2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Their basic armor includes:

Industrial grade Kitchenaid mixers

Sub Zero refridgeration

Viking Ranges (red)

And the usual Williams Sonoma gadgetry
Being druids, they also have access to Stonehenge, and access to the different planes of existence?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

If a gay couple come into a baker's shop and ask for a wedding cake, and the baker has 14 other wedding cake requests and cannot possibly fill them all, is it okay for the baker to choose which customers to serve?

If the baker chooses not to serve the gay couple, is that discrimination?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I'm okay with that idea. But i hate being humiliated by being told to my face that I'm not worthy of making a cake for. I also don't want to waste my time driving all over town finding someone who will make a cake for me.
Then don't be like the couple in question and go out of your way to seek out a baker that you know won't want to make the cake just so you can attempt to make an example out of them.
      06-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Depends. The Druid baker might come around if you offer him a +1 mace that enhances his werewolf abilities
Appreciate 2
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

My take on this subject is that whether or not a person is black, white, purple or whatever, their money is just as good as anyone else's. I also believe that a private owned business should be able to refuse service to anyone whom they so choose; part of the luxury of being a private business owner, however, money is money regardless of who it comes from. A private business owner also runs the risk of being labeled in the event that they are unable to fill orders due to being overbooked in the event that a person of whatever religious, ethnic or sexual oriented background they come from.
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7929.00
RickFLM410954.50
Mandi90TT2712.00
      06-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #28
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
This question is a very slippery slope.
I completely agree that it should be against the law not to sell because of race or gender. I agree they should not have to sell to a gay couple that will have 2 grooms on it. But I suspect I am wrong about my opinion about being able to sell to a gay couple.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I made brownies over the weekend. Who wants to eat them with me? I don't give a shit what color you are, if you are gay or straight or what religion you practice.

brownies, you say? How does the state of PA feel about said "brownies"???

Asking for a gay friend
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #30
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
brownies, you say? How does the state of PA feel about said "brownies"???

Asking for a gay friend
Don't get your hopes up, they are not those kind of brownies. I'm lame.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #31
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

The question of utmost importance is: did you waste chocolate space by adding any sort of nut????
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #32
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Just remember if we go down this road you have to start accommodating all religions. Fairly recently we just had a problem at the airport where Muslim cab drivers were refusing to take rides if the people had alcohol they had bought or brought home from a trip on them. This is a thing we do not want to open up as the lists would be endless. I really don’t feel like living in a society like that.

Last edited by minn19; 06-11-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
      06-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #33
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Where is the "unappreciate" button?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Just remember if we go down this road you have to start accommodating all religions. Fairly recently we just had a problem at the airport where Muslim cab drivers were refusing to take rides if the people had alcohol they had bought or brought home from a trip on them. This is a thing we do not want to open up as the lists would be endless. I really don't feel like living in a society like that.
C'mon man... download the Uber or Lyft app. Who takes cabs?
UncleWede17962.50
      06-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The question of utmost importance is: did you waste chocolate space by adding any sort of nut????
Do you mean are they anti-American communist brownies? Or are they patriotic flag waving brownies that:
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #36
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
C'mon man... download the Uber or Lyft app. Who takes cabs?
Apparently Uber and Lyft drivers are all non religious?

I'm guessing you are partly joking as well since you know what the point was.........
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #37
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
If a gay couple come into a baker's shop and ask for a wedding cake, and the baker has 14 other wedding cake requests and cannot possibly fill them all, is it okay for the baker to choose which customers to serve?

If the baker chooses not to serve the gay couple, is that discrimination?
if he denies them solely based on their sexuality, yes. if he denies them because they were last in line and he doesn't have time, no. it's a pretty simple concept.

should it be illegal to deny someone based on their sexuality? idk, if it is a private business i don't really care. if they aren't smart enough to separate business from personal biases let them miss out on more potential money.
Appreciate 3
wdb4716.50
      06-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #38
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apparently Uber and Lyft drivers are all non religious?

I'm guessing you are partly joking as well since you know what the point was.........
Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was entirely joking...

If you want a real answer here it is:

Yes, it already applies to all religious beliefs and practicing one's religion is not a road we are starting to go down. It has been around, as I am sure you know, for 200+ years.

So now gay people have the right to marry. Good for them! But that creates a new conflict with religious rights for some religions. How do we deal with it? As I noted earlier, I think there are more constructive solutions to the conflict than trying to legally force the religious to abandon their beliefs. People need to learn to coexist with different beliefs and work around each other.

Now, if the baker loses business because many / most people prefer to buy from a different baker who is more inclusive, or the cab / Uber / Lyft driver loses too many fares because everyone in Minnesota travels with rum, too bad for them. If people abandon religions because they teach values followers don't agree with, then so be it. However, in the meantime, just go buy the cake elsewhere or take a different cab.

