BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-23-2024, 04:44 PM   #1
c00lbeansdude
Rep
Drives: x5

40e trans slipping in 1st when cold after fluid change.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I changed the filter and fluid in my 17 x5 40e. Now in the morning when it’s cold the car now revs to about 3k rpm when starting from a stop before the clutch(hybrid so pretty sure it has clutch not a TC) fully engages and the car moves. When the electric motor is running it does not do this.

My assumption is the fluid got to warm/expanded when I filled it and the level is too low when it’s cold.? Fluid was about 52-53 C. When I finally got it full. Had a small slow pump. Reved to 2k for 30 seconds and put in D R N M1M2 before topping off.

Any input on low fluid symptoms with this trans or other problems it could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:14 PM   #2
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

Did you fill it, run engine and fill it while running and then let it drip out any excess through fill hole while running and up to 50C/125F?
You are describing 8HP70/75 when fluid is low. Reverse will be more or less normal and forward will slip and jump into engagement.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:45 PM   #3
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep

Did you top off while engine was running?
Being a little low, won't matter. The suction pipe is at the bottom of the pan, so fluid has to be really low, to suck up air.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:48 PM   #4
c00lbeansdude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitedcboy View Post
Did you fill it, run engine and fill it while running and then let it drip out any excess through fill hole while running and up to 50C/125F?
You are describing 8HP70/75 when fluid is low. Reverse will be more or less normal and forward will slip and jump into engagement.
Yes I believe my car has the 8HP75x. I filled about 4-4.5qt cold. Closed fill plug. Warmed car to 35C. Then reved to 2k for 30s in park. Then put in RNDm1m2 for 10s each. Was at 40c after this and opened the plug and filled another 2qt till it dripped out and plugged. Car was at about 53 C when I plugged it.

I also repeated this last night starting at 39c and got another 250-300ml in before it was leaking and was up to 43C.

Only areas of concern might be that I forgot to shake the bottles for the first 5 Qts. The car was also sitting on wood blocks and the rear jack points sit about .5-.7 inches higher than the front jack point. So the rear of the transmission was slightly higher than the front compared to an X5 having this done on a lift. I would think this would cause it to be slightly overfilled. There is also no torque converter due to the electric motor so the revving to 2K for 30 seconds might not be necessary, although I don’t think it would cause it to push oil into the sump and cause a low fill. I could only find the fill procedure for the standard eight HP transmissions.

Could it be an adaptations issue that will resolve itself after a couple hundred miles of driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:49 PM   #5
c00lbeansdude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Did you top off while engine was running?
Being a little low, won't matter. The suction pipe is at the bottom of the pan, so fluid has to be really low, to suck up air.
Yes. Twice just to make sure. I put more details in another reply.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #6
PGH_X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50i M Sport

I was thinking maybe adaptions complicated by hybrid system? Sounds like you have enough fluid in.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:14 AM   #7
c00lbeansdude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH_X5 View Post
I was thinking maybe adaptions complicated by hybrid system? Sounds like you have enough fluid in.
Triple checked the fluid. It’s def full. Only things I can think of are I cut/ smashed One of the O-rings for the two filter ports. I believe one connects to a mechanical oil pump and the other connects to an electrical oil pump that runs the hybrid system.

There is also a “reset k0 clutch adaptations” option in ISTA. The K0 clutch is what Connects and disconnects the ICE and that’s the clutch that’s slipping when cold.
Appreciate 0