BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Finally drove the F15 50i

I've had 2 previous X5s (both 8cyl) and always keep at least 1 BMW in the fleet so needless to say I was excited to drive the new one. I have been a little put off by BMWs lack of black Nappa but otherwise excited for a new adventure.

Observations:
The size is comparable to the E70 though it feels roomier. The electronic steering is duller but not in a horrible way. I actually think the lighter feel could be a welcomed change. The NAV screen is AMAZING! I don't believe there to be another car on the road that comes close. Those of you concerned about the sun washing it out shouldn't, as I was driving it on a clear sunny Florida day and it was stunning. The power - WOW. I don't believe the engine changed too much from my current E70 but it felt like it had more torque and go. It made me smile.

I'm not a real fan of the look. The side profile seems awkward and the 20" wheels too small. I didn't get the feeling that I was driving nearly as masculine an SAV as the previous model. My opinion is that they went in the direction of the better selling Lexus RX and the less robust/toned down exterior coupled with the slightly more open interior only adds to suspicion.

Overall I thought it was a nice car but one that was emotionless. Much like my mothers Lexus, I didn't feel inspired getting in or out. For most, this will be a great, great car. Personally, I've decided to save a little money, focus driving enthusiast attention on my 911 and get the updated 550i M Sport as a daily.

Last edited by 0_steve; 01-26-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 20's look small!

Share your pov about the side view of the F'15, doesn't do much for me either

Unfortunately, in that regard it really is a bigger version of the X3..