BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
rotweiler
Private
Rep
Drives: audi a6

Bodyroll on x5

Is there a lot of bodyroll on msport models.
i am thinking of getting the m sport package cause you get adaptive air suspension. does that help in any way???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotweiler View Post
i am thinking of getting the m sport package cause you get adaptive air suspension. does that help in any way???
I've had a M50d on a trial last October. It had no handling problems and no body roll that i could notice. The UK press comment about the steering being lifeless but i think its a very precise weapon!

The handling of the M models is certainly something not to worry about.

Make sure you get comfort seats, small ££££ big gains in seat quality and range of adjustment
      02-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Yes, the M Sport standard suspension has more body roll than the Adaptive suspension. The body roll is by no means like other big cars and it's quite agreeable even for twisty roads. However, it does not compare the to adaptive suspension that keeps the car somewhat level in most conditions - and dips in roads are handled completely different that spring based models. I chose not to get the suspension because of initial cost, and because I bought the car for the long term and maintenance on the suspension when out of warranty is quite expensive. I have the suspension on my Merc SL550 and its quite impressive. But if you have a problem outside warranty, it's easily $1000 per visit. For example, one shock absorber is $1700.

But you get a very nice ride. And don't get the package that just provides the rear suspension for the third row seating.
      02-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
I've had a M50d on a trial last October. It had no handling problems and no body roll that i could notice. The UK press comment about the steering being lifeless but i think its a very precise weapon!

Make sure you get comfort seats, small ££££ big gains in seat quality and range of adjustment
Well put.
      02-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Personally I think body roll is somewhat subjective and depends on the person. I think the car handles very well for its size, especially compared to others the same size. I had a '14 grand cherokee that felt like it was going to flip over everytime I made a turn. But obviously not as planted as my wife's S4. For me the roll in the car is very bearable. much better than most.
      02-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
The M Sport comes with the STANDARD suspension in the USA unless add the optional Adaptive M suspension for $900. It is a good upgrade to the standard suspension without all the extra cost of the DHP package. Of course you do not get the same level of performance either.

Last edited by wjbender; 02-09-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Go for the adaptive.

My build has standard M sport suspension because I'll be lowering it anyways so there was no point for me to put more money into something that would've been thrown away within a year.

Yes it's no M3 in the corners but it's not a Q7 either
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

As most have stated very nicely with great info and valid points on keeping stock vs upgrading, I would upgrade to the $900 M Adaptive Suspension. If you are an "aware" driver that needs your car to handle better/more flat, you will notice the roll. I noticed immediately coming from a strong suspension '04 Infiniti FX35. This will also save you in bad weather conditions. When your car handles better, you have more control (helpful in snowy conditions if you are a good driver). That's why I'm upgrading to a custom air suspension.
      02-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkakonn View Post
Personally I think body roll is somewhat subjective and depends on the person. I think the car handles very well for its size, especially compared to others the same size. I had a '14 grand cherokee that felt like it was going to flip over everytime I made a turn. But obviously not as planted as my wife's S4. For me the roll in the car is very bearable. much better than most.
^This. The standard suspension is much better than most SUV's, probably better than typical sedans (i.e. not sport sedans). But it is still a heavy vehicle with added ground clearance. I skipped DHP this time and regret it. To me, if you're even asking about body roll, get the upgraded suspension.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post

In my opinion, I am finding the steering a bit easy and vague. On the autobhan yesterday at 120-130mph in Sport Plus and the steering was not that direct, felt 'lifeless'. I will get used to it, but as the car was keen to go a lot faster I will remain cautious until I get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
In my opinion, I am finding the steering a bit easy and vague. On the autobhan yesterday at 120-130mph in Sport Plus and the steering was not that direct, felt 'lifeless'. I will get used to it, but as the car was keen to go a lot faster I will remain cautious until I get used to it.
Fair comment :-) I just haven't driven at that speed lately after getting zapped by the police last year

I think the UK press have realised that BMW make such good cars with the worlds best engines, they're left looking for niggles rather than major criticism. The comments about the steering wheel are very consistent across different reviews and so the Munich geeks should sort it out. My F10 certainly suffered from the problem to the extent when the F10 LCI was launched they sharpened up the steering a lot more!

