BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

View Poll Results: Alubeam Chrome Matte or Satin Grey?
Alubeam Chrome Matte 26 45.61%
Satin Grey 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

09-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

My buddy just told me the wrap holds up really well against rock chips and also are very cheap to fix.
      09-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #24
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
My buddy just told me the wrap holds up really well against rock chips and also are very cheap to fix.
Is it easily removable (lease-end)?
PS: Thanks for the video, that looked a lot easier than I thought and it looks like the most time consuming part is taking the car apart and then putting it back with all the trims & lights off. I can't imagine it being easier on later model BMW's. I tried to install LED blinkers on my E70, I gave up. To replace the amber reflectors, you pretty much have to take apart that side including removal of the wheel.. Kudos to those guys, that bimmer looked amazing in orange with black roof.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Is it easily removable (lease-end)?
PS: Thanks for the video, that looked a lot easier than I thought and it looks like the most time consuming part is taking the car apart and then putting it back with all the trims & lights off. I can't imagine it being easier on later model BMW's. I tried to install LED blinkers on my E70, I gave up. To replace the amber reflectors, you pretty much have to take apart that side including removal of the wheel.. Kudos to those guys, that bimmer looked amazing in orange with black roof.
I would never do this myself, lol. Yes, it is easily removable. I bought my car, so I don't really have to worry about leasing. My buddy is an expert in this. He restores cars for a hobby as well. As long as you get it done by a professional, it's not problem at all. I'm a hands on kinda guy and enjoy learning to do things myself. Before my X5, I never even knew how to jump a car properly or where to access the headlights and turn signals before ...you just have to start somewhere. Now I find a lot of these things really easy to do. If you asked me what a resistor harness for HIDs was a few weeks ago, I would have been like . Also, majority of the things I answer or explain to people on the forums is through simply reading and searching for info . After I understand it properly, I post it to help. I've become much more knowledgeable on the forums due to all of you members for which I am grateful.
      09-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #26
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I just had throw this in there.....if this finish could be done on the napa mocha with matching stitching I might have done and my wife would have promptly thrown me out of the house: https://flic.kr/p/e2kVct
      09-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I just had throw this in there.....if this finish could be done on the napa mocha with matching stitching I might have done and my wife would have promptly thrown me out of the house: https://flic.kr/p/e2kVct
Leather effect on a French Fiat!
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #28
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

[QUOTE=opasha;16594717]Haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. That blue is definitely nicer, but after I saw this, I'm steering clear of it: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1002137. Looks kinda cheap in my opinion, and that takes a lot for me to say because blue is my favorite color .

OK OK i'll come quietly officer..maybe the X5 is just too damn big for that colour
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #29
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

[QUOTE=Baunton;16597198]
Quote:
Haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. That blue is definitely nicer, but after I saw this, I'm steering clear of it: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1002137. Looks kinda cheap in my opinion, and that takes a lot for me to say because blue is my favorite color .

OK OK i'll come quietly officer..maybe the X5 is just too damn big for that colour
Different strokes for different folks, lol. I'm not bashing on the blue at all. On some cars it looks phenomenal. After seeing this X5, I just can't see it looking elegant/nice on my X5: http://www.luxury4play.com/automotiv...-must-see.html

09-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #30
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

I've created a poll because I've narrowed it down to the Alubeam Chrome Matte and Satin Grey. Let me know what you guys think. I am definitely getting this done. Thank you for all the help/feedback!

Alubeam Chrome Matte: http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/07/06/a...r=1&vid=958#tp

Satin Grey (it says silver but it's closer to a grey): http://vvividvinyl.com/node/93

09-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #31
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

$1400 is really cheap for a wrap job for an X5. I wrapped my 550 and materials alone were about $800 for 3M stuff. An experienced installer would still take 20 hours to do a good job and thats working really fast. Just make sure you've seen some of the full wrap jobs he's done before so you know exactly what you are getting into. Pay attention to all the corners, seams and bumpers.

Alan
      09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
$1400 is really cheap for a wrap job for an X5. I wrapped my 550 and materials alone were about $800 for 3M stuff. An experienced installer would still take 20 hours to do a good job and thats working really fast. Just make sure you've seen some of the full wrap jobs he's done before so you know exactly what you are getting into. Pay attention to all the corners, seams and bumpers.

Alan
Yeah, agreed. Thanks for the advice, Alan. He does the best interior/exterior work in my city. He's done full restorations and wrapping/painting of cars ranging from skyline gt-r to Porsche gt3 to Toyota fr-s. I'm very detail oriented and particular about what I want/like. I wouldn't get work done by just anyone .

My SUV wrap is $1600 for regular gloss and matte. It's about $1900 for the Satin colors because they're more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

I really appreciate everyone that has answered my poll so far to help me out . I spoke with my buddy regarding the colors, and he is going to send me 3 or 4 live samples of similar shades soon to see what they will actually look like in person.
      09-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #34
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Quote:
I really appreciate everyone that has answered my poll so far to help me out . I spoke with my buddy regarding the colors, and he is going to send me 3 or 4 live samples of similar shades soon to see what they will actually look like in person.
Either way this is going to look superb. You're doing some fantastic mods Omar!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #35
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I vote cashmere.

