BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #177
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 Fe

Hey guys

Have the wheel clicking issue after only about 700 miles and have an appointment this morning. I also noticed I have brake squeal when I turn left... weird. I have a video if you guys are interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #178
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ut3r View Post
Hey guys

Have the wheel clicking issue after only about 700 miles and have an appointment this morning. I also noticed I have brake squeal when I turn left... weird. I have a video if you guys are interested.
You'll never get rid of the brake squeal...all high performance cars w/ these high performance pads will squeal like piggies. I have it on my Porsche also. Get used to it. As far as the clicking, from what I've seen/heard, that will also never go away as BMWNA as no idea how to fix it.....good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #179
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

So, two days later and truck came back with no improvement...

Wheel clicking is still very audible.

I think they didn't even try to apply any of the SIBs from BMW that I referenced for them ...

FYI the squealing I was concerned about is not the one during braking, it's the one when cornering.
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #180
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
I cannot fault you. I'm in the same boat. Let us know what you get (or what you're considering).
Got out of the X5M, got a E63 AMG-S, couldn't be happier. Mercedes build quality is much better. Plus E63 is faster!

X5M is wonderful and I didn't have any complaints, but the build quality needs to be improved dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #181
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Wagon?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #182
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep

E63S wagon always been on my radar......hell of car
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #183
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

The ultimate sleeper
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #184
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
I cannot fault you. I'm in the same boat. Let us know what you get (or what you're considering).
Got out of the X5M, got a E63 AMG-S, couldn't be happier. Mercedes build quality is much better. Plus E63 is faster!

X5M is wonderful and I didn't have any complaints, but the build quality needs to be improved dramatically.
BMW QC has def gone to shit recently...but for the same price, MB has improved.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #185
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

No lemon law in Canada. I'm stuck with it for 4 years.

I have no other complaints than the wheels clicking like I have a bicycle.

E63s is the old model and I prefer the upcoming model. I would get the sedan if I did get one. My dream car is a C63s 4matic (which doesn't exist of course...) or an m3/m5 xdrive.
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #186
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post

I see what you did there.

I am slowly moving to your camp. Hope you're enjoying the AMG.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #187
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #188
jlawphoto
Rep
Drives: X6M

Looks like we've got some real stats here....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #189
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ut3r View Post
E63s is the old model and I prefer the upcoming model
*this* - the interior on the current E-class (AMG sedan and wagon) is too dated. Tech, aesthetics - does not feel like a 100k+ car inside. Coming from Audi (top in-class interiors) and now in my first BMW, the current E AMG (W212) didn't do it for me. It was a contender when I was cross-shopping vehicles, but fell flat in both looks (including being dated) and feedback to the driver. Personally I thought the X5 drove much better (which blew my mind being an SAV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
Mercedes build quality is much better
Dude - hope you're more fortunate than everyone I've known / know who had / have the "privilege" of owning an AMG vehicle. Prevailing quote from these folks (car guys with lots of experience across German brands and aftermarket parts) is: "never own an AMG out of warranty". Pretty much par for the course for *most* high performance vehicles across the major 3 German brands (RS, AMG, M). YMMV - and I hope it does.

BTW - bummed you got rid of the red X5 - that thing was seriously beautiful.

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #190
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billaeon View Post
Add one more to the list - taking car in next Wed (05/25) to address the same issue. Have had the noise since 1200 service, when the service tech I took for a ride proceeded to tell me the issue is related to the brakes and "normal". To be fair, the noise was barely audible then and happened very infrequently. Coming up on 6k miles now and it's a regular occurrence - both wheels - during medium to tight turns to either side.
Feel like this thread went sideways for a bit with people jumping on the "leaving BMW due to quality issues" bandwagon. Being as this thread's intent is the "wheel bearing issue" - posting my experience with the issue and subsequent fix.

As stated in above post, issue started early (~1200 miles). Took the car in to local dealership (Bellevue BMW, WA). Aside: nothing but amazing service: offered loaner up-front (no hassle), would not release car until fix was correct (more on that below), worked around PITA customer (me) request to return car regardless of last point (again, more on that below) - all around a great experience despite the issue being addressed.

