BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #155
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG123 View Post
Are there any differences in build spec (around wheels and hub) to the american spec and UK cars ?.

My car as now done 12700 Miles and no issues with the wheel bearing noise.

Could it be temperature related ??

Over here in Manchester Uk outside temp hardly ever gets over "25 degrees C

Nice usual summer day here Today, raining and temperature 18 Degrees C.
John -- thanks for this. This really spurred me to start thinking more analytically. The more data we gather and analyze, the better chance we have of identifying possible solutions. I had not considered temperature before as a factor (and judging by his current struggles with the NFL, neither had Tom Brady).

So, temperature could certainly be one. I picked my car up in December and the issues started to surface in mid-spring as the temperatures started to rise. Could heat cause the parts to expand to create the clicking?

Counter to that, I find that the clicking is more pronounced immediately after startup. It does not seem to be as loud or noticeable when I am turning the car off.

Finally, I have started alternating my steering response levels (Servotronic- pg. 138 ) and while it is a limited sample, I HAVE noticed a reduction in the clicking sound. My car defaults to Comfort on startup but I have been experimenting with placing it in Sport immediately. I cannot hear the definite clicks that were immediately present with the Comfort setting.

Just a question to all (people who hear and do not hear the clicking), what steering response do you choose normally?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #156
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

No clicks. 4800 miles. Comfort 85% of the time
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #157
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

To answer your question, Luca, I get light clicking occasionally, I drive almost solely in sport or sport+ for everything, including steering.

I'm about to park my X5 M on the nearest boat launch, put it in neutral, and push it into Cape Cod Bay. You hear that BMW, if you're reading this, you'd better get this freaking car fixed, COMPLETELY, or you're about to have a spectacularly bad PR nightmare on your hands!

Just a bit over a year of ownership, and I know my Service Advisor so well now she and her husband have been to my house for dinner, and I'm buying her baby shower gifts. I'm tired of wasting my time dealing with all the repairs and trips to the service department. It goes in AGAIN this Wednesday for more irritating issues!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #158
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
To answer your question, Luca, I get light clicking occasionally, I drive almost solely in sport or sport+ for everything, including steering.

I'm about to park my X5 M on the nearest boat launch, put it in neutral, and push it into Cape Cod Bay. You hear that BMW, if you're reading this, you'd better get this freaking car fixed, COMPLETELY, or you're about to have a spectacularly bad PR nightmare on your hands!

Just a bit over a year of ownership, and I know my Service Advisor so well now she and her husband have been to my house for dinner, and I'm buying her baby shower gifts. I'm tired of wasting my time dealing with all the repairs and trips to the service department. It goes in AGAIN this Wednesday for more irritating issues!
UrbanExtant -- breathe! Deep breath.

Step away from the dock. We will figure this out.

The amount of clicking has diminished for me moving to Sport and Sport+. That's curious. It was very noticeable for me in Comfort.

Is there any rationale/justification for why this might reduce the clicking?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #159
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
The amount of clicking has diminished for me moving to Sport and Sport+. That's curious. It was very noticeable for me in Comfort.

Is there any rationale/justification for why this might reduce the clicking?
Probably because the suspension geometry changes slightly? IDK. BMW is doing a garbage job of handling this issue. Has anyone seen resolution with 1 or 2 fixes? I've had 1 and still have the problem. Debating whether to go back to get more work done or just wait til a wheel falls off...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #160
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

My answer to BMW right now, is that next week, when I'm back from vacation, I'm going to start test driving other cars, and will most likely dump my X5 M.

There's been a lot of differing opinions on it, and it's not quite as fast as the X5 M, but the top contender right now is the AMG GLE 63s Coupe.

We went and looked at the Tesla Model X yesterday, but without foldable second row seats, it makes it a poor excuse of an "SUV." We have three dogs, that travel in crates with us on vacations, so a useful SUV is a must.

We are debating looking at the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S again, and maybe the Porsche Macan Turbo, but my husband hates both, he says the fronts look like some sort of distorted platypus duck bill that he just can't get past. Funny how people relate cars to animals oftentimes!

It is sad this has come to this with me and BMW, I've been a huge fan of theirs for decades now, and have helped them sell hundreds of cars to friends, etc., but the way they have handled the X5 M, our i3 BEV, and our other BMWs the past year is really deplorable.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #161
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I would be surprised is Tesla remains in business.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #162
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I would be surprised is Tesla remains in business.
I looked at Tesla to humor my husband. He is enamored with the electric vehicles. Surprisingly, last night he said, "I think you should get the Mercedes when you want to...."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #163
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

I'm already car shopping. Unloading my X5M.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #164
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotichamster View Post
I'm already car shopping. Unloading my X5M.
I cannot fault you. I'm in the same boat. Let us know what you get (or what you're considering).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #165
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

Leaning towards a Macan GTS or Turbo.....I really regret now passing on one.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #166
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

11,000km, no clicks. Gulf spec car and summer temps reaching 50C
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #167
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Maybe a bad batch of parts
Perhaps look at the vin numbers of all members that are having this issue.
This should then give us build dates ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #168
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Fingers crossed! Just picked mine back up. Hope fixed....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #169
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

i have the brake squeal, but no clicks yet. so far, I don't give a shit. great stopping power!

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #170
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
the top contender right now is the AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Sure you want to do that now? Might want to wait since the newly designed GLE / Coupe are on the horizon. The interior on the current model is really, really dated.

