BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Time for new battery? X5 2014

My 2014 X5 now has intermittent HUB issues. Sometimes it won't come on at all, I'm told this is a sign for weak battery.

My car currently around 82K miles and I only drive it few times on the weekend so I do suspect it's time to replace the battery.

There are many links, can someone tell me which battery to get? I know needs to be AMG and they comes in so many different prices. Registration and coding requirement? Not very technical and I'm looking for indie shops in DFW that can do it beside dealership, what's the price range I should expect?

Thank you for your time

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

$40 you can do it yourself.

If you change size, you have to code.
If you put a new battery in of the same Ah rating (or IMO +/- 5Ah) you can just register it.

You can do it with Bimmer Link and a BT dongle. $40.
I would not bother pay a shop if you can turn the wrenches and follow some easy steps to swap it out. Then you have a great app for diagnostics and trouble shooting in the future.

You can also try hooking you battery up to a good charger if you have access for one. I have a 2015 on original batteries and I had HUD issues as well. Dealer said it was the 6WB dash cluster... I've been hitting it with a charger every month or so and we drive it fairly often, but the charging system only sends amps under specific situations for fuel economy reasons.

If you do change the battery yourself, ensure you leave the trunk open and unlock for 15 minutes. The hazard orange light will go out on the dash. Vehicle is in sleep mode, you can pull the negative and do the swap and avoid the common 3 error codes post battery swap (all easily fixable)

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
$40 you can do it yourself.

If you change size, you have to code.
If you put a new battery in of the same Ah rating (or IMO +/- 5Ah) you can just register it.

You can do it with Bimmer Link and a BT dongle. $40.
I would not bother pay a shop if you can turn the wrenches and follow some easy steps to swap it out. Then you have a great app for diagnostics and trouble shooting in the future.

You can also try hooking you battery up to a good charger if you have access for one. I have a 2015 on original batteries and I had HUD issues as well. Dealer said it was the 6WB dash cluster... I've been hitting it with a charger every month or so and we drive it fairly often, but the charging system only sends amps under specific situations for fuel economy reasons.

If you do change the battery yourself, ensure you leave the trunk open and unlock for 15 minutes. The hazard orange light will go out on the dash. Vehicle is in sleep mode, you can pull the negative and do the swap and avoid the common 3 error codes post battery swap (all easily fixable)

Good luck.
Thank you for the info
I have purchased bimmerlink app and going to try to do this myself next weekend. Never done this before, heard AutoZone will replace batteries, maybe I can do the registration myself later?
Looks like new battery will be around $200 so that's almost 1/3 of what dealer quoted me.

Current Ride
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
Thank you for the info
I have purchased bimmerlink app and going to try to do this myself next weekend. Never done this before, heard AutoZone will replace batteries, maybe I can do the registration myself later?
Looks like new battery will be around $200 so that's almost 1/3 of what dealer quoted me.
I wouldn't let any one from AutoZone near the car, given its need to rest prior to batter change. There's also more that can go wrong than go right from their parking lot swap. Moreover the AutoZone AGMS are Exide produced and do not get a great reputation for longevity.

Aside: BMW for years and years used batteries made by Varta, when Varta was still partially owned by the Quandts. About the time they divested Varta to Johnson Controls (read Optima, Interstate, DieHard, older Duralast, Energizer etc) BMW shifted their batteries to Exide in Reading, PA. Within the past ~5 years (maybe it was longer) they have changed again, and are now using East Penn Manufacturing (read Deka) in Lyons Station, PA. Interestingly if you dig enough in the ETK, you'll find part numbers for two different sets of batteries. The ones without extra details are for the older Exides, the ones denoted EP Battery are East Penn.

This DIY is decent enough to get the idea:

The factory Batteries are supplied by East Penn/Deka these days.
01 EP Battery 92AH AGM 1 61212353812
01 EP Battery 105AH 1 61212353814

Specifically you want the Deka Intimidator -AGM Series
The 92AH is a 9A49. AGM Group H8
The 105AH is a 9A95R AGM Group H9

In turn this equates to a NAPA Legend Premium AGM as all of NAPAs higher line batteries are East Penn made.
NAPA BAT 9849 - 9A49 ~$200
NAPA BAT 9895R - 9A95R ~$292

Note NAPA is running 20% off if you pre-purchase online: https://www.napaonline.com/offers/20...f=homeCarousel

Last edited by X Mon™; 01-29-2022 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
beattiecj129.00
Clifton226.00
      01-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
I wouldn't let any one from AutoZone near the car, given its need to rest prior to batter change. There's also more that can go wrong than go right from their parking lot swap. Moreover the AutoZone AGMS are Exide produced and do not get a great reputation for longevity.
Agreed about the parking lot repair. Duralast batteries from AZ aren’t terrible. I’ve used them as replacement batteries across my cars over the years. Average life is over 3 years with +4 seeming the norm. They do however have a good battery replacement policy. If your battery is acting up within the first 3 years, they give you a new one. I have one car that lives on a battery tender which eats batteries on regular intervals. They have been good about swapping me out with a new one and rarely to have to pay.

