BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #111
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

This is called "customer segmentation" which is very common in all big companies. They place customers in different categories and treat them differently depending on how valuable they are for the company (meaning how much money they bring to BMW). In the case above where BMW decided to replace the car it is clear they have him as a high value customer. Not many people fork $100k to buy a non M X5. I don't know his past history with BMW or this dealer specifically but I would assume he has brought lots of money to them. Thus, he deserves this treatment. In my case I merely lease a no more than $70k X5 every 3 years so while still a good customer I am by no means a VIP one. Thus, when I complained to BMW about the crappy instrument cluster they put in my brand new X5 just because I did not add HUD (I had no clue I would get a POS cluster without HUD) they could not care less. And the dealer also ignored me. Now is up to me to make a move to another brand or to keep the current status I have in their segmentation. If I leave, they won't miss me for sure. That is how business work in big corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Glad this worked out for you!

My BMW dealer crashed my E70 last month while it was in for an oil change. They had my car for 3 weeks while replacing the bumper and fender. Put me into an X1 loaner.

I asked them to buy the car back and they told me to go **** myself.

Called BMWNA and they told me to go **** myself. It's my second BMW, and my last.

Consider yourself a VIP customer, or just plain lucky to receive that kind of service from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #112
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
No, it's two years old.
You have a valid argument. Everytime you try and trade that car or sell it will be worth less bc of accident...That's fact....I would make them buy it back...
      01-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #113
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
This is called "customer segmentation" which is very common in all big companies. They place customers in different categories and treat them differently depending on how valuable they are for the company (meaning how much money they bring to BMW). In the case above where BMW decided to replace the car it is clear they have him as a high value customer. Not many people fork $100k to buy a non M X5. I don't know his past history with BMW or this dealer specifically but I would assume he has brought lots of money to them. Thus, he deserves this treatment. In my case I merely lease a no more than $70k X5 every 3 years so while still a good customer I am by no means a VIP one. Thus, when I complained to BMW about the crappy instrument cluster they put in my brand new X5 just because I did not add HUD (I had no clue I would get a POS cluster without HUD) they could not care less. And the dealer also ignored me. Now is up to me to make a move to another brand or to keep the current status I have in their segmentation. If I leave, they won't miss me for sure. That is how business work in big corporations.
IMO, these are two totally different situations. In one, a brand new BMW fails on the drive home from delivery. In the other, two year old car is damaged by the dealer during a repair visit.

To me, the first situation falls into the "lemon" category and I think we would all expect BMW to step up regardless of how well optioned the vehicle. I'm sure Dencoop's history of buying many BMWs was a factor in this case, but this is different from the second situation. In J-man's case, the dealership is completely responsible for repairing the vehicle and making the customer whole; BMWNA should not be held responsible, IMO. I certainly would not expect a buyback if my two year old vehicle was damaged during a service visit.

BMWMN1971, you say in your post that your dealership ignored you, but I thought you previously posted that they had offered to refund your money and order a new car. Which is it?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #114
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
IMO, these are two totally different situations. In one, a brand new BMW fails on the drive home from delivery. In the other, two year old car is damaged by the dealer during a repair visit.

To me, the first situation falls into the "lemon" category and I think we would all expect BMW to step up regardless of how well optioned the vehicle. I'm sure Dencoop's history of buying many BMWs was a factor in this case, but this is different from the second situation. In J-man's case, the dealership is completely responsible for repairing the vehicle and making the customer whole; BMWNA should not be held responsible, IMO. I certainly would not expect a buyback if my two year old vehicle was damaged during a service visit.
+1.
Appreciate 0