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #171
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billaeon View Post
Sure you want to do that now? Might want to wait since the newly designed GLE / Coupe are on the horizon. The interior on the current model is really, really dated.
Despite some intense feelings right now, I do still remember how much fun the X5 M is to drive when there's nothing wrong with it. I keep holding out hope BMW will pull it together, fix the issues with my X5 M, and I'll feel better about keeping it for a couple more years.

Being realistic, though, I am exploring other options, so I can be prepared, should things not improve. I know the interior of the current GLE Coupe is an older style, but I do like it, and not a ton less than Mercede's newer interior styles. If they were to start offering a head up display in the redesign, that would definitely make me wait. I would miss the head up display technology in the BMW if my replacement car lacked it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #172
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Despite some intense feelings right now, I do still remember how much fun the X5 M is to drive when there's nothing wrong with it. I keep holding out hope BMW will pull it together, fix the issues with my X5 M, and I'll feel better about keeping it for a couple more years.

Being realistic, though, I am exploring other options, so I can be prepared, should things not improve. I know the interior of the current GLE Coupe is an older style, but I do like it, and not a ton less than Mercede's newer interior styles. If they were to start offering a head up display in the redesign, that would definitely make me wait. I would miss the head up display technology in the BMW if my replacement car lacked it.
Hey, so what exactly is this clicking sound you're hearing? Is it only upon turns? sharp turns? any light/hard left/right turns? Or is it also when driving straight? I heard something, but it doesn't sound like clicking, it sounds more like metal balls hitting each other, like those metal stress balls you roll in your hand (if you remember those). I wonder if this is truly dangerous? It is annoying of course no doubt about it. But is it actually dangerous, at any speeds? Terrible situation though. Sorry guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #173
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Hey, so what exactly is this clicking sound you're hearing? Is it only upon turns? sharp turns? any light/hard left/right turns? Or is it also when driving straight? I heard something, but it doesn't sound like clicking, it sounds more like metal balls hitting each other, like those metal stress balls you roll in your hand (if you remember those). I wonder if this is truly dangerous? It is annoying of course no doubt about it. But is it actually dangerous, at any speeds? Terrible situation though. Sorry guys!
That is the noise, exactly. It does it most on hard slow to moderate turns, and after spirited driving on twisty roads, it will do it in my car when driving straight.

Many years ago, on a trip back home to Lake George with my sister, just north of Manhattan, my car at that time started to have this noise happen. On the highway, going about 50 mph in heavy traffic, all of a sudden, the noise grew louder, and then the bearings locked-up, and the car came to a screeching halt, unmovable, in the highway blocking traffic. Having had this happen, and the noise in the X5 M being so eerily similar to that experience, it is concerning to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #174
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
That is the noise, exactly. It does it most on hard slow to moderate turns, and after spirited driving on twisty roads, it will do it in my car when driving straight.

Many years ago, on a trip back home to Lake George with my sister, just north of Manhattan, my car at that time started to have this noise happen. On the highway, going about 50 mph in heavy traffic, all of a sudden, the noise grew louder, and then the bearings locked-up, and the car came to a screeching halt, unmovable, in the highway blocking traffic. Having had this happen, and the noise in the X5 M being so eerily similar to that experience, it is concerning to me.
whoa! dude, that sounds very dangerous. It must have been a terrifying moment. BMW, this is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #175
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Bad wheel bearing info

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...l-bearing-gone

The wheel bearing of your vehicle works with the tire, hub, and wheel to make a smooth ride while you are driving down the road. If a wheel bearing goes bad, more friction will be placed on the wheel, and the wheel will start to wobble. There are a few signs to watch out for when your wheel bearing starts to go bad or is missing.

Here are some of the major symptoms and safety concerns of driving with a missing or bad wheel bearing:

The most common symptom with a bad wheel bearing is a loud noise coming from the tire or wheel of the vehicle. It will sound like metal grinding on metal and will get louder as the vehicle goes faster. If you hear noises coming from the wheel, contact a mechanic right away.

f the wheel bearing is gone, it is not recommended you drive the vehicle as the tire can fall off. The wheel bearing is an essential part to keep the wheel on your car, so without it, the tire has nothing to hold it on. This is a dangerous situation to be in, especially if you are driving down the highway, as the tire can cause an obstruction and you can lose control of your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #176
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

I can tell you this! God isn't that good to me! If my wheels locked up and caused me to crash rest assured I'd be one happy rich mofo!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...l-bearing-gone

The wheel bearing of your vehicle works with the tire, hub, and wheel to make a smooth ride while you are driving down the road. If a wheel bearing goes bad, more friction will be placed on the wheel, and the wheel will start to wobble. There are a few signs to watch out for when your wheel bearing starts to go bad or is missing.

Here are some of the major symptoms and safety concerns of driving with a missing or bad wheel bearing:

The most common symptom with a bad wheel bearing is a loud noise coming from the tire or wheel of the vehicle. It will sound like metal grinding on metal and will get louder as the vehicle goes faster. If you hear noises coming from the wheel, contact a mechanic right away.

f the wheel bearing is gone, it is not recommended you drive the vehicle as the tire can fall off. The wheel bearing is an essential part to keep the wheel on your car, so without it, the tire has nothing to hold it on. This is a dangerous situation to be in, especially if you are driving down the highway, as the tire can cause an obstruction and you can lose control of your car.
Appreciate 0