That said, I will check out Napa for the next replacement cycle and appreciate the details you included in your post.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Mon退 View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the info

Aside: BMW for years and years used batteries made by Varta, when Varta was still partially owned by the Quandts. About the time they divested Varta to Johnson Controls (read Optima, Interstate, DieHard, older Duralast, Energizer etc) BMW shifted their batteries to Exide in Reading, PA. Within the past ~5 years (maybe it was longer) they have changed again, and are now using East Penn Manufacturing (read Deka) in Lyons Station, PA. Interestingly if you dig enough in the ETK, you'll find part numbers for two different sets of batteries. The ones without extra details are for the older Exides, the ones denoted EP Battery are East Penn.

This DIY is decent enough to get the idea:

In turn this equates to a NAPA Legend Premium AGM as all of NAPAs higher line batteries are East Penn made.

Note NAPA is running 20% off if you pre-purchase online: https://www.napaonline.com/offers/20...f=homeCarousel
Thank you. That's amazing info
Looks like I'll order NAPA BAT 9849 - 9A49 from them

Current Ride
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Have you looked at the battery that’s already installed? If not, take a look to see if it is a H8 or H9 battery.

Why? If you have a 95R/H9 battery installed and you order the 49/H8 battery…you will be changing the AH (amp hour) from a 105AH to a smaller 90AH/92AH/95AH battery which will also require recoding the for the new battery as well as registering it.

The 95R/H9 batteries usually are 105AH or 110 AH….whereas the 49/H8 batteries usually range between 90AH - 95AH. As long as the battery’s specs stay within a small AH range…you won’t have to recode the new battery…and just register it. But if you do change the battery specs…it will require both coding & registration. So instead of buying your replacement battery based on price alone…see what you have installed first.

Also, don’t forget to connect vent tube as well as plug the hole on the other side of the battery. I didn’t watch the video posted above…so thought I’d toss that tip out just in case it wasn’t covered in the video.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
X Mon™
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Agreed about the parking lot repair. Duralast batteries from AZ aren’t terrible. I’ve used them as replacement batteries across my cars over the years. Average life is over 3 years with +4 seeming the norm. They do however have a good battery replacement policy. If your battery is acting up within the first 3 years, they give you a new one. I have one car that lives on a battery tender which eats batteries on regular intervals. They have been good about swapping me out with a new one and rarely to have to pay.

That said, I will check out Napa for the next replacement cycle and appreciate the details you included in your post.

When the Duralast's were still Johnson Controls, I'd agree with you. I ran the yellow top Durlast exclusively in a number of Subarus during the dark times (the 10 years I spent without a BMW daily driver). The newer ones are just meh. I'm not sure if the whole lines has moved to Exide or not, but I do know that gone are the days of a 7 or 8 year Duralast battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:39 AM   #9
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Have you looked at the battery that’s already installed? If not, take a look to see if it is a H8 or H9 battery.

Why? If you have a 95R/H9 battery installed and you order the 49/H8 battery…you will be changing the AH (amp hour) from a 105AH to a smaller 90AH/92AH/95AH battery which will also require recoding the for the new battery as well as registering it.

The 95R/H9 batteries usually are 105AH or 110 AH….whereas the 49/H8 batteries usually range between 90AH - 95AH. As long as the battery’s specs stay within a small AH range…you won’t have to recode the new battery…and just register it. But if you do change the battery specs…it will require both coding & registration. So instead of buying your replacement battery based on price alone…see what you have installed first.

Also, don’t forget to connect vent tube as well as plug the hole on the other side of the battery. I didn’t watch the video posted above…so thought I’d toss that tip out just in case it wasn’t covered in the video.
Looks like I have 2 batteries, is it important to change both? I'm not technical so I'm having a local shop doing the install.

Current Ride
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I have 2 batteries, is it important to change both? I'm not technical so I'm having a local shop doing the install.
Change them when they are no longer holding a charge.

If your aux battery is still healthy...then it would be a choice to make if you want to change it "just because" or "while I'm there....might as well"...or its fine.

The aux battery does have a symbiotic relationship with the PCU (power control unit)...so it may benefit from a longer life...depending on your personal circumstances.

Here's a direct link to a thread about the aux battery & PCU that's going on at the same time as this one (in case you haven't seen it): https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=54

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:

I'm in need of a new battery. I have the 105AH 95R. Tried to get in on the 20% online deal last night, and it wouldn't let me purchase. Kept saying "call and check availability". It was 10:00pm so obviously all stores were closed. Called this morn and the NAPA BAT 9895R - 9A95R is on backorder. Any other brand recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Most batteries in the USA are made by 3 companies:
  1. Johnson Controls
  2. Exide
  3. East Penn

There are some "boutique" battery manufacturers out there...but most of the ones found in the general retail market will be made by (and branded) for whoever has the contract.

