BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
Mark2389
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Dash wrinkles

So I’m looking to get this X5. It’s a 2014 with 122k with a nice service history. Only issues I see is the dash has some bubbles/wrinkles. I have a 2015 x5 and it doesn’t have this issue. Not sure if this leather is different if it has this as a known issue. Could I maybe glue it back down? Maybe use a syringe put some glue in through the stitches or around the speaker area? A dash from a junkyard is like $400 but I think it’s a lot of work. Any advice appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
ibz.s.b
2018 F15 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite

That looks like it would've been the extended merino leather option which included a leather trimmed dash. I guess from the constant sun heat that it made the leather sag/lift. I've seen similar things happen to leather lined roofs within the previous generation Range Rover in hot countries.

Granted, it shouldn't happen especially on the dash where heat is expected to build up due to the sun's rays. I had a leather trimmed dash in my old 6 series Gran Coupe and never had any issues.

Your best bet would be to speak to someone that does retrims/interiors for the best fix as these leathers tend to be very delicate. I remember checking how cushiony the leather dash was with my finger nail in my 6GC and it left a permanent nail mark
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
Mark2389
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz.s.b View Post
That looks like it would've been the extended merino leather option which included a leather trimmed dash. I guess from the constant sun heat that it made the leather sag/lift. I've seen similar things happen to leather lined roofs within the previous generation Range Rover in hot countries.

Granted, it shouldn't happen especially on the dash where heat is expected to build up due to the sun's rays. I had a leather trimmed dash in my old 6 series Gran Coupe and never had any issues.

Your best bet would be to speak to someone that does retrims/interiors for the best fix as these leathers tend to be very delicate. I remember checking how cushiony the leather dash was with my finger nail in my 6GC and it left a permanent nail mark
Not sure if it is the extended merino leather. If getting it fixed is expensive. You think I could just get a regular dash in black for like $4-500 and just replace it? I mean it would still be black. Everything else like seats looks to be in good condition. I’ve been looking for a 535 or x5 for over a month and this one checks all the marks but just has this issue. I’ll see if the vin decoder shows me the leather. It does have heated and ventilated from seats if that part of the extended leather. I don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
ibz.s.b
2018 F15 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2389 View Post
Not sure if it is the extended merino leather. If getting it fixed is expensive. You think I could just get a regular dash in black for like $4-500 and just replace it? I mean it would still be black. Everything else like seats looks to be in good condition. I’ve been looking for a 535 or x5 for over a month and this one checks all the marks but just has this issue. I’ll see if the vin decoder shows me the leather. It does have heated and ventilated from seats if that part of the extended leather. I don’t know.
It's possible that it might not be 'extended merino leather' BUT I do remember the 'Dashboard trimmed in leather' to be a separate option. You can tell it's not a standard dashboard by the white stitching around the edges, whereas the usual one is black plastic with a leather grain.

Replacing the dash with the regular black plastic one shouldn't be an issue but if you look closely the top part of the door cards is trimmed in the same leather so you'll interupt the design. In my old 6GC it was champagne and dark blue leather split 2 tone with blue on the upper part of the doorcards and continuing to a fully blue leather dashboard so in that if I replaced the dashboard it wouldn't match with the door cards and interrupt the design also.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2389 View Post
It's Nappa leather, fine-grain semi-aniline. On the F15 this was called the "Nappa interior design package". I have no clue what the difference between Nappa and Merino is other than the name.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #6
mike126
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 50i

Garage List
BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
I have the same problem also need help
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:44 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

That looks awful, not sure how you'd fix that? It probably sat in the sun too long?

That's definitely the nappa leather dash not just based on pictures, but that mocha interior only came with the 'interior design package.' However, you could also opt for a leather dash as a standalone option w/o getting the 'interior design package' - that's what I have but my dash doesn't have any of those wrinkles (also has a 1/4 of the miles of this one mentioned).

Either live with it, or find another X5 would be my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike126 View Post
I have the same problem also need help
How many miles on yours? Does it sit out in the sun? You have a windshield cover/screen?
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      06-29-2023, 09:18 PM   #8
Plus1
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 x50i

Mine has this problem. 2016 X50i 50k miles. Bought used from my brother...he didn't even notice it lol. Wasn't garaged and in the south. Paint is in great shape but the dash is the thing that kills me. I'd like to put a new (used) dash in but I'm wary of some rattling after a new one is installed. Judging by the videos I've seen of dash removal it looks a little involved to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:47 AM   #9
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
That looks awful, not sure how you'd fix that? It probably sat in the sun too long?

That's definitely the nappa leather dash not just based on pictures, but that mocha interior only came with the 'interior design package.' However, you could also opt for a leather dash as a standalone option w/o getting the 'interior design package' - that's what I have but my dash doesn't have any of those wrinkles (also has a 1/4 of the miles of this one mentioned).

Either live with it, or find another X5 would be my suggestion.

How many miles on yours? Does it sit out in the sun? You have a windshield cover/screen?
Is your dash Nappa or does it look more like Dakota like the seats? Stitching in white or black? I'm also trying to figure out if the standalone leather dash was offered on any model other than V8's--I don't believe it was.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:02 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
...I have no clue what the difference between Nappa and Merino is other than the name.
Merino leather is a "fine" grain leather with no "artificial" coating...which is why it looks & feels the softest but is the easiest to damage since it doesn't have any protective coating. But leather conditioners (and cleaners) can actually penetrate into the leather.

Nappa is a "full" grain leather and has a "light" protective coating. It is also soft to the touch and looks and feels good.

Vernasca leather would fall into the same category as the Dakota/Nevada. It has an embossed grain pattern and has a synthetic polymer coating which makes it better for rougher usage (small kids/pets/etc).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      06-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Is your dash Nappa or does it look more like Dakota like the seats? Stitching in white or black? I'm also trying to figure out if the standalone leather dash was offered on any model other than V8's--I don't believe it was.
My dash is Nappa, I think they all are if optioned with leather dashboard? My stitching is black on the dash and doors, though my seat stitching is white/contrast, which was standard for 2017-2018 model years (2014-2016 seat stitching is black, assuming black seats).

I just looked at the 2018 X5 non-M build guide and leather dash was available as a standalone option on every model from the sDrive35i to xDrive50i for $1200. Which is odd at least for the 50i, as for 2017 models like mine, leather dashboard was part of the Executive Package (per my window sticker, and I checked the 2017 X5 build guide).
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      06-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #12
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Merino leather is a "fine" grain leather with no "artificial" coating...which is why it looks & feels the softest but is the easiest to damage since it doesn't have any protective coating. But leather conditioners (and cleaners) can actually penetrate into the leather.

Nappa is a "full" grain leather and has a "light" protective coating. It is also soft to the touch and looks and feels good.

Vernasca leather would fall into the same category as the Dakota/Nevada. It has an embossed grain pattern and has a synthetic polymer coating which makes it better for rougher usage (small kids/pets/etc).
Great info here thanks. So what's the difference between "full" grain and "fine" grain?

Nappa as I understand is 'full-grain', meaning a natural pattern surface that isn't stamped like Dakota/NV/Vernasca but also isn't shaved or sanded to artificially create a fine-grain look.

Merino does have a coating, just a natural rather than artificial one. Uncoated leather in a car would look awful within weeks no matter how careful you are, very porous material.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 12:02 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto...my understanding of the difference between "fine" and "full grain" is the same. The "fine grain" leather has gone through a buffing/sanding process to remove any blemishes.

For example, if the cow hide has a barbed wire marking on it...the "fine grain" process would sand out the blemish. Where as if the hide was being processed just to be "full grained" the blemish could still be slightly visible.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50