BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Michelin Premier LTX - Review

I had a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires installed this week, 255x50/R19. First impressions after about 50 miles...

Noise Reduction - Marginal on our local Portland/Vancouver freeways which are worn rough. Its a noticeable reduction but not magical. To be fair I'm not sure any tire is going to be quiet on these surfaces.

Ride Quality - Compared to the factory Pirelli RFT's its a big improvement. Its like putting a 1/2 of foam over patched potholes, pavement seams, vs the harsh ride of the RFT's. Transmitted vibration into the interior is much reduced, the 4-5 areas of interior buzzing quieted down significantly. On normal to smooth pavement the ride is softer, tires feel more grippy.

Cornering - Softer in corners but no under steer, it feels planted. Body roll is increased however.

Wandering Twitchy Steering - Toned down quite a bit vs the twitchy steering with the Pirelli RFT's. Feels heavier where the Pirelli RTF steering felt really light and touchy.

Overall worth the money to upgrade for me. I had hoped for greater noise reduction but apparently the X5 is just noisy, they need some more sound proofing imo.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....160718083118:s
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Your roads must be worse than mine. I agree with everything you said, but I find the LTX's a good deal quieter over the Pirelli's, especially since the Pirelli howl is now gone. Although I do wish they were quieter, my GMC 2500 with LTX AT2's are quieter than the LTX's on the X5, on the same roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Did you sell your Pirelli RFT's? Mine have 2,900 miles on them, thinking about throwing them on craigslist as I'll never go back to RFT's these Michelin Premier LTX tires are so much more comfortable. The X5 rides more like what I would expect an SUV of this price to ride. I put another 100 miles on them yesterday, loving it! Steering improvement confirmed, I can now cruise down the highway with one hand on the wheel vs constantly having to steer the RFT's with both hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
Did you sell your Pirelli RFT's? Mine have 2,900 miles on them, thinking about throwing them on craigslist as I'll never go back to RFT's
Mine have 10K on them, I am going to try to sell them but I don't have time to deal with selling them now. I agree with you, I'm not going back to the RFT's after trying the LTX's.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Do the look as wide as the OEM's?
Appreciate 0