BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
NZPolarBear
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d M-Sport

Valet Question...

Folks has anybody figured out a simple solution to the problem of Valet Parking. I have Comfort Access and Valet Park quite frequently.

The problem is that when I collect the vehicle the seat and steering wheel are often moved. I don't have a problem with the driver adjusting to drive safely etc but the car remembers the position from the valet driver, not from my preference... Yes I can press "1" on the seat and get my seating position back but the steering wheel needs to be moved manually.

I could use the second key fob which would fix that problem, but having the second fob everywhere I go is a problem. I don't want to carry both and can't leave the second one in the car because with comfort access if anybody touches the doors they will open.

Is there a step by step process here to get my seat and steering wheel positions sorted then fixed so they return to the same place even if the last driver moved the seat??

Hope that makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
OlafandSwen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35X-line

This is weird, did you try holding the "1" button? I valet everyday and once the car is on i need to keep holding the memory button, not just press it once. Hope thats it...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm, you may want to re-set the memory with the steering wheel positioned. I tried mine and it work with just one press of the memory button.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
NZPolarBear
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Hmm, you may want to re-set the memory with the steering wheel positioned. I tried mine and it work with just one press of the memory button.
Awesome, I'll try that. I'm also hoping somebody has played with the iDrive setting to return the seat to the previous position... Does this return to the position set for the fob; if it is turned off...

I'm kind of hoping there is a better answer than me having to recall my seat position after every valet. But I will try that for now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

NZPolarBear , I tried that I-Drive setting, and that didn't work with a keyfob press. Not sure if it does it with the newer firmware, since mine still on the first batch of F15 firmware.
AFAIK, it only do that when you use different set of keyfob.
Maybe other members with 2 drivers can chime in, as I don't let my wife drive my X5.
But I know that it does that with my F10 where my wife drives it daily.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZPolarBear View Post
Awesome, I'll try that. I'm also hoping somebody has played with the iDrive setting to return the seat to the previous position... Does this return to the position set for the fob; if it is turned off...

I'm kind of hoping there is a better answer than me having to recall my seat position after every valet. But I will try that for now.

Thanks
How about setting up a "Guest Profile" and programming one of the 8 radio buttons to select it and another for your personal profile. then just before you give the car to the valet select the Guest profile. Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I also do the valet parking often.

I did use the Guest Profile. But, sometimes, when switching back from Guest to my profile, everything is put back except the seat position. Anyway I haven't spent time to figure it out.

So, what I'm doing now is -

Before surrendering the car to the valet, I -
* switch to Guest profile.
* exist the setting in iDrive.
* put on the plastic cover.
* tip.

When getting the car back -
* remove the cover.
* put back my profile.
* press the memory button to get my seat position back if the seat isn't moved after my profile is restored.
* tip.

Note: I have the Ivory White seat, so my dealer gave me some plastic covers for the chairs to "protect" my seats...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Valet parking is always the problem.

Tesla forum has talked about this for years, but even Tesla couldn't do too much control to it yet. They now only can reduce the power when you do the valet parking. It can also be monitored by the smart phone. Luckily, in SoCal, most of valet guys know how to take care of Tesla.

I haven't seen the best one for the valet mode yet, but this one below has the unique feature which is helpful.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/18/v...-red-corvette/
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Valet parking is always the problem.

Tesla forum has talked about this for years, but even Tesla couldn't do too much control to it yet. They now only can reduce the power when you do the valet parking. It can also be monitored by the smart phone. Luckily, in SoCal, most of valet guys know how to take care of Tesla.

I haven't seen the best one for the valet mode yet, but this one below has the unique feature which is helpful.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/18/v...-red-corvette/
Coool
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:11 AM   #10
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Idrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZPolarBear View Post
Folks has anybody figured out a simple solution to the problem of Valet Parking. I have Comfort Access and Valet Park quite frequently.

The problem is that when I collect the vehicle the seat and steering wheel are often moved. I don't have a problem with the driver adjusting to drive safely etc but the car remembers the position from the valet driver, not from my preference... Yes I can press "1" on the seat and get my seating position back but the steering wheel needs to be moved manually.

I could use the second key fob which would fix that problem, but having the second fob everywhere I go is a problem. I don't want to carry both and can't leave the second one in the car because with comfort access if anybody touches the doors they will open.

Is there a step by step process here to get my seat and steering wheel positions sorted then fixed so they return to the same place even if the last driver moved the seat??

Hope that makes sense!

I believe there is a setting deep in Idrive that allows you to change the setting to remember the key vs last seat position. I can't be certain but will look for it when I get my car back next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Our two keys behave as they are supposed to, unless both keys walk in the car at about the same time, and then you never knows whose seat/steering/mirror settings you get. The iDrive settings are identical for us as the big boss does not bother with iDrive much.

Also, you can save a named profile in one of the eight keys, and that way, even with the other key you can press the selected 1-8 button and it goes to your settings.

The car needs a "valet mode", which some cars have. Such modes also drastically reduce power.
      03-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
NZPolarBear
Rep

retx I'm going to do as you have suggested. I have now re-saved my seat position and it does now also move the steering wheel which is great.

I will now put the car into the Guest profile when i drop off the car. I have now saved a button to select my standard profile so when picking back up again all I need to do is press a single button to hopefully select all my settings again...

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Memory button remembers steering/seat/lumbar/side bolster/headrest/side mirror positions.
Appreciate 0