BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
cnp55
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 and BMW X5 2017

Weathertech Cargo Liner -- not fitting

I just got a new-to-me 2017 X5 (no third row) and ordered a Weathertech cargo liner. It's too long and curling at the tailgate end -- super annoying because I do dog sports and have crates in the rear. I should have plenty of clearance to open the crate doors, but not with the cargo liner curled up.

Weathertech, so far, insists that I have the right product and it should fit. I have unloaded my car and checked that the cargo liner is flush with the back seats.

They ask if my rear seat is fully forward -- and I don't see anyplace to adjust that so I believe it is.

Suggestions? For what I paid for this thing I don't want to start cutting it up to make it fit ... I bought something that I expected would fit without jerryrigging.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Any pictures of how its not fitting? So when you put the split lower tail gate up, it does not fit?

Also, what crate setup are you running in the back? Any pictures?
I've had my eye on the TranzK9 crrate, but its pretty pricey.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
JMClutts
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
Weathertech Cargo Liner -- not fitting

My Weathertech liner fits perfectly with the rear seats pushed all the way back (they are adjustable). I have an 18 with a 3rd row so it may be a little different. The liner does have a slight lip on it though, it sticks up about 1/2 on the tailgate side and probably 1" where it sits against the back seat. Mine measures 39.5" from front to back. Sounds like your liner may have been cut wrong, I don't think it should curl up like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
cnp55
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 and BMW X5 2017

This photo shows the tailgate up and the cargo liner curling.

Basically the cargo liner seems too long. I have it flush with the rear seats, and it extends beyond the end of the cargo area and curls up when I put up the tailgate.

Regarding my crates ... I did have an X3 with exactly 30 inches of cargo floor. I bought a Trixie (not a big time name brand here!) that was 30 inches on the floor and 24 inches on the top -- so the front and back slanted to make more room. This was for a big rangey 16.5 inch 28 lb Sheltie who was very comfortable in it with the 30 inch crate floor. Next to that I have a 24 in crate for a smaller Sheltie, although the big guy can fit in that if needed. This week, it's a wire crate, but normally it's a Marchioro Clipper 3. With the X5, I can store my chair and some other equipment behind the crate.

My current competition dog is a 15 lb 14 inch Sheltie, but I have two other larger Shelties so I need at least two, preferably three crates. Right now, crate 3 is in the back seat when needed -- or that dog goes in a harness with seatbelt.

You can see the Trixie on Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Trixie-Produc...0054JE8ZA?th=1 I will say it was not fun to assemble. I bought it for myself when I owned a brick and mortar pet store but determined that it could not be sold in my store due to assembly issues. Most customers would not be capable of building the crate and it was too involved/too expensive to have employees building it for customers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

What kind of X5 do you have? Only reason I ask is because if you have the xdrive40e, the slightly raised floor in the back requires a slightly shorter cargo liner (which no company makes).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I have the Maxpider one and absolutely love it. I haul my horse/dog back there all the time with his bear claws and wet boots etc and it holds up like a tank - looks much better to IMO. Fits like a glove and I can lift up the spare cover with it still in and close it and it goes right back into place.

The grippers on the back keep it from sliding and stays exactly where you put it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      12-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
speedracerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Weathertech is garbage. I purchased one for my e70 and it was regrettable. The material is thin and poorly fitting. The fact that it arrives in a box rolled up doesn't help. Directions say to let it warm up and uncurl, but that doesn't help much at all. If I were to go with all-season mats again, I would take the route of oem.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Can the OP provide more details so that the forum can offer better suggestions? Not all X5s are optioned the same...there can be slight differences depending on model or option pkgs.

What model do you have and do you have the regular 2nd row seats (that don’t move)...or do you have the rear comfort seats (that can move forward/aft approx 3” and the rear seat backs can recline a few degrees). They look like the 2nd row seats for X5s that have 3rd row seating...except the 2nd row seats don’t spring upward & forward (which allows access to the 3rd row)...the levers just move the whole seat forward/aft...or the rear seat back can be position in six different stages.

There’s a lever on the front lower side of the seat (in the footwell) that can move the seat fore/aft...and a lever at the top of the upper seat back that does the same. Then there’s another lever at the top that lowers/raises or adjusts/repositions the upper seat back as well as a lever lower down where the upper and lower seat backs meet that can do the same. Which means there’s a total of 4 levers that allows readjustment/repositioning of the rear seats...2 down low & 2 up high.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-22-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

That's interesting cause I have a weather tech cargo mat and mine fits like a glove not sure if it makes a difference but I cut mine where the cut outs are for the metal hooks in the floor can come through