BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

19' vs 20' Wheels - Pros & Cons

I am planning to finalize my order on the new X5 and have a question on the wheels.

What are the pros and cons for getting 20' wheels. Will there be any difference in MPG. Will it be hard to apply brakes because of bigger tires. Will there be any difference in height between the tire and body.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Below are the pro/con list I used to make my choice in favor of the 20":

Pros:
- 20" do a better job filling the large opening of the F15's wheel arches
- Steamroller appearance from the rear
- Less sidewall better road handling (subjective)

Cons:
-Summer tires vs. all season - 20" has limited or no all-season/snow tire offering
-Replacement cost, Per tire cost - 20" more expensive
-Staggered off-set (wider in the rear) - no tire rotation

MPG - In my case (20" m-sport 469's) mileage does not seem impacted at all according to the projected 23/26/31 economy ratings. Mine has been exceeding in the city & combined segments and dead on for highway and I'm just barely out of break-in (1,400 miles).

Braking - The system is hydraulic with vacuum assist so no additional effort will be required, regardless of wheel/tire combo. To really know if performance is degraded with +size wheel/tire, think you need a rotating mass calculation and with some friction coefficient thrown in.

Looking at this objectively, the pro list is all very subjective, but I'd say they are heavily weighted. Depending on the point of view, some could say the pros above are worthless and the con's tell you everything you need to know.

With anything thing falling in the "performance" or visual enhancement category, it is going to come down to personal choice.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

This topic has been discussed on various posts. After reading these posts my understanding is:
20":
- far superior look; really fits the overall large body of the F15 BUT
- does not last as long
- more expensive to replace
- different size front/rear
- easier to scratch/brake the wheel if you hit a major pot hole
- slightly firmer ride

Bottom line is: the looks for the 20" are absolutely amazing! I decided for those just because of how they look. But I understand that they will be more high maintenance compared to the 19" and they will need to be replaced sooner (I heard people saying 12k miles?) and will cost more per tire.
If you really like both looks (19" v 20") then do yourself a favor and stick to the 19" and you won't regret.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Below are the pro/con list I used to make my choice in favor of the 20":

Pros:
- 20" do a better job filling the large opening of the F15's wheel arches
- Steamroller appearance from the rear
- Less sidewall better road handling (subjective)

Cons:
-Summer tires vs. all season - 20" has limited or no all-season/snow tire offering
-Replacement cost, Per tire cost - 20" more expensive
-Staggered off-set (wider in the rear) - no tire rotation

MPG - In my case (20" m-sport 469's) mileage does not seem impacted at all according to the projected 23/26/31 economy ratings. Mine has been exceeding in the city & combined segments and dead on for highway and I'm just barely out of break-in (1,400 miles).

Braking - The system is hydraulic with vacuum assist so no additional effort will be required, regardless of wheel/tire combo. To really know if performance is degraded with +size wheel/tire, think you need a rotating mass calculation and with some friction coefficient thrown in.

Looking at this objectively, the pro list is all very subjective, but I'd say they are heavily weighted. Depending on the point of view, some could say the pros above are worthless and the con's tell you everything you need to know.

With anything thing falling in the "performance" or visual enhancement category, it is going to come down to personal choice.
Thanks for providing the information Clifton.

Does this mean we can't stay on 20' all year. Do we have to swap tires in summer and winter?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2025 View Post
This topic has been discussed on various posts. After reading these posts my understanding is:
20":
- far superior look; really fits the overall large body of the F15 BUT
- does not last as long
- more expensive to replace
- different size front/rear
- easier to scratch/brake the wheel if you hit a major pot hole
- slightly firmer ride

Bottom line is: the looks for the 20" are absolutely amazing! I decided for those just because of how they look. But I understand that they will be more high maintenance compared to the 19" and they will need to be replaced sooner (I heard people saying 12k miles?) and will cost more per tire.
If you really like both looks (19" v 20") then do yourself a favor and stick to the 19" and you won't regret.
Thanks for the info. Does the tire only last 12K miles? Do you know how long 19' will last?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
Thanks for providing the information Clifton.

Does this mean we can't stay on 20' all year. Do we have to swap tires in summer and winter?
The factory tire on a 20" is a sporty summer compound. Xdrive might help these tires in frosty conditions, but I guess it depends on the snowfall in your area.

I only have winter experience with summer tires on rear wheel drive cars - its only fun unless you are trying to get somewhere in a forward direction.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
Thanks for the info. Does the tire only last 12K miles? Do you know how long 19' will last?
I got 25k out of the dunlops on a previous X5 (e70) but people have complained about those and rave about the continentals. So I doubt you would only get 12k, should get at least 20 or 25.