Hope your machine is good mate:-) Mine arrived in the UK sometime last wk
      02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
rotweiler
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone for your reply
I am comming from a6 quattro, there is a lot bodyroll in that car especially in the back.
If i take m sport will that be enough, or without msport and take the air suspension.
I live where there is a lot curves, i like it when i drive that i feel the road. i will be taking active steering because when i test drove the x5 it was uincredible.
The x5 when i test drove that for me the best car, actually the dream car...
Mercedes is ok but too much luxury... i dont like
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your reply
I am comming from a6 quattro, there is a lot bodyroll in that car especially in the back.
If i take m sport will that be enough, or without msport and take the air suspension.
I live where there is a lot curves, i like it when i drive that i feel the road. i will be taking active steering because when i test drove the x5 it was uincredible.
The x5 when i test drove that for me the best car, actually the dream car...
Mercedes is ok but too much luxury... i dont like
I would upgrade to M Adaptive Suspension (based on your comments/needs) and throw out Active Steering if you don't need Mercedes turning radius and want consistent control on your vehicle without feeling like you're drifting in lanes with the slightest nudge. You don't want a computer working on things your hands should be in charge of. That's my honest opinion.
      02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I don't have DHP in my current X6 (E71). I had it in my prior three (formerly "Adaptive Drive"), and absolutely regret it. It's the difference between total confidence in corners, and uncertainty of "how will this play out...."

I'd pick that over almost any other upgrade, except comfort seats....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
rotweiler
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
As most have stated very nicely with great info and valid points on keeping stock vs upgrading, I would upgrade to the $900 M Adaptive Suspension. If you are an "aware" driver that needs your car to handle better/more flat, you will notice the roll. I noticed immediately coming from a strong suspension '04 Infiniti FX35. This will also save you in bad weather conditions. When your car handles better, you have more control (helpful in snowy conditions if you are a good driver). That's why I'm upgrading to a custom air suspension.
What do you mean custom air suspension
Is this the one that comes in msport package
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #16
rotweiler
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would upgrade to M Adaptive Suspension (based on your comments/needs) and throw out Active Steering if you don't need Mercedes turning radius and want consistent control on your vehicle without feeling like you're drifting in lanes with the slightest nudge. You don't want a computer working on things your hands should be in charge of. That's my honest opinion.
When i test drove it the active steering was ok especially in the City...
but unfortanetly i didnt test drove it in high speeds...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean custom air suspension
Is this the one that comes in msport package
M Sport package comes with stock suspension unless you spend $900 extra to upgrade to the M adaptive. Nothing comes close to DHP (however, my custom suspension might). This best explains it:

UAS took my OEM strut and custom built a full suspension for our F15 with Accuair Air leveling system. I had stock suspension, and it isn't to my liking at all (I bought my car on the lot, so I had no knowledge of suspensions back then until I joined the forums a few days later). You can follow the info in my Wrap thread.
      02-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
rotweiler
Private
Rep

In Europe we get m adaptive air suspension in m sport package...
bbut i think i will be good with m sport cause now i have family and i am not driving as fast as i used to...
especially in curves...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In Europe we get m adaptive air suspension in m sport package...
bbut i think i will be good with m sport cause now i have family and i am not driving as fast as i used to...
especially in curves...
Yes, you're right. Europe gets everything better including coding features standard lol.
      02-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
rotweiler
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you're right. Europe gets everything better including coding features standard lol.
what do you think in your own opinion...
20 inch wheels will that make the car too stiff... will i loose a lot in comfort...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
what do you think in your own opinion...
20 inch wheels will that make the car too stiff... will i loose a lot in comfort...
If you get a non-runflat (DWS) or the Delinte D8 (like possib1edoc and I have), you will be just fine with 20" wheels. No comfort lost at all. They are not advertised as a runflat, but my friend showed me the inner tube of the Delinte D8 - it seems to be a runflat, and a very comfortable one. Bigger wheels (without going crazy) also do get you better road feel/handling. I have 22" Delinte D8s, and I'm more than happy/comfortable (I do have thicker tire tread 285/35R22 - they ride really nicely similar to my 19" despite being hard to believe).
      02-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #22
rotweiler
Private
Rep

thank you opasha very much...
what is your opinion on comfort seats.
Appreciate 0