07-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #23
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeteritas View Post
These comments are really interesting. I own a 2017 X5 35d, which is in the shop right now with BMW. I have a 2021 X5 as the loaner. I have to say that it is a HUGE improvement over the F15 in a few areas. Here are my thoughts:

1. STEERING -- the steering on the F15 is simply unacceptable for a BMW. Even in SPORT mode, it is loose and light and has very little quality feel of the road. And the vehicle does a really lousy job staying centered on the highway. Not as bad as a Subaru or a Hyundai, but it is right up there. The G05 steering is 1000% better. Good feel, good centering, much heavier when cruising on the highway. This is honestly my biggest complaint about the F15. I WISH there were a way to reprogram the steering to improve this.

2. SUSPENSION - The stock F15 suspension has a decent ride, but it has way too much body roll for my taste. I replaced my springs with Eibach Pro-Kit and now the handling is MUCH better. G05 is a much softer ride vs the F15, but it still handles well. Body roll is very controlled and appropriate for the vehicle size.

3. DRIVING POSITION - G05 is definitely higher and it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it. Steering wheel and gauge view is much better. In my F15, to get the steering wheel and seat in the right position, I can't see the top of the gauges. I saw others complain about the same issue. I am 6' tall, for reference... I don't have this issue at all in the G05. I like that the default driving position is intended to be a bit higher and I can comfortably reach the wheel and also see the gauges.

Those are the big key items that jump out at me. Obviously, the tech is very different in G05 vs F15, but I don't think that really needs to be discussed here as that is true for every jump in generation for every manufacturer.

Those are my thoughts!

Mark
I have DHP on my X5 50i, but I agree with your assessment on the suspension. The standard suspension on the G05 is much better. Also, the overall interior to me seems more luxurious in the G05.

Styling I suppose is a personal thing, but I like the M Sport in the G05 in extended Shadowline. Looks much more aggressive than the F15. Overall, the F15 has more of RRS-type styling, whereas the G05 is more similar to Asian SUVs like the MDX, or RX being more rounded on the sides and emphasizing the big grill up front. Just my 2 cents worth.

Overall, the G05 has a much more luxurious look to it. The F15 to me looks more sporty. I actually prefer the F85 over F95 (X5M) in terms of overall aesthetics...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #24
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeteritas View Post
These comments are really interesting. I own a 2017 X5 35d, which is in the shop right now with BMW. I have a 2021 X5 as the loaner. I have to say that it is a HUGE improvement over the F15 in a few areas. Here are my thoughts:

1. STEERING -- the steering on the F15 is simply unacceptable for a BMW. Even in SPORT mode, it is loose and light and has very little quality feel of the road. And the vehicle does a really lousy job staying centered on the highway. Not as bad as a Subaru or a Hyundai, but it is right up there. The G05 steering is 1000% better. Good feel, good centering, much heavier when cruising on the highway. This is honestly my biggest complaint about the F15. I WISH there were a way to reprogram the steering to improve this.

2. SUSPENSION - The stock F15 suspension has a decent ride, but it has way too much body roll for my taste. I replaced my springs with Eibach Pro-Kit and now the handling is MUCH better. G05 is a much softer ride vs the F15, but it still handles well. Body roll is very controlled and appropriate for the vehicle size.

3. DRIVING POSITION - G05 is definitely higher and it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it. Steering wheel and gauge view is much better. In my F15, to get the steering wheel and seat in the right position, I can't see the top of the gauges. I saw others complain about the same issue. I am 6' tall, for reference... I don't have this issue at all in the G05. I like that the default driving position is intended to be a bit higher and I can comfortably reach the wheel and also see the gauges.

Those are the big key items that jump out at me. Obviously, the tech is very different in G05 vs F15, but I don't think that really needs to be discussed here as that is true for every jump in generation for every manufacturer.

Those are my thoughts!

Mark

I agree, it's a big step up. Better power delivery and feel. Looks are subjective. I'm sure there is a similar thread on the E70 side about F15s.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
F15 looks much more elegant. g05 has 2 lobes of prostate stuck to its face (grille). i just don't like the shape of it (no issues with size of grille). I do like the X7s grille. I will be replacing my f15 with a X7 when the time comes.
I'm replying to my own post from the past.
Despite my post I did buy aG05 a year ago.
So I own a 30d f15 x5(us35d) (rear air suspension)and a fully optioned 30d g05 x5(air suspension all round)
I alternate between the two regularly and honestly love the f15 more as it feels smaller and is go kart like and is more comfortable (light steering boaty soft handling).
G05 is much more stable and sporty and doesn't feel like it relies on its tyres for traction. Interior of g05 is better looking. Seats on f15 weirdly are more comfortable but g05 sits higher for sure.
I like the looks of the f15 g05 looks bloated but the front end of g05 is more aggressive.
Front seats more spacious g05 rear seats more spacious f15 3rd row more spacious g05.
Rear passengers feel more comfortable in g05.
I'm very confused each time I step into either one they feel and drive differently I love them both equally.
Any other questions fire away.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I was in same position. I didn't like the G05 at all first but kept seeing them on the road and few modded ones. I bit the bullet, sold F15 and now few months later I got G05
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I'm replying to my own post from the past.
Despite my post I did buy aG05 a year ago.
So I own a 30d f15 x5(us35d) (rear air suspension)and a fully optioned 30d g05 x5(air suspension all round)
I alternate between the two regularly and honestly love the f15 more as it feels smaller and is go kart like and is more comfortable (light steering boaty soft handling).
G05 is much more stable and sporty and doesn't feel like it relies on its tyres for traction. Interior of g05 is better looking. Seats on f15 weirdly are more comfortable but g05 sits higher for sure.
I like the looks of the f15 g05 looks bloated but the front end of g05 is more aggressive.
Front seats more spacious g05 rear seats more spacious f15 3rd row more spacious g05.
Rear passengers feel more comfortable in g05.
I'm very confused each time I step into either one they feel and drive differently I love them both equally.
Any other questions fire away.
I can't disagree with anything you just said. Very insightful observations.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13531.00
      07-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #28
M3HNGRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 AW X5 35d Msport

