drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I don't know about just rock, but Buckethead is a better guitarist than everyone mentioned so far.

Paul Gilbert is too.

Shawn Lane
Yeah, buckethead is pretty unique--doubt anybody here knows about him. I have seen one of his shows and it does blow you away...but there aren't real songs per se.
Buckethead is a shredder and that's about it. Forgettable. There are tons of bedroom guitarists with as much talent as him. Saw him with GN'R and he did very well at turning Slash's amazing original solos into crap.

Saying he is better than. anyone on the list before his mention is just ignorant. And, kinda stupid.

Lots of great answers here, but Jimi is the man. Ask all these guitarists on this list that question, and they will likely answer the same way. Clapton saw Jimi play live and praised him as the best. Eddie VH and Satriani will say the same...
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #68
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

f
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzMMM View Post
Buckethead is a shredder and that's about it. Forgettable. There are tons of bedroom guitarists with as much talent as him. Saw him with GN'R and he did very well at turning Slash's amazing original solos into crap.

Saying he is better than. anyone on the list before his mention is just ignorant. And, kinda stupid.

Lots of great answers here, but Jimi is the man. Ask all these guitarists on this list that question, and they will likely answer the same way. Clapton saw Jimi play live and praised him as the best. Eddie VH and Satriani will say the same...
Buckethead is not just a shredder or "bedroom guitarist" lol. You lost all credibility because you clearly aren't familiar with his work, other than your beloved GNR, which he played effortlessly and better than Slash, IMO. I get it, people have an emotional connection with GNR so they don't think straight, but Slash isn't 10% the guitarist as Buckethead.

Dave Mustaine even said Buckethead is twice the guitarist of both himself and Slash combined.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dav...lash-combined/

Just one example of Buckethead not shredding, but you won't listen to it because you've made up your mind.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 06-04-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #69
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. He makes music from every genre depending on the album/mood. From funk, to blues, to jazz, rock, metal, atmospheric, etc.. His discography is soooo amazing, I recommend you ACTUALLY look into him and his work before saying foolish nonsense. Some of his songs have so much soul and character and meaning it will practically have you in tears. He has made over 300 studio albums and 1000's of songs, the man is just a genius/machine, and definitely a virtuoso on the guitar.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #70
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Here is Buckethead not covering Jimi, but paying respect to Jimi in something he rarely does - play the music of others. I think he did pretty damn well. Link me to a "Bedroom guitarist" playing like this.

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #71
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Ritchie Blackmore
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #72
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. He makes music from every genre depending on the album/mood. From funk, to blues, to jazz, rock, metal, atmospheric, etc.. His discography is soooo amazing, I recommend you ACTUALLY look into him and his work before saying foolish nonsense. Some of his songs have so much soul and character and meaning it will practically have you in tears. He has made over 300 studio albums and 1000's of songs, the man is just a genius/machine, and definitely a virtuoso on the guitar.
He's limiting his experience to his beloved GNR, which he feels Buckethead ruined because he didn't play the Slash solos like a sloppy mess with fake emotion.

He played them better, like he did here.

or his exact replica of Eruption as a warm up...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #73
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Quote:
Quote:

Buckethead is a sham. I have all his albums and even his guitar instruction videos. Shredder with a gimmick. Done.
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #74
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Buckethead is a sham. I have all his albums and even his guitar instruction videos. Shredder with a gimmick. Done.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #75
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I remember walking into the old Yale Hotel in Vancouver to this wall of sound by this player sitting on a chair with his guitar across his lap. Took all of a minute to realize that we were enjoying greatness ... that was before the release of See the Light so he was pretty much unknown at that point.
Especially considering he was blind.
      06-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #76
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #77
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Thread turned into a buckethead debate.
      06-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #78
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if someone's going to go Glen Campbell (who is very underrated), then there's a bunch of Southern rock guys: Hughie Thomasson, Al Collins, and the slide work of Gary Rossington.

But, for never getting his due and never getting recognized as one of the true greats: Randy Bachman!
Definitely some lesser known greats listed here!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #79
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Definitely some lesser known greats listed here!!!
Bachman really shouldn't be lesser known. Responsible for two of the all-time greatest riffs, and such a wide range of genre bending skill. For me, his ability to weave so many different influences into a singular sound (eg. Undun and Blue Collar) was so cool.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      06-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #80
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I love the Jeff Beck mention earlier.

No love for the motor city mad man? Ted Nugent. I wouldn't want him in my band (he's a real diva like eddie V), but the man can hang with anyone. Really fucking talented. And if the zombie apoclypse happens, he is the number one guy i want in my camp (Kill it and grill it?).

About 175,000 results (0.49 seconds)
Search Results

Ted Nugent - Stranglehold - YouTube
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #81
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I love the Jeff Beck mention earlier.

No love for the motor city mad man? Ted Nugent. I wouldn't want him in my band (he's a real diva like eddie V), but the man can hang with anyone. Really fucking talented. And if the zombie apoclypse happens, he is the number one guy i want in my camp (Kill it and grill it?).
Ted Nugent??? That guys a clown.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #82
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Most people think he's a dick but John Mayer is actually a pretty good guitar player.

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #83
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Most people think he's a dick but John Mayer is actually a pretty good guitar player.
He for sure has some chops! Not into most of his music(I like a couple songs) but he really is a pretty damn good blues guitarist(Eric Clapton and other greats agree)

Quote:
I'm not much a fan of him anymore(how he is/acts as a person) but he can get down on a guitar.
Appreciate 1
Kid Eh569.50
      06-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #84
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
?
Listen to some of his popular songs, solo or with "Damned Yankees". They guy is one of the 10 best, ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #85
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
?
Listen to some of his popular songs, solo or with "Damned Yankees". They guy is one of the 10 best, ever.
Now that's a good one.

Not even on Rolling Stones top 100 list.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ristsOfAllTime

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #86
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
I remember walking into the old Yale Hotel in Vancouver to this wall of sound by this player sitting on a chair with his guitar across his lap. Took all of a minute to realize that we were enjoying greatness ... that was before the release of See the Light so he was pretty much unknown at that point.
Yessir also saw him late 80’s in Halifax.
Post “see the light”
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #87
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Now that's a good one.

Not even on Rolling Stones top 100 list.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ristsOfAllTime
Screwed up list. They have a few right, but missed on many.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
jgoens3787.50
      06-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #88
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
I disagree with many of their picks. Is that the one where Willie nelson is #7?
Leifson at #99? Not a perfect list.
I agree but to not even make it? The list was compiled from votes from these pretty distinguished folks. Not like they picked them out of a hat.

Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Appreciate 0