However, I also think that waiting is a good idea. Perhaps until you get the feeling that you want a new car just because you're tired of the color. Then bam! New car (kinda).
+1. I would wait a bit then do it (if you still want to). In any event, Alubeam would be my vote.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #36
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
Either way this is going to look superb. You're doing some fantastic mods Omar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
+1. I would wait a bit then do it (if you still want to). In any event, Alubeam would be my vote.
Thanks a lot guys! I really thought about waiting, but the inner modder has completely taken over and I really want to do a beautiful wrap to protect my car and have it flow nicely with the new Carbon Fiber interior .
      09-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #37
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

You can't go wrong with either Omar, this is going to one bad ass F15 especially since you will wrap the arches and running boards and all the plastic trims.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #38
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
You can't go wrong with either Omar, this is going to one bad ass F15 especially since you will wrap the arches and running boards and all the plastic trims.
Thanks, Wei .
      09-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #39
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

For the record, I am outright jealous of your cost to do this. And I am not embarrassed to admit it.
      09-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #40
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
For the record, I am outright jealous of your cost to do this. And I am not embarrassed to admit it.
Yeah, I got really lucky to have a friend that can do such work in my hometown for such reasonable prices. That's the only reason I even bothered to do such mods. I know how difficult it is in bigger cities due to competition to find good deals. I really thank all of you for the support and feedback. It has helped a lot .
      09-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #41
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Omar, I'm sure you might've discussed this with your buddy already, but still:

1) Colors are very subjective, just go with what you like best ) I almost pulled the plug on my E64 back in the days to make it shrilly green chrome with black bonnet/roof/trunk combo ))) Thank god I sold it before I went there.
2) Make sure you pick a good film (3M/Hexis/etc.)
3) Check if you can still polish the film every other 6-12M (I know that you can do this for non-matte films which is good practice to maintain the shine)
4) You will have to be very careful with where and how you wash your car - even a good film tends to be very cranky in the wrong hands under a high-pressure wash
5) If you get stone chips - you will notice them on the film. And unlike car paint - you can't just polish them off, you'll have to rip-off the film from the damaged area and re-apply. But I'm speaking of proper rocks at speed here, not just 0.01 mm sand dust ))
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #42
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, i personally leaning toward the Satin Grey.
Good luck. Would love to see the final result.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Omar, I'm sure you might've discussed this with your buddy already, but still:

1) Colors are very subjective, just go with what you like best ) I almost pulled the plug on my E64 back in the days to make it shrilly green chrome with black bonnet/roof/trunk combo ))) Thank god I sold it before I went there.
2) Make sure you pick a good film (3M/Hexis/etc.)
3) Check if you can still polish the film every other 6-12M (I know that you can do this for non-matte films which is good practice to maintain the shine)
4) You will have to be very careful with where and how you wash your car - even a good film tends to be very cranky in the wrong hands under a high-pressure wash
5) If you get stone chips - you will notice them on the film. And unlike car paint - you can't just polish them off, you'll have to rip-off the film from the damaged area and re-apply. But I'm speaking of proper rocks at speed here, not just 0.01 mm sand dust ))
Thanks for the tips, Armen. He is using 3M film. I'll ask about the polish. The perk of getting the wrap through my friend is that he takes care of all nicks/dings/chips for really cheap if anything happens to my wrap .
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, i personally leaning toward the Satin Grey.
Good luck. Would love to see the final result.
Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards the Satin Grey, but I'll know when I see the film samples. Thanks, Ben. I'm definitely going to post everything with plenty of pictures once my full project is complete. I've added a final project to the list. Better brakes. He got me a great deal for a few companies and powdercoats ANY/EVERY color from here: http://www.prismaticpowders.com. When I get to this project and narrow down my choices, I will post another poll regarding the color of these brakes. Right now, I'm considering satin blue, satin red, and satin lime green (shinier version of Porsche 918 spyder brakes since they flow well with grey colors). Basically I will do a Super Chrome layer mixed with another color. Here's the image gallery: http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gall...ge=1&limit=120.

Shocker Yellow with Super Chrome (satin lime green): http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gall...th-Black-Jack/.

Lollypop Red with Super Chrome: http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gall...-Red-Top-Coat/.

Intense Blue with Super Chrome: http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gall...Blue-Top-Coat/

Any feedback regarding this is also appreciated .

Last edited by opasha; 09-24-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #44
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Another thing to consider is doing the front and rear bumpers in multiple pieces (wrap). Most will have to do this anyway at sharp compound curve areas but I would also suggest you do it in areas prone to being bumped and scratched. This way if you get a scratch or tear in the wrap you dont have to replace the entire bumper and just area damaged. Your installer will be able to join the pieces barely visible to the eye. I scratched the top part of my bumper while trying to load a bike into my trunk and now I have to live with it or redo my entire rear bumper! Live and learn....

Alan