F15 cause last model with diesel in the states...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 01:52 AM   #29
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

I have a completely different observations regarding the steering.

During the test drive of the G05 40i (very poorly equipped, but I doubt it had any influence on the steering) I absolutely hated the steering. Very light, zero road feel, zero. At the same time, I have very little complaints regarding my fully loaded F15 M50d with all sport boxes ticked. Granted, it's not a Lotus, but for a big suv - it's not bad at all.

Sure, G05 is much more modern, has better tech and soft hybrid is surprisingly effective at accelerating. But the looks and overall feel of the car - I find the F15 more attractive and more driver friendly.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #30
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
I have a completely different observations regarding the steering.

During the test drive of the G05 40i (very poorly equipped, but I doubt it had any influence on the steering) I absolutely hated the steering. Very light, zero road feel, zero. At the same time, I have very little complaints regarding my fully loaded F15 M50d with all sport boxes ticked. Granted, it's not a Lotus, but for a big suv - it's not bad at all.

Sure, G05 is much more modern, has better tech and soft hybrid is surprisingly effective at accelerating. But the looks and overall feel of the car - I find the F15 more attractive and more driver friendly.
As long as you are upgrading from the same level you will be happy, if not, you might be disappointed. So well equipped 50d to a 40i will seem like a downgrade. IMHO.

To me, BMW did a super job with the suspension on the new X5 and the tech is very well implemented. Most people prefer the new interior since it is more modern. However, I find the full leather F15, looks and feels the most luxurious since the leather wraps almost all surfaces. I also like the more analog aspect of the dash (contrasts nicely with our other car which is a Tesla Y Performance). LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #31
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
I got a 2018 f15 with the MPPSK and I am thinking to switch to a 2020 G05.
Main reasons would be for:
- The quieter cabin noise (the MPPSK is really noisy )
- Trailer hitch
- Android Auto (the F15 only has a wireless apple carplay and I have an Android phone ...)

If some people on the thread care to share more insights
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:55 PM   #32
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I think if the F15 can be equipped with the B58 motor, that'll be perfect for me. The B58 motor is way less emotional than the N55 in very many ways. Other than that, I still prefer the F15 body style, despite G05 may come equipped with more modernized standard options and upgrades for the user.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #33
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniemcm View Post
I got a 2018 f15 with the MPPSK and I am thinking to switch to a 2020 G05.
Main reasons would be for:
- The quieter cabin noise (the MPPSK is really noisy )
- Trailer hitch
- Android Auto (the F15 only has a wireless apple carplay and I have an Android phone ...)

If some people on the thread care to share more insights
Re the quiter noise my g05 has the msport pro exhaust it's pretty noisy inside in sports mode and outside too.
I don't use android auto as the bmw nav is spot on snd Spotify on bmw I drive is better than via android auto.
Don't think you'll be disappointed by switching from f15 to gp5 but should you spend all that extra cash is the main question and I guess you'll know.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #34
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Love my diesel but I know that with all the new green regulations one way or another they will push diesel cars off the streets soon (at least in California). TBH I don't have a car right now I can point my finger at and say "Thats what I want". G05 interior is absolutely beautiful but exterior is steep downgrade from F15 (just my opinion). I am waiting for G05 LCI and new hybrid to arrive and might switch to that model eventually but still on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 06:41 PM   #35
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Love my diesel but I know that with all the new green regulations one way or another they will push diesel cars off the streets soon (at least in California). TBH I don't have a car right now I can point my finger at and say "Thats what I want". G05 interior is absolutely beautiful but exterior is steep downgrade from F15 (just my opinion). I am waiting for G05 LCI and new hybrid to arrive and might switch to that model eventually but still on the fence.
I drove a G05 recently and it felt like a minor upgrade to the F15 that was missing some classic features that have been mentioned in this thread. I'll consider it when the time comes to replace the F15 but I didn't think "oh wow I want this"
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0