Dropped car off on 05/25 (~6.3k miles on odo). Dealer attempted first-fix: SIB 34 05 15 - Install Friction Washer (same as this thread). Fix did not address issue - dealer did not release car. Basically, they attempted this fix *first*, as-per BMWNA recommendations, and immediately determined fix did not address issue. At this point SA called me to communicate with me status and that they were ordering nec. parts to replace the wheel hubs (left and right) due to "faulty wheel bearings". Turn around for fix: 24 additional hours (parts were coming in from dealership out-of-state, but close).

Jumping the shark slightly here, so skip ahead to next paragraph for final fix. At this point, I needed to leave town on a flight for business and didn't want to deal with getting a cab / uber last minute to SeaTac. Also didn't want to take my dealership's rental to the airport and leave it for 7-days while out-of-town. Dealer released car back to me (luckily it was put back together and off the rack from the initial fix attempt) and scheduled an appointment for me to come back one-week later. Again, no hassle and really, really accommodating. I digress.

Brought car back in on 06/02 (~6.4k miles on odo). Again, loaner provided - no hassle. Parts were ready and fix was completed within the day. They replaced the left wheel hub first, drove it, determined right was also going [had ordered both just in case, even though left was the prominent "squeaky wheel"]. Proceeded to replace right wheel hub, drove it, determined fix addressed issue with sound no longer being prevalent.

Fast-forward to today (07/17) - at ~7.5k miles on the odo: sound has not returned. Being window-down weather, I've listened intently while driving the 3-levels of my parking garage at work every day to determine if sound is / has returned (radio off, taking turns tight - conditions where the sound was obviously noticeable prior to fix).

My take: this is a known issue with BMWNA. They are informing the service departments to attempt SIB 34 05 15 first. From there, I believe it's up to the due diligence of a particular dealership to ensure the fix put in place is proper and addresses the actual issue. We (owners) should not have to enforce the proper fix to be put in place if the Install Friction Washer fix does not address the issue. If anyone here is running in to this issue, this strikes me as a gap in dealership quality control (or honesty) and should be taken up with BMWNA to enforce the proper fix be performed.

Happy motoring, everyone.

Here's a pic of the work order from the final visit - they reference the first attempt at the fix here as well:

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White

Last edited by Billaeon; 07-20-2016 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
BMWOO742.50
      07-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #191
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billaeon View Post
Feel like this thread went sideways for a bit with people jumping on the "leaving BMW due to quality issues" bandwagon. Being as this thread's intent is the "wheel bearing issue" - posting my experience with the issue and subsequent fix.

As stated in above post, issue started early (~1200 miles). Took the car in to local dealership (Bellevue BMW, WA). Aside: nothing but amazing service: offered loaner up-front (no hassle), would not release car until fix was correct (more on that below), worked around PITA customer (me) request to return car regardless of last point (again, more on that below) - all around a great experience despite the issue being addressed.

Dropped car off on 05/25 (~6.3k miles on odo). Dealer attempted first-fix: SIB 34 05 15 - Install Friction Washer (same as this thread). Fix did not address issue - dealer did not release car. Basically, they attempted this fix *first*, as-per BMWNA recommendations, and immediately determined fix did not address issue. At this point SA called me to communicate with me status and that they were ordering nec. parts to replace the wheel hubs (left and right) due to "faulty wheel bearings". Turn around for fix: 24 additional hours (parts were coming in from dealership out-of-state, but close).

Jumping the shark slightly here, so skip ahead to next paragraph for final fix. At this point, I needed to leave town on a flight for business and didn't want to deal with getting a cab / uber last minute to SeaTac. Also didn't want to take my dealership's rental to the airport and leave it for 7-days while out-of-town. Dealer released car back to me (luckily it was put back together and off the rack from the initial fix attempt) and scheduled an appointment for me to come back one-week later. Again, no hassle and really, really accommodating. I digress.

Brought car back in on 06/02 (~6.4k miles on odo). Again, loaner provided - no hassle. Parts were ready and fix was completed within the day. They replaced the left wheel hub first, drove it, determined right was also going [had ordered both just in case, even though left was the prominent "squeaky wheel"]. Proceeded to replace right wheel hub, drove it, determined fix addressed issue with sound no longer being prevalent.

