BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 25d sdrive

Pretty much same story in my case. Company lease, good discount but stricter policy on emissions. Add to that taxation in Belgium and for my lease budget I could take a well loaded 25 sdrive or a less loaded 25 xdrive or just not the standard 30d xdrive. Lease price between first and last is approx 25 % more expensive. Standard seems to include less than in the US, most options are way more expensive even in euros than in dollars. Given the exchange rate and some quotes i've seen on this forum, I believe my 25 sdrive budget would allow in the US for at least a well equipped 35d or probably the 40d. Don't understand these price policies. BMW is making a fortune in Europe and still I have to wait 10 months for delivery ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #24
Edwin1963
X5 Sdrive25D in order
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

review 25D on YouTube

Hi all,

I currently drive a two year old F10/530D and ordered a month ago a X5 Sdrive25D. It will be delivered mid august with these specifications:
- M-sportspack
- Carbonblack
- High Executive pack
- Comfort seats with heating
- Dakota black/black leader
- Aluminium Hexagon strips
- Rear camera
- 19 inch/style 467 M
- Panoramic sunroof
- Harman & Kardon Hifi system
- Sunscreens

By the way: on YouTube I found a review of the 25D

No try-out of the 25D for me neither. Allthought I will miss my current 6-cylinder for sure...I'm full of trust the 4-cylinder Twinturbo will kick ass!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #25
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin1963 View Post

By the way: on YouTube I found a review of the 25D

No try-out of the 25D for me neither. Allthought I will miss my current 6-cylinder for sure...I'm full of trust the 4-cylinder Twinturbo will kick ass!
I liked the review and the reviewer had a good honest approach.

Who could have imagined BMW ever offering a 4 cylinder engine when the E53 X5 was launched? Times are a changing.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

X5 25d

Hello,

I searched the net, found this forum, and thought I should make a posting. So, here is my first post

In January we started to look for a new car, having had our Volvo XC60 D3 for about 3 years. An OUTSTANDING car and we are extremely happy with it.

Having had one BMW in the past (owned a X1 a few Months before the XC 60, but we were not happy) - I thought we shall to give BMW one more chance

So, to cut things short, buying something smaller than the XC60 is kind of no point for us, and looking at Volvo as of today...they do not really have any interesting options.
I bet however that the new, coming XC90 will be a great car.

So early February this year we test-drove the new X5 30D (258HP in Norway) as well as a Cayenne 211HP.
Both great machines. We really liked the Cayenne - the interior, especially the seats, they are a bit softer and better than the BMW's IMO.
But the X5 is great too, the 258HP engine pulled very nicely, and its hard to beat the BMW as of what you get for your hard earned pennies.
Anyway, the Comfort seats is a must-have in this car we feel.

We early saw that in whichever way we configured the Porsche, trying to be very gentle on the "we need to have checkboxes",
we just couldn’t get any reasonable car for the money we want to spend.

A few weeks went on and we kind of let the mind cool down a bit.
Then the BMW seller called us one day and said they had just gotten the 25D (211HP) version if we wanted to test drive...

Of course interesting
I didn’t really expect much of this engine in this big car - but surely the price would make this config interesting.
(FYI it is about NOK 130000 or USD 21000 in difference between the 30D and 25D versions in Norway due to various fees/taxes.)
But we were VERY POSITIVELY impressed by this 2L engine. Its quite amazing and it worked very smooth with the excellent 8 speed gearbox.

So...the result...empty pocket, haha

Ordered the X5 25D, and this engine/price gave us the opportunity to add almost everything we wanted from the options list.

Roughly, Canberra beige leather, hook (as our first hook for many years), DAB, Comfort seats, surround cams, 19" 450 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon’s, heated steering, the full Pro Navi and BT pack, heated rear seats, dark windows, HiFi, Comfort access, interior light pack, Speed Limit info, Running boards ++.

Delivery is estimated to late July, so lets see. The X5 will really have something to live up to for us now - thinking of how happy we have been with the XC60.
But then again, these are two different cars and we are very, very excited now

Thanks reading.

Best
B

Last edited by BXdriver; 04-25-2014 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Some typos + specs
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #27
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

Congratulations on you order, BXdriver. I also test drove x25d and was very positively surprised with the engine. Let's share impressions again when we take delivery. BTW, I would have bought XC60 had they offered it 4WD with new VEA engine or new XC90 were it available earlier. So, similar thinking about car ordering. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #28
BXdriver
Norway
Rep

Thanks atlantiQue.

Seems we are in a very similar "boat" then, so yes, let's keep in touch when the cars arrive

We would probably also gotten either the new XC90 or even another, updated XC60 now, IF they had been available with, as you say 4WD, the new VEA engines - and their new 8-speed gearbox. But, that's not the case

But I do believe however that the BMW's 8-speed gearbox is kind of unmatched - at least it felt extremely smooth/fast on the 25D.

