BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Active auto downpipes

So I pulled the trigger on downpipes from active seems like those guys know what they doing. Can anyone provide feedback on downpipes on f85/6?
Attached Images

08-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Can not give you any BMW feedback, but on LS platforms at 600ish hp, it's mainly for a killer sound. Catalytic substrate really dampens the V8 thump. You will enjoy that. You will get a cell unless you block or delete it. Power wise, the new cats are pretty good. The sound and quicker turbo spool will fool ya into thinking it is a huge gain. Do a before/after dyno , cats only , and you'll see 15-20rwhp. Nice increase but not massive. Enjoy !
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I just installed a set of downpipes two weeks ago and loving them. Mine are catted high flow.

Turbos spool much faster, acceleration improvement and great change in exhaust tone.

I do want to hear some feedback once you get your installed and if you hear the waste gate rattle that was notorious on the m5/m6 forums. I can barely hear it on my car due to the cats

I did not throw a CEL which was interesting. I am running race chip piggy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
So I pulled the trigger on downpipes from active seems like those guys know what they doing. Can anyone provide feedback on downpipes on f85/6?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo
I just installed a set of downpipes two weeks ago and loving them. Mine are catted high flow.

Turbos spool much faster, acceleration improvement and great change in exhaust tone.

I do want to hear some feedback once you get your installed and if you hear the waste gate rattle that was notorious on the m5/m6 forums. I can barely hear it on my car due to the cats

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Mine are catless and they are going in tomorrow I'm running dinan so we shall see how it goes
      08-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Downpipes installed so far so good will post a clip later
      08-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
gizmo958
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evo IX, 17 X5M

looking good ;-)
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      08-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo

Quote:
No CEL on mine as of yet either, no waste gate rattle that I can hear the note on the exhaust changed dramatically, loving it!
      08-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Here a clip, at 25 sec they are at OPEN position

08-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Killer
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      08-21-2016, 02:57 AM   #10
Adris
Private First Class
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW F92 M8

I am new here... never had downpipes... so basically if I would install catted downpipes I wont be facing CEL? don't really care about HP, my target is to improve exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adris
I am new here... never had downpipes... so basically if I would install catted downpipes I wont be facing CEL? don't really care about HP, my target is to improve exhaust note.
Hi-Flow cat does not guarantee no CEL.
I would just go with Catless and get the O2 spacer or mini cat.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      08-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Quote:
You mentioned you have Dinan Piggyback installed eventhough on Active website they mention that their software is needed inorder to avoid a CEL. Is it a matter of time? or is Dinan software is able to get around having a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M
Quote:
You mentioned you have Dinan Piggyback installed eventhough on Active website they mention that their software is needed inorder to avoid a CEL. Is it a matter of time? or is Dinan software is able to get around having a CEL?
Well there is no straight answer I just don't know but I do know that dinan can't manipulate it I'm not sure thou the car w the software might of just recalibrate the sensors
      08-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adris
Not really, but for me it somewhat of a waste of replacing catted with catted
      08-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
The only proper way to delete the CEL is a back door access to the DME. Which is mostly can be done via Flash Tune.

Others method of clearing CEL are as follow:
- OBD2 dongle or CANBUS connected devices (such as; Burger Tuning / BMS JB4, Akrapovic, and others) are just a timer that will reset clear all fault codes in the ECU. There are a lot of bad sides of this.
1. ECU never in a ready mode, which means the engine is not run optimized or mostly rich.
2. You will never see a CEL if there is in fact other fault going on with the car other than the O2 sensor fault.

- O2 Sensor spacer has been known to be able to work. But it is hit and miss.
The downside, you may have clearance issue.

- Mini Cat, lately it has been very popular. You just need to get the best one in the market, I believe it is bigdaddiesgarage.com.
No downside known so far except you may have clearance issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
The only proper way to delete the CEL is a back door access to the DME. Which is mostly can be done via Flash Tune.

- OBD2 dongle or CANBUS connected devices (such as; Burger Tuning / BMS JB4, Akrapovic, and others) are just a timer that will reset clear all fault codes in the ECU. There are a lot of bad sides of this.
1. ECU never in a ready mode, which means the engine is not run optimized or mostly rich.
2. You will never see a CEL if there is in fact other fault going on with the car other than the O2 sensor fault.

- Mini Cat, lately it has been very popular. You just need to get the best one in the market, I believe it is bigdaddiesgarage.com.
What you are saying though doesn't explain the ability of Active ECU tune they recommend with their setup could their software feed false data to ECU to make it think it is running stock DP?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

What you are saying though doesn't explain the ability of Active ECU tune they recommend with their setup could their software feed false data to ECU to make it think it is running stock DP?
That I don't know. I never seen their product being used around my area.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #18
Tightt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M/2024 M3 X-Comp

Quote:
Hey how has your truck reacted to the downpipes? I installed mine (active Auto...same as you) over the weekend and Im getting a bit of a harsh idle upon start-up. My truck also has the Dinan software like yours.

How is yours performing?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks at the joint. False air can make an 02 sensor wonky.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightt
Quote:
Hey how has your truck reacted to the downpipes? I installed mine (active Auto...same as you) over the weekend and Im getting a bit of a harsh idle upon start-up. My truck also has the Dinan software like yours.

How is yours performing?
So far so good actually, I had a few days a problem where my rpm would jump up and down and it stalled once at that point but other then that I didn't have an issue thus far
      08-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So far so good actually, I had a few days a problem where my rpm would jump up and down and it stalled once at that point but other then that I didn't have an issue thus far
Do you think maybe the car needed to adjust and understand the new setup? I do not want to blow the cover on my project but i just installed Akra exhaust and i noticed when i tap on my gas paddle while trying to park in my garage my RPM went up and down and my car stalled as well. I will give it another 100 miles and see if this issue exist or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #22
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think maybe the car needed to adjust and understand the new setup? I do not want to blow the cover on my project but i just installed Akra exhaust and i noticed when i tap on my gas paddle while trying to park in my garage my RPM went up and down and my car stalled as well. I will give it another 100 miles and see if this issue exist or not.
It may.... but I don't think it would be the issue, I think the ecu gives it a wrong reading since the is a pre o2 sensor and post... the once that are post the cats needs to be turned off.... and as far as I understand the only way to do so is reprogram the ecu and this is where one of my dmes got fried so yeah