone familiar with the recent service history that it would be a good idea to look elsewhere. Apparently, it has some issues.....
The thing that worries me about the 40e is that the engine never turns on until it's 'needed'...ie when you need to accelerate aggressively; and then it goes full throttle, full boost, high RPM on an ice cold engine. I wouldn't buy one without doing a compression test.

What specifically about the service history was concerning?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0