Cheers
B
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #29
MJF120
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 25D

Hi,

I took delivery of my Sdrive 25D back at the end of March and nearly a month in I have been very happy with it. I find the engine perfectly adequate and its worth remember that at 218HP there are 3.0 out there with lower outputs, and with worse gear boxes.

I also looked at Volvo but the engine and gearbox combination (and resulting fuel economy) really lets them down at the moment (which I am sure will improve soon).

I came from an E61 and I am finding the F15 to be very comfortable although the ride is a bit softer and as a result it can be a little bouncier on some road surfaces. But I am comparing it to a 5-series which had a firm ride.

I have been driving primarily in traffic (city commute) with the odd motorway run and I am averaging 30-35mpg which I think is pretty good (I normally drive in comfort mode and turn start-stop off). I've put a few hundred miles on the clock now so I may try sports/manual mode next time I get out of the city.

Apart from being an s-drive my spec sounds similar to that mentioned above, the UK spec includes Leather, Pro navi, heated front seats, interior lighting etc. So I just added Running bars, reversing camera, third row seats, dark windows, sports steering wheel and aluminium trim (external).

The three month wait seemed like a lifetime but that is all forgotten now and so far I haven't regretted taking the sdrive either.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

MJF120, thanks for sharing this. 30-35 mpg should translate to some 8,5-9.0 l/100km. Not bad for a city commute even if on an sDrive.

As for volvo, did you look at the new VEA engine paired with new 8 speed gearbox? When they released 2WD version last autumn the fuel economy figures looked quite promising. Although I agree with BXdriver and do not expect the new Aisin gearbox of volvo to be quicker and smoother than ZF's used by BMW. BMW also drives better as you feel like a rear wheel drive even on an xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
BXdriver
Norway
Rep

Thanks MJF120 for your hands-on experience

In Norway, the xDrive version is kind of must have. Not that its needed 90% of the year - but suddenly and without warning - if I am to pass some of our mountains, the roads may be snowy and tricky even in summer and the xDrive is good to have. I am also used to drive 4WD cars for many years.

Another thing is the resale "thing". A car like this would be VERY much harder to sell with sDrive in Norway, so I am sure the xDrive is a "win" measured in both monnies and usability in the longer run.

Apart from that - I wish I could have choosen the sDrive, but I live in the wrong Country

Best
B

Last edited by BXdriver; 04-28-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #32
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
In Sweden they don't even offer the sDrive model because it would be so hard to sell in three years time. I don't even think we have the x3 sDrive
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
MJF120
Private
Rep

I fully appreciate the need for xdrive in some countries and even in parts of the UK it would definitely be sensible. I think the sdrive mainly sells in Australia and south Africa (25d) and in the US (southern states) for the 3L.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #34
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Exactly same process as BXDrive, but went for sdrive n belgium mainly because IFeel no need for the xdrive (though current car is Q5 quattro) and it's cheaper on taxes so could order more options. More or less same buld too.
Never drove 25d, ordered it on paper. But am happy to see the positive feedback.
Single drawback : ordered March 3rd. Delivery early January 2015 ! Already two months went by waiting, only eight more to go ...
Think I'll ask my dealer for gettingto drive his showroom model some week-end, to make the long wait a little more pleasing.

Good luck to all of you happy drivers !
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #35
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria View Post
Think I'll ask my dealer for gettingto drive his showroom model some week-end, to make the long wait a little more pleasing.
Funny as it may seem it actually works. I did exactly so - asked for a test drive on x25d two months after I ordered it. Since my experience was very positive it gave me some good vibes that eased the pain of waiting .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #36
BXdriver
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Exactly same process as BXDrive, but went for sdrive n belgium mainly because IFeel no need for the xdrive (though current car is Q5 quattro) and it's cheaper on taxes so could order more options. More or less same buld too.
Never drove 25d, ordered it on paper. But am happy to see the positive feedback.
Single drawback : ordered March 3rd. Delivery early January 2015 ! Already two months went by waiting, only eight more to go ...

Good luck to all of you happy drivers !
Hi there,

Hope you get to drive the car soon - in some way. Hopefully the dealer can support you!!
I remember - some years ago - b4 we got the XC60, we were thinking about the then new X3. Then the seller told us that waiting time would be about 12 Months. Yes - a Year. Sorry BMW...too long and no contract from us at than time. I just do not have the patience to wait so long

Best
B
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #37
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Hello to all 25d drivers out there. Thought I pick up this thread again.

I've been waiting nearly three months now since ordering, still eight more to go till delivery in January 2015

Any updates you might want to give on ride quality and realistic fuel consumption figures now some cars have probably some miles behind the wheels.

Cheers,
Alain
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
MJF120
Private
Rep

I took delivery 2 months ago and have put about 1500 miles on the clock.

I do a fair bit off city driving and I'm finding on my 4 mile commute to work, with an average speed of about 10 mph or less I can get about 25mpg+. On motorway runs with 4 people in the car it nudges 40mpg but slips back to high 30's once you compete the non-motorway stretch at either end of the journey. I drive in comfort mode with start/stop switched off.

