BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

I currently own a '15 X5M for about 2 months and 2600 miles and am picking up a 2016 Cayenne GTS in a few weeks to replace my 2015 Mercedes S550. Will leave more detailed review once i get the car. I did test drive the GTS and my initial impressions

2015 X5M
Love the Twin Turbo V8
Superior infotainment (heads-up display, Nav System, Surround View, Back Up Camera
MY only complaint is steering feel. Feels somewhat numb and not as precise as the GTS.
Some Build quality issues on mine (Paint defects, Squeaking Breaks, Loose Trim Piece)
Some Cost cutting shown in X5M (Single Piston rear calipers on a $100K+ Car, Hard Plastic in the rear hatch area.

Overall I would prefer the X5M if it was not for the Numb steering feel. I find it's best in comfort than sport/sport plus

2016 Cayenne GTS
Exhaust sounds good for a TT V6
Fast enough for the street (0-60 in about 4.8 seconds)
Steering Feel much Better than X5M
Superior Build quality. (Perfect Paint quality, No loose trim,
Love the hydraulic steering (Only reason other than Build quality to choose over X5M)
4 Piston Rear Brake Calipers on the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
You, sir, have an awesome stable of cars!!!
      05-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #25
2-cb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Garage List
Nice stable for sure. Out of curiosity, why two SUVs? Why not a convertible/roadster or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14M5 View Post
I currently own a '15 X5M for about 2 months and 2600 miles and am picking up a 2016 Cayenne GTS in a few weeks to replace my 2015 Mercedes S550. Will leave more detailed review once i get the car. I did test drive the GTS and my initial impressions

2015 X5M
Love the Twin Turbo V8
Superior infotainment (heads-up display, Nav System, Surround View, Back Up Camera
MY only complaint is steering feel. Feels somewhat numb and not as precise as the GTS.
Some Build quality issues on mine (Paint defects, Squeaking Breaks, Loose Trim Piece)
Some Cost cutting shown in X5M (Single Piston rear calipers on a $100K+ Car, Hard Plastic in the rear hatch area.

Overall I would prefer the X5M if it was not for the Numb steering feel. I find it's best in comfort than sport/sport plus

2016 Cayenne GTS
Exhaust sounds good for a TT V6
Fast enough for the street (0-60 in about 4.8 seconds)
Steering Feel much Better than X5M
Superior Build quality. (Perfect Paint quality, No loose trim,
Love the hydraulic steering (Only reason other than Build quality to choose over X5M)
4 Piston Rear Brake Calipers on the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #26
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-cb View Post
Nice stable for sure. Out of curiosity, why two SUVs? Why not a convertible/roadster or something?
Don't really have any use for a convertible.... Already have a 991 Turbo S coupe. It will see less than 1000/miles per year. Have more use with the SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #27
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Hey 14M5, looking forward to more thoughts on your new Cayenne GTS. Did they fix the brake feel with new GTS? I felt the V8 GTS had terrible brake feel. You had really step into the brakes to feel them bite. Also, is the ride improved? The V8 GTS had a harsh ride which prevented me from purchasing one back then.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
Hey 14M5, looking forward to more thoughts on your new Cayenne GTS. Did they fix the brake feel with new GTS? I felt the V8 GTS had terrible brake feel. You had really step into the brakes to feel them bite. Also, is the ride improved? The V8 GTS had a harsh ride which prevented me from purchasing one back then.
Haven't picked the GTS up yet. Will post when i get the car in the next few days. From my 5 mile test drive brake feel was good and ride has significantly improved from the 2014 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #29
cristo007
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 Chevy Aveo LS

My 2 cents

Just sharing my experience: I am BMW fans, I have 2011 M3 sedan (manual) and love BMW products. I test drove the new X5M and no doubt, it is a very nice and comfortable car. Really good acceleration in straight lines, nice in turns and mountain hills, lots of cargo space in the trunk and really good brake (standard brake). Love the new navigation - very fast response! I like the comfort seat too.

If you have kids, love outdoor and require lots of space, I would say for the money X5M is better than any Cayenne. I like the trunk of X5M where the bottom part can be opened separately and can be used as a ‘chair’ when it is parked on the mountain X5M feels spacious inside and it feels ‘big’ - but that is exactly how they made for. A great family SUV yet has ‘muscle’ to be pushed hard. The interior of 2015 X5M is very nice, the details are awesome and just like others said, they have new electronic and new engine - which is an advantage.

However, I picked Cayenne Turbo, because once you sit inside Cayenne, you do not feel you are sitting inside an SUV, it feels you are inside a sport car. It feels snug yet plenty of room to move. That is how Porsche made their car...base on sport then luxury. Yes, the navigation in Cayenne is not as nice as X5M, no heads-up display and for some people the dashboard in Cayenne looks like a ‘commercial plane’ - agree, lots of button - but if you look at these button, they are straight to the point and they are really easy to use and remember. On top of this, you can adjust the height of the vehicle in Cayenne and can be driven either as ALL- or FOUR-wheel drive. I like the ‘double insulated’ glass in cayenne for noise and heat reduction. And the 18-power seat has very thick support on legs and back (side and lumbar support). X5M has more comfortable seat and Cayenne's feels more ‘sportive’.

Cayenne has more ‘feeling’ on the steering wheel compare to X5M and the 4-pistons brake on Cayenne, IMO feels better than X5M in both straight line or winding road. C63 AMG has the best sound, followed by X5M then Cayenne on cold start, but when the engine is warm I find Cayenne’s sound deeper compare to its rival. I love the new lights on Cayenne - it spread more lights to wider area when the car approaches intersection based on GPS this is really cool feature! It gives you more visibility if you drive on the road where no or less street lights.

So when I decided to go with 2016 Cayenne Turbo S, it is based on comfort, car-feeling, safety and easy to use dashboard. Both car do well in track - straight lines X5M will beat GTS even Cayenne Turbo but for comfort, Cayenne definitely far above X5M. But if you can wait, new Cayenne is coming in 2017 as 2018 model. Or if you have luxury, you always can buy 2015 X5M use it for 3-4 years then trade-in when the new Cayenne is out - and if you do, please let us know what you think about the X5M That would be a great user review!

Last edited by cristo007; 08-06-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0