Fast-forward to today (07/17) - at ~7.5k miles on the odo: sound has not returned. Being window-down weather, I've listened intently while driving the 3-levels of my parking garage at work every day to determine if sound is / has returned (radio off, taking turns tight - conditions where the sound was obviously noticeable prior to fix).

My take: this is a known issue with BMWNA. They are informing the service departments to attempt SIB 34 05 15 first. From there, I believe it's up to the due diligence of a particular dealership to ensure the fix put in place is proper and addresses the actual issue. We (owners) should not have to enforce the proper fix to be put in place if the Install Friction Washer fix does not address the issue. If anyone here is running in to this issue, this strikes me as a gap in dealership quality control (or honesty) and should be taken up with BMWNA to enforce the proper fix be performed.

Happy motoring, everyone.

Here's a pic of the work order from the final visit - they reference the first attempt at the fix here as well:
[img]https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8848/2...ed56c298_c.jpg[/img]
Thanks, man. I need to bring mine in for the bearing replacement. They put in the spacer, and the sound returned within a couple of hundred miles. I'm hoping I can insist they replace both front bearings (I REALLY don't want them to do L, then have to come back for R, or whatever), and that will fully resolve this issue. It sounds so damn lame...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #192
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Well I took our issues to BMW na yesterday via the customer service portal. I expressed the issues and the lack of a fix. I linked this as well as other threads showing our concerns. Who knows maybe they'll just ignore my email, but hopefully they won't.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #193
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

I met with people at my dealership this afternoon to discuss progress on my X5 M. It's been in being worked on since last Wednesday. They finally seem to have gotten the B&O system back to working order, after 6 speaker replacements, and an internal microphone replacement. The dealership knows what they're doing, and I'm pleased with their work, and approach to problem solving. I'm letdown that the B&O system, at its current price point, seems to have parts that fail this easily.

We all discussed the wheel bearing issue at length. The dealership ordered all new bearings today, and expects them to arrive Thursday or Friday. With any luck, I'll have the car back by the weekend. They have the same concern I, and others here do about this not fixing the issue permanently, but this is the best they can currently do, as BMWNA isn't giving them much to go on as to what is the permanent long term fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:07 AM   #194
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I met with people at my dealership this afternoon to discuss progress on my X5 M. It's been in being worked on since last Wednesday. They finally seem to have gotten the B&O system back to working order, after 6 speaker replacements, and an internal microphone replacement. The dealership knows what they're doing, and I'm pleased with their work, and approach to problem solving. I'm letdown that the B&O system, at its current price point, seems to have parts that fail this easily.

We all discussed the wheel bearing issue at length. The dealership ordered all new bearings today, and expects them to arrive Thursday or Friday. With any luck, I'll have the car back by the weekend. They have the same concern I, and others here do about this not fixing the issue permanently, but this is the best they can currently do, as BMWNA isn't giving them much to go on as to what is the permanent long term fix.
thanks for the update, i do have to report i have the same wheel bearing issue as well as squeaky brakes. 1,700 miles.

so far it is not bothering me, but ill probably take it to the dealer for a look in the next month or so.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #195
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

At my dealer today to get an oil top up (9000km).

As the friction spacers haven't fixed the issue, I'm now waiting on a "puma" case which is the process I'm told for having the bearings replaced. I mentioned that I believe is stil not considered a permanent fix and they acknowledged that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #196
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Hey I'm curious. I had the friction spacers installed after having bearings replaced on a different visit. Today I tried to make it make the ticking sound in regular driving mode, didn't happen, but when I went into sport plus, I could hear it ever so slightly. So under regular soft suspension nothing but when it's firmed up...it ticks. Anyone else notice that?

My theory all along has been the front bearing are raceless bearings. And under lateral torque the balls slap into each other. If there was a race I. There that wouldn't happen. I'm not an engineer but maybe bearings taking that kind of speed weight and lateral stress cannot have races in them?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #197
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep

Car dropped back at dealer yesterday for the 2nd time. Will update as I find out. I've already had the spacers installed several weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #198
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Got my car back this afternoon. All seems good so far after the bearing replacement. Only time, and mileage will tell if it stays fixed.
Appreciate 0