BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

20" Wheel Shopping- offsets?

I posted my first thread (rant) the other day about my subtle disappointment with some of the aesthetic exterior changes from the E70 to my new F15. I have the standard trim on a Sophistico Gray. Now it's time to do something about it. I'm going to start with wheels- and I need some help finding direction in my search.

MUSTS-
I want a NEARLY flush fit to the wheel well - maybe a thumb's width of complete fender coverage.

I want the wheels to be 20".

I want the wheels to have the ability to accept BMW center caps.

I want to go with wider tires

Wheels and tires $3k or less - don't need fancy forged BBS or HRE for my family hauler...

QUESTIONS-
What offsets will fill in the wheel wells on the standard trim x5?
-keep in mind, I want 20's -- keep in mind, i don't have the m-sport extended fender flares.

Square or staggered setup? I don't want to trip anything with the xdrive- i.e. dash error codes, dangerous blah blah - I know the m-sport is staggered, but perhaps it's coded for that... i figure a subtle stagger won't hurt anything.

what brands are popular for the x5? same names as i associate with my m3?

run flat- or not?? I'd prefer not, but what to do if wife gets a flat? fix-a-flat in the trunk? buy a donut?

I'm sure some of this info is already in the forum somewhere, but i did a few searches and didn't see anything that caught my attention. thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

rob
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Hi,
Websites like alloywheelsdirect and tire rack can give you an idea on offsets and prices
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13
Hi,
Websites like alloywheelsdirect and tire rack can give you an idea on offsets and prices
Kinda sorta- but I don't want OEM wheel sizes- I want offsets to fill in the wheel well. Tire Rack only does a "fair" job of laying out OEM spec fitments. The majority of the wheels they offer are pretty cheap too. I am looking at wheels like the Avant Garde M510, BBS CHR, Vorsteiner FF-01, VMR flow-formed, etc. Tire rack is pretty awesome for tires- I'll give you that, but I'm not to that point yet... I will however check out the other site you mentioned. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

You are welcome, i usually refer to the stock offsets at alloywheelsdirect and compare them to the aftermarket offsets
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep

Can anyone answer any of my questions?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

i will say...on my msport

i used 30mm spacers on all corners, and even if i went aftermarket rims, i would stick with the spacing it had now. no more offest than whatever stock is plus 30mm.....

you cant "Fill the Gap" to a thumbs width unless you lower, and even then, you would have to go lower then the aftermarket options available, or go with an up size like 22-24 inches of wheel.....

see if you can find my posts with pictures to look at offset and wheel gap spacing with 30mm spacers added.

if you took everything ive done so far, and dropped it on baggs, the spacing would be cose to perfect in my eyes.
      12-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
FOund it
\
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1046232
      12-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
FOund it
\
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1046232
Thanks that's a start. I'll check out the pictures. When I said thumbs width- I was referring to the distance from the furthest protrusion of the tire's sidewall to the outside edge of the wheel wheel/fender. In other words- left to right- not up and down. I'm fine with wheel gap in a vertical sense- it's an SUV after.... I just cannot stand how lousy it looks with the wheels pushed in so far into the wheel wells. It reminds me of the newer Ford Escapes. I saw a Mazda CX-5 today and I couldn't believe how similar it looked to the F15. Especially the back end. 20" wheels, subtle 1.5" drop, wheels flush with outside of fenders- wider rubber.... All things that could give it the "ultimate driving machine" look. All these crossovers are beginning to look identical. Surprised you were able to go all the way to 30mm with the M Sport- I figured they were already much more aggressive...
Appreciate 0