BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #23
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Also, I think you will find that there really isn't a competitor to our X5Ms out there. I went through analysis paralysis with comparing P-Cayenne turbos, Rover SVR (almost bought), and what else is there?? Bottom line, nothing comes close to our Ms at this price point AND freebies like maintenance. I know BMW is totally pushing the " reliability" card here but honestly those others don't exactly move the needle in their direction regarding reliability. Maybe a Cayenne turbo s but it's alot more money and the look is somewhat questionable.....let alone that our Xs are just as fast if not faster.

Stick with the X5M, it's really the best out there and rides like a M5, just higher off the ground!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #24
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I appreciate your advice. It is a tricky situation. We are friends with the dealership owners, and their son, also a friend, is the GM. We have a great relationship with them, and wouldn't want to ruin it by being jerks.

I have spoken to a lemon lawyer, the one that helped us win the three cases against VW/Audi/Porsche.

I have also put in our requests with BMW Corporate. We will see how things play out.

Right now, it's nice having my X5 M back, and working correctly. I'm still trying to sort out why all of the loaner cars I've had this past year get sat radio channels up to the 900 range, but my X5 M can only get to channel 220. No one seems to have a good answer as to why. I'm currently waiting for answers to all the emails and phone calls I've put out.
I hope they have it fixed this time. IMHO no other vehicle on the market can compare to the overall performance factor of the X5M. BMW needs to fix or replace it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #25
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I hope they have it fixed this time. IMHO no other vehicle on the market can compare to the overall performance factor of the X5M. BMW needs to fix or replace it.
It seems fixed, minus the damage done to it during various service visits, all by accident, which the dealership will repair.

Corporate, when I called, commented on the number of BMWs I've owned for 20+ years, and said it bodes well for me getting one of the "out" options I offered them, before seriously pursuing a lemon case.

I've done a lot of thinking through this process what I would get if I gave up the X5 M, and I keep arriving back at the AMG 63 G Wagon. It's not an X5 M, but we will have the M4 for track/sport driving, and the G Wagon would be a fun departure from most of what I've owned during my life.

As of now, the plan is to keep an X5 M, either this, or a replacement, for another 18 months, then make a switch to something new. The M4 has an ETA of 8/25/16, so right now, I'm focused on transitioning my disappointment from the X5 M into excitement about a vehicle I spent 7+ months designing with the USA VIP Special Order Exec, who, by the way, is a FANTASTIC woman. I cannot give higher praise to someone in BMW than I can to her!!! I'll post photos of the M4 when it comes in.....
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #26
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

I liked the G as well but they too are over priced (but hold their value), outdated exterior and interior and have heard while it's a power thing in a straight line, it corners like shit and does gave a rough/firm ride. So it's not so good for long trips.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It seems fixed, minus the damage done to it during various service visits, all by accident, which the dealership will repair.

Corporate, when I called, commented on the number of BMWs I've owned for 20+ years, and said it bodes well for me getting one of the "out" options I offered them, before seriously pursuing a lemon case.

I've done a lot of thinking through this process what I would get if I gave up the X5 M, and I keep arriving back at the AMG 63 G Wagon. It's not an X5 M, but we will have the M4 for track/sport driving, and the G Wagon would be a fun departure from most of what I've owned during my life.

As of now, the plan is to keep an X5 M, either this, or a replacement, for another 18 months, then make a switch to something new. The M4 has an ETA of 8/25/16, so right now, I'm focused on transitioning my disappointment from the X5 M into excitement about a vehicle I spent 7+ months designing with the USA VIP Special Order Exec, who, by the way, is a FANTASTIC woman. I cannot give higher praise to someone in BMW than I can to her!!! I'll post photos of the M4 when it comes in.....
Did they replace the batteries or was it entirely programming ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #28
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5
Quote:

Did they replace the batteries or was it entirely programming ?
They said the batteries were fine, and did not switch them out. They said it was all software related.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #29
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I hope everything works out. Sounds like you will be taken care of.

Our Cayenne GTS has been bulletproof. However it isn't equivalent to the X5M and is smaller. The Cayenne Turbos are way more expensive and don't lease well. A G wagon is different and might be fun. I had a ML63 and hated it - even though it sounded great. Just drove poorly and the electronics were simply awful.

I hope I can see your M4. It sounds like a special car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #30
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

You have got to fucking be kidding me.......

Not even two days after getting the car back, it's all beginning all over again. Random things wouldn't work this morning, it sometimes will remember old settings from months ago, despite having supposedly been completely recoded, other times, It's a complete blank slate, like I just took delivery of it.

It just culminated with me driving the vehicle at 45 MPH up a major road, and the instrument cluster shut off, iDrive went blank, music stopped, the steering wheel began retracting and tilting up, but the engine was still going, and I'm still going 45 MPH, with little way to control the vehicle. In essence all tech just stopped. It then goes "click click" and reboots, but not everything rebooted, but enough of it did that I could make it back to my house, which was not too far away from where this happened. Fortunately, I was on my way home when this occurred.

