BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #67
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromkrypton View Post
Completely agree. In Québec from December 15 to March 15 winter tires are mandatory. They need to have the snow flake sign on the sidewall
Is it up north in Canada where you can use studded winter tires? Back in my Russian days in winter almost 95% of drivers used studded winter tires and they were so good and easy to drive in half iced hills and roads. They basically save you from sliding down on/from hills as well as make stopping so easy on iced roads - like you are during summer. Was surprised when I first came here that no one uses studded winter tires. Maybe some northern states allow usage, not sure
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #68
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromkrypton View Post
Completely agree. In Québec from December 15 to March 15 winter tires are mandatory. They need to have the snow flake sign on the sidewall
Is it up north in Canada where you can use studded winter tires? Back in my Russian days in winter almost 95% of drivers used studded winter tires and they were so good and easy to drive in half iced hills and roads. They basically save you from sliding down on/from hills as well as make stopping so easy on iced roads - like you are during summer. Was surprised when I first came here that no one uses studded winter tires. Maybe some northern states allow usage, not sure
Those are my exact winter tires. I loved studded tires on my 330 non xdrive but there were too many places studs are banned so no more studs for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #69
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
There are plenty of reasons why especially from a brand that prides itself on being a driver's car (despite having watered down versions currently of it's sporting past). Anyone who purchases a vehicle with the "sport" package is going to want the sporting feel and handling and you're not getting that with bogus all-season tires that do not perform well in any season.

This is an All-Season tire:

Its cheap, comfortable, old men wear them all year around and they feel it is formal and casual at the same time. It sucks 100% of the time.

This is a Summer high performance tire:

It only has one purpose... to get the most out of the vehicle at a certain time.

This is a Winter tire:

It is made from materials for a specific function in specific temperatures, conditions and only has two purposes. Traction and satisfaction.

This is the garbage you seen on 24"+ wheels:

Would you wear a flip flop or a running shoe in a snow storm? Probably not, so why would you put that on a several ton vehicle that travels at high rates of speed in a snow storm or on ice roads?
Omg Icon hit this subject perfectly!