It's not hard to tell which from which because the battery cases for each manufacturer is the same...and only the case color and branding labels are different.

Again, if you want a 105AH battery...then shop for the 95R/H9 battery...they are all over the place...as well as the slightly smaller 49/H8 battery class size....which usually will have one of 3 amp hour ratings 90/92/95.

Off the top of my head...below are some automotive vendors that usually sell both or at least one of the battery class sizes aforementioned:
  1. Batteries Plus
  2. Walmart
  3. AutoZone
  4. Advanced Auto
  5. O'Reilly's
  6. Pep Boys
  7. NAPA
  8. Sams' Club
  9. Costco
  10. SEARS (used to...not sure anymore since their closed shop in many locations)

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 07:16 AM   #13
X Mon™
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
I'm in need of a new battery. I have the 105AH 95R. Tried to get in on the 20% online deal last night, and it wouldn't let me purchase. Kept saying "call and check availability". It was 10:00pm so obviously all stores were closed. Called this morn and the NAPA BAT 9895R - 9A95R is on backorder. Any other brand recommendations?
Q is correct in his post above. As I'm biased from bad experiences with Exides, my preference is Deka, then Johnson Controls noting that the newer interstates have been mediocre.

Google suggests the Deka 9A95R is available via Rock Auto -> https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/de...R,battery,2476
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Q is correct in his post above. As I'm biased from bad experiences with Exides, my preference is Deka, then Johnson Controls noting that the newer interstates have been mediocre.

Google suggests the Deka 9A95R is available via Rock Auto -> https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/de...R,battery,2476
The upside of buying local like from AutoZone is those stores are everywhere and should you need to warranty an aging/failing battery its no hassle.

Online retailers like Rockauto and Summit Racing are great too. The not so great part of ordering online is:
  1. Damages during shipping - it's a real issue
  2. Warranty returns - shipping is pricy
  3. Limited return/exchange policy

I ordered my Aux batter from Summit. The battery shipped quickly from GA to NC (~2 days). When I received it, the box was fine, but the battery definitely went for a "ride". One corner was smashed like it was dropped from the sky. Fortunately Summit was great about it and sent a replacement. The second battery was intact, but it could have easily suffered the same fate. Most online retailers have a ZERO return policy and/or can stick you with the return shipping on things like batteries, so shop wisely.
Attached Images

Last edited by Clifton; 02-02-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 05:55 PM   #15
M302_imola
Major
Rep

I swear I've looked at so many places, NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and they all seem to be out of the 95R H9 battery. I'd rather not order online at rockauto as it was mentioned warranty can be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:27 PM   #16
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
I swear I've looked at so many places, NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and they all seem to be out of the 95R H9 battery. I'd rather not order online at rockauto as it was mentioned warranty can be an issue.
Oreilly has it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...true&pos=3
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #17
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Thanks! I just ordered it. 10% discount with code ordering online and says it will be delivered tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #18
SD35D
Rep
Drives: BMW 35D

Just replaced mine. 2014 n57. Bought the 105ah oem battery at the dealer for 290 out the door. Used bimmerlink to register it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #19
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD35D View Post
Just replaced mine. 2014 n57. Bought the 105ah oem battery at the dealer for 290 out the door. Used bimmerlink to register it.
Very nice! Mine was $230 from O'Reilly's and I'll get $22 back when I return my old battery (core charge). Best of all I ordered it at 1:00pm yesterday and it was on my doorstep before noon today.

Curious what the warranty is on the OEM battery? Mine has 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD35D View Post
Very nice! Mine was $230 from O'Reilly's and I'll get $22 back when I return my old battery (core charge). Best of all I ordered it at 1:00pm yesterday and it was on my doorstep before noon today.

Curious what the warranty is on the OEM battery? Mine has 3 years.
Was it $230 with the 10% off coupon? I recently bought one, and it ended up being $187 after core return. One helluva deal overall, but our local bmw dealer wasn't far behind - $220 out of the door.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #21
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I just dropped my 2014 X6 off at the dealer today to get the battery replaced and registered. I was planning to do it myself (I own BimmerCode but not BimmerLink.) After thinking about it, I figured the last battery lasted 7 years so I just decided not to worry about saving a couple of hundred bucks for something that only has to be done every 7 years or so. This way I know I'll get the right battery and it'll be properly registered.
      02-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #22
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Was it $230 with the 10% off coupon? I recently bought one, and it ended up being $187 after core return. One helluva deal overall, but our local bmw dealer wasn't far behind - $220 out of the door.
Yeah that was with 10% off. Around $187 before taxes and core charges. $230 to my door then I'll get $22 back w/ the core.
Appreciate 0