BTW, is anyone suing the cab company? How did you get home that day?
      06-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer
if he denies them solely based on their sexuality, yes. if he denies them because they were last in line and he doesn't have time, no. it's a pretty simple concept.
Again, he didn't deny them due to their sexuality, he objected to his artwork being used in a particular ceremony. He even offered to make them a blank cake that they could have decorated elsewhere, he just refused to do the decorations himself.

Further...how is the customer to distinguish whether or not the baker denies them on the grounds that he (or she) is too busy?

Quote:
Just remember if we go down this road you have to start accommodating all religions. Fairly recently we just had a problem at the airport where Muslim cab drivers were refusing to take rides if the people had alcohol they had bought or brought home from a trip on them. This is a thing we do not want to open up as the lists would be endless. I really don't feel like living in a society like that.
How would they even know?
      06-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #40
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was entirely joking...

If you want a real answer here it is:

Yes, it already applies to all religious beliefs and practicing one's religion is not a road we are starting to go down. It has been around, as I am sure you know, for 200+ years.

So now gay people have the right to marry. Good for them! But that creates a new conflict with religious rights for some religions. How do we deal with it? As I noted earlier, I think there are more constructive solutions to the conflict than trying to legally force the religious to abandon their beliefs. People need to learn to coexist with different beliefs and work around each other.

Now, if the baker loses business because many / most people prefer to buy from a different baker who is more inclusive, or the cab / Uber / Lyft driver loses too many fares because everyone in Minnesota travels with rum, too bad for them. If people abandon religions because they teach values followers don't agree with, then so be it. However, in the meantime, just go buy the cake elsewhere or take a different cab.

BTW, is anyone suing the cab company? How did you get home that day?
How are they being legally forced to abandon their beliefs?

If you can’t see the the road this will take us down if we allow people to discriminate against each other based on “religious freedom” then no amount of discussion or examples will get you to see my and others point.

I agree with some others here, if you open a business to the public you should serve the entire public regardless of race beliefs etc. Beliligerent clients etc are a different topic.

Furthermore what kind of religion says love your fellow man and turn the other cheek and then says it is ok to discriminate against them based on something like this?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How are they being legally forced to abandon their beliefs?

If you can’t see the the road this will take us down if we allow people to discriminate against each other based on “religious freedom” then no amount of discussion or examples will get you to see my and others point.

I agree with some others here, if you open a business to the public you should serve the entire public regardless of race beliefs etc. Beliligerent clients etc are a different topic.

Furthermore what kind of religion says love your fellow man and turn the other cheek and then says it is ok to discriminate against them based on something like this?
In your mind there is no co-existence. Everyone must agree or else. I don’t agree it is such a simple issue as you want it to be. Obviously nothing I say will matter to your viewpoint either. So yes, we can stop here even though you left me on the edge of my seat about the airport cab ride. I hope you’re not still hoofing it home...
      06-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #42
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In your mind there is no co-existence. Everyone must agree or else. I don’t agree it is such a simple issue as you want it to be. Obviously nothing I say will matter to your viewpoint either. So yes, we can stop here even though you left me on the edge of my seat about the airport cab ride. I hope you’re not still hoofing it home...
What would I do? Find another ride of course. This has gone far beyond that and the baker and the cake and the gay couple...............I think everyone involved in that lawsuit is a bunch of attention seeking snowflakes. Both are being used by their respective sides to fight a proxy culture war. But, the baker opened a place of business based on the laws of his state etc and decided to ignore them. Nobody forced him to open a business to the public and put his religious beliefs to the test. I wonder how consistent he is in applying said beliefs or if it is ok to did this to a gay couple, but other indiscretions/sins are ok?

My whole point is about coexistence in public. Whatever you want to do in private or at your church, synagogue, temple, mosque I don't give a fu*! (legally of course, no molestation etc etc). But, if I walk into a place of business I expect to be served no matter my race, sexual orientation or beliefs etc. If I have no money and am a belligerent asshole then kick me out, but that is an entirely different conversation.

If as a society we legalize this with all of the religions we have now it will be a bleeping mess. Not only will it end up being inconvenient as hell it will further divide us along cultural and racial lines causing more strife. Again, I don't want to live in a society like that. It will take us down the road the ME finds itself in IMO.

Last edited by minn19; 06-11-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #43
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

And my bad, I thought this was a lot more recent, but it was quite a while ago. It also included people if they had dogs with them. And I wasn't involved in it, it just happened to be a very big story of the day.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...33289220070417
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Actually a great article from Foxnews of all places. Is this religious freedom or creating an entirely separate society hiding behind that? Is this what we want completely legalized?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/11...res-build.html
Appreciate 0