BUT, if you get cold and snow in the winter, it's always better to use winter tires, which will prolong the life of your summers anyway. This was why I ultimately went to 20's for the summer (after regretfully skipping them on my order) and will convert my 19's to winter wheels with snow tires). In cold temperatures, the all-seasons just don't stop very well. Maybe the first year they will be fine, but after that I have found them to be very slippery when trying to stop. So it's not just about moving but turning and stopping more so. So if you're going to use a winter set up, might as well have the better looking bigger ones for summer
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
its only fun unless you are trying to get somewhere in a forward direction.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Shorty Shorty
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 e70 soon to be F15

25k is easily achievable out of a set of tyres. Size of tyre makes no real difference to the life, all about your driving style, correct pressures and balance.

I've run 19s,20s and 21s on the e70, and my new F15 that i'm picking up Saturday will have 21s.

Pricing is all fairly similar, just got to hunt around for the best deals.

Ride wise I think there is very little in it, mainly because they have all been run flats, a wall of steal around the tyre.

Aesthetically 19s just aren't cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

So am I to understand that all 20" wheels come with performance tires and no other choices?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
So am I to understand that all 20" wheels come with performance tires and no other choices?
correct
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
correct
What do you think the logic is behind this decision? Do you think most people order the performance tires?

I was thinking all-weather tires would be a better option for me and I would be willing to spend more for the 20" wheels!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert
Quote:
correct
What do you think the logic is behind this decision? Do you think most people order the performance tires?

I was thinking all-weather tires would be a better option for me and I would be willing to spend more for the 20" wheels!
Two things really.

1. Yes, most people upgrading to the larger size likely do it for aesthetics and performance, both of which favor performance tires over all seasons

2. Perhaps because of #1, there simply are not any all season run flat tires in that size and BMW has made a decision to use only run flat tires
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Difference between the 19's and 20's is the 20's look small, the 19's even smaller!

Why 21's aren't a factory option I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Personally, I think the 20's look just right, not big but not too small. But if you want a big wheel look, they would be too small for you. The 19's are definitely a bit on the small side, very small if you have an M sport because they don't fill the flared fenders.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Two things really.

1. Yes, most people upgrading to the larger size likely do it for aesthetics and performance, both of which favor performance tires over all seasons

2. Perhaps because of #1, there simply are not any all season run flat tires in that size and BMW has made a decision to use only run flat tires
Thanks! I think that makes sense. So if I would order 19" wheels and get all season tires they are not run flat? Which means I would have to order the spare tire?

Does anyone make 20" all season run flat tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
Thanks! I think that makes sense. So if I would order 19" wheels and get all season tires they are not run flat? Which means I would have to order the spare tire?

Does anyone make 20" all season run flat tires?
No, all BMW's come with run flats (all sizes). What I'm saying is that no-one makes 20" all season run flat tires. Sorry, when I said "that size," I was still referring to the 20's.

I originally wasn't sure if I would like the style of the 469m's, so ordered the car with the 19" 467m's (we have a 35i M sport). When I then started shopping for a 19" winter set, I found it wasn't going to be much, if at all, cheaper than getting a set of the 20" 469m takeoff's. So it just made more sense to upgrade to the 20's (which had grown on me since my original order) and use our 19's for winter. In the end, the price difference will be that I still need to buy a set of snows for the 19's, but definitely won't need to replace the oem tires on the 19's when I turn the car in. Still though, I probably wouldn't have had to do that anyway, since we'll run winters 5 months or so a year.

So my advice, if you plan to use a winter set, upgrade to the 20's on your order and get a winter set from tire rack or find someone selling 18's or 19's to use for winter.. If you don't plan on a winter set and trust all-seasons and want to run them all year, you'll probably need to stick with 19's or get the 20's and switch to all-seasons with a spare tire in your trunk.

Last edited by chrisny; 05-13-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, all BMW's come with run flats (all sizes). What I'm saying is that no-one makes 20" all season run flat tires. Sorry, when I said "that size," I was still referring to the 20's.
OK got it now. Thanks for your patience!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Why would you need a spare in the trunk for the 20s and not the 19s.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj
Why would you need a spare in the trunk for the 20s and not the 19s.
Because they don't make 20" all season run flats. So if one really wanted all seasons on 20's, you'd have no run flats and thus might want to get a spare. It's optional, does not come with the car. With 19's, you can easily get all season run flats, which is what would come on the car if you ordered 19's.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #21
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Because they don't make 20" all season run flats. So if one really wanted all seasons on 20's, you'd have no run flats and thus might want to get a spare. It's optional, does not come with the car. With 19's, you can easily get all season run flats, which is what would come on the car if you ordered 19's.
Does any manufacturer produce 20" Winter RFs (in UK)?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #22
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Does any manufacturer produce 20" Winter RFs (in UK)?
That's what I think is so strange about the lack of all-season run flats, there are Runflat winter tires in 20". I'm assuming these are available in the UK as well.. Now, it doesn't guarantee these are run flats, but says 'most are run flats,' so presumably, they make them. Maybe someone that has purchased this package can confirm.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...cessories.aspx

Last edited by chrisny; 05-14-2014 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0