I suspect in eco pro mode, with just a driver in the car and at 50mph you may nudge into the high 40's but I haven't tried that.

Sports mode is fun, manual shifting seems pointless and eco pro mode is dull, IMHO.

Overall I think those figures are inline with my expectations. I think for my city commute the 25d is the perfect engine because in start stop traffic you don't need power and you're using neither of the turbos so it's efficient. I think if you're out on open roads you push the engine a lot more and in those circumstances I suspect the 3.0 would be as efficient.

Regarding ride quality, I'm on standard suspension although I think the 3rd row seating adds rear air suspension (don't know how to tell if I actually have this!?) and I think it's fine. In the city it eats up the bumps although you can't fling it over speed bumps like I could my E61 (it gets a bit bouncy). Out of the city it's very comfortable. If I'd wanted sporty I'd have paid for some suspension upgrades but for me the car is about keeping me happy whilst accommodating the wife, kids and and all their associated junk.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Mjf120,
Thanks for the feedback. Think we have same driver profiles and expectations.

Good to hear you're still satisfied with the engine choice. Off course, if there were no financial constraints, we'd all love the M50d or the 50i. However, we're not all that lucky (especially in Europe with the higher lease prices and taxation).

I too did not opt for any suspension upgrade, neither third row seats. So standard suspension on upgraded 19" rims. I'm thinking of replacing the non runflats by standard tyres at delivery. However, i did not opt for the spare wheel, which may be an issue, even if i have only had two flat tyres in 25 years of driving. i prefer the extra luggage capacity instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #40
BXdriver
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Mjf120,
I too did not opt for any suspension upgrade, neither third row seats. So standard suspension on upgraded 19" rims. I'm thinking of replacing the non runflats by standard tyres at delivery. However, i did not opt for the spare wheel, which may be an issue, even if i have only had two flat tyres in 25 years of driving. i prefer the extra luggage capacity instead.
Dear,

You are not alone :-)
19" and std. suspension, yes that's me too.
So, lets see. No way back now, just wait and see what we get - if this "thing" is drivable or not

Cheers
Bent
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #41
MJF120
Private
Rep

Which 19" wheels did you both go for?

I'm on the standard 18's because my wife and I disagreed so much on which 19's to pick and we realised we both didn't mind the standard 18's.

On the up side, with the 18's there is so much rubber I think the wife will find it virtually impossible to kerb the alloys (although I bet she'll give it a good go).

Why are you thinking of ditching the run flats? I've been driving on them for 8 years now and whilst I've only once had a puncture it was very handy to commute as normal for a couple of days before getting the tyre swapped at the weekend. I couldn't even tell which tyre was flat without manually checking the pressures - but it was a much lighter car at the time (1 series).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #42
BXdriver
Norway
Rep

MJF120

In my case, the "advantage package", available included 19" BMW 450 rims.
My personal feel was that this would be a nice compromise between the std 18" and all the fancy 20-22" inch rims which cost a fortune and probably are on the hard side anyway.

I am currently looking around for some good winter tires (yes, we need them to stay safe here in Norway), and then I am considering 18" inch rims.
Not decided yet. Luckily - it IS still only the beginning of summer here :-)

For me, I would be happy with either run flats or std. rubber. Run flats just got that extra safety which is a good feeling, but will of course be a bit more expensive.

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #43
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

MJF120,

I went for the 449 rims. My decision to replace the RF is because of all the negative comments I have read about these tyres on here and elsewhere on other boards, after discussing with the manager of the tyre service center I've known for years and two technicians at the BMW dealership.

They all confirmed me that RF offer a harder ride, are more noisy and have to be replaced a lot sooner. Add to that their higher cost (switching back to std tyres reduced my lease price with 1000 euro on a 60 month lease - 15.000 km per year). That, plus the fact that I have std suspension and no fancy suspension options that might compensate in a way.

I've only driven the X5 twice (a 30D both times for a half an hour or so) and thought indeed that they were rather hard and noisy. Maybe just my imagination and after switching I'll notice it's the same ride with the non RF ?

Don't know ... It's one of two decisions left. I'm also very torn on color, both interior and exterior. Not on the mood for black / black, like the sparkling brown / beige combination but never seen the combination. Wife does not love light interiors as it will get dirty and I don't clean my car every week

Still some months left though before I have to make the final call ...

Cheers,
Alain
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #44
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Looks like we all ordered pretty much similar cars (no surprise, though, since it's 25d club). As for the tyres I am all for runflats. Test drove two x5 for some two hours each, one without the other with runflats (these were 20"). Had to get off to look and make sure the other one wore runflats indeed, felt not much difference. Maybe I am undemanding. For winter I will also get 19" runflats. I will be driving skiing in the Alps so each cubic inch of space in the trunk will be precious. More importantly, though, I will like the comfort of not having to put on the spare in a freezeing cold.
Appreciate 0