Am I the only one on this forum having these sorts of issues?!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #31
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

That's crazy to hear all the issues you're facing.

The only electronic issues I've had are:

-HUD did not work for one hour - never had that issue again
-Steering wheel adjustment didn't work for one hour - never had that issue again

So far so good.
My car is now 16 months old and 46 000 kms (over 28000 miles).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #32
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Mine is 15 months old, and has 12111 miles on it.

I've been assigned a corporate case manager. I'm requesting the vehicle be replaced at this point.

Service records indicate it has been in for repairs virtually every month I've owned it, sometimes more than twice in a month. First PuMA case for this car with software issues was 6 days after taking delivery, and less than 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #33
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

UrbanExtant, bring that car back to the dealer (your friends) and tell them you want a new X5M. How much shit are you going to put up with. They are the one's burning bridges not you.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #34
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Caveat emptor too bad some sap will by this buyback after bmw claims it fixed its issues not to show its ugly head again. Hope the sap that buys this is smart enough to see all the service records. And ask if it was a buyback. They can't lie and say it wasn't a buyback, they can say they do not know.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #35
knepsterd
Major
Rep

between the 50 and x5m and 35d nagging issues sounds like really poor QC on BMW's part
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

With that said, I would ask them what THEY are going to do with THEIR lemon. You have a TON of leverage right now that diminishes daily. New M4 on the way, X5M with too many issues to name. I'd ask myself what would make me happy and then crank the pressure up and give them a few days to make it right under the threat that they can keep the M4 AND lemon the X5M.

For me personally, after a few days I would demand a new X5M from them and package it by buying the M4 also. But that's just me. Good luck !

I'm a scorched earth kinda guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #37
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:

For me personally, after a few days I would demand a new X5M from them and package it by buying the M4 also. But that's just me. Good luck !
This was the request etched into stone today with Corporate. Take the current X5 M back, and commission a new one with the same options to be made, and delivered. The process has begun. I will have an answer next week what they will do. It was said cars have been replaced with fewer issues than mine has had. They received 15 months of service records around noon today, and were fairly shocked at what they saw.

As of this afternoon, the Corporate case manager has deemed the vehicle unsafe to be driven. I'm waiting for a flatbed tow truck to come get the vehicle out of my driveway and get it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #38
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

On the way to the dealership. If I never see it again, it'll be too soon!

On a good note, it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend on Cape Cod, and I have a 2016 M235i Convertible as a loaner car. One must try to look to the positives in even the very worst situations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #39
knepsterd
Major
Rep

Buh-Bye
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #40
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This was the request etched into stone today with Corporate. Take the current X5 M back, and commission a new one with the same options to be made, and delivered. The process has begun. I will have an answer next week what they will do. It was said cars have been replaced with fewer issues than mine has had. They received 15 months of service records around noon today, and were fairly shocked at what they saw.

As of this afternoon, the Corporate case manager has deemed the vehicle unsafe to be driven. I'm waiting for a flatbed tow truck to come get the vehicle out of my driveway and get it to the dealership.
Good riddance ! That thing should be sent back to Spartanburg and dissected. Should be a learning tool for Lemon Assembly. I hope you have a great weekend. You made the correct choice and a new X5M will put a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #41
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good riddance ! That thing should be sent back to Spartanburg and dissected. Should be a learning tool for Lemon Assembly. I hope you have a great weekend. You made the correct choice and a new X5M will put a smile on your face.
Thanks, I agree. I told them today I don't ever want it back. I will never feel safe in that particular car when it's computer issues today brought me within 6 inches of driving off a 15 foot ledge into wooded wetland conservation land.

My one request with the replacement I asked for, if they approve it, is I get to pick different colors, but keep the same options. I don't want another Donington Grey over Mugello, because it will forever remind me of the horrible 15 month experience I've had with this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #42
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Wow that really sucks. Here I am on the cape on vacation keeping an eye out for a DG X5M the entire time too. I think I pass by a BMW dealer yesterday heading to the mall.

I was going to suggest getting a 2017 model with all your issues and looks like you already got the ball rolling on this. Makes me wonder if something the dealer did caused this to happen somehow.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #43
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

The interesting thing the dealership, and Corporate should consider in this situation is that if they hand me back the car, saying "it's fixed" and I get hurt because it has issues even remotely related to what's happened the previous 15 months, it leaves them liable. I don't see how they can come to a conclusion beyond replacing the car. If they choose any other route, they open themselves up to so much liability, any attorney on the planet would tell them they're stupid, just write it off, and replace the car......

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 08-27-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #44
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Sorry to hear that the problems have worsened. Hopefully you'll get a new one - good news is that you would get the new iDrive with the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0