BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

I've been reading up on lowering an E70 X5M with springs. From my research people say that the ride is excessive bumpy if your rear end links are set too low. Try raising up and adjusting your rear end links. That might help a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #24
///MLOVER
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWX5 View Post
I've been reading up on lowering an E70 X5M with springs. From my research people say that the ride is excessive bumpy if your rear end links are set too low. Try raising up and adjusting your rear end links. That might help a bit.
Hey thanks for they reply. Is this something I could do myself with a jack and some tools? I'm pretty good with cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #25
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MLOVER View Post
Hey thanks for they reply. Is this something I could do myself with a jack and some tools? I'm pretty good with cars.
In that case this would be child's play to you. Incidentally I have the H&R lowering spring kit on my old 2005 BMW X5 4.4 sports. The kit is of the same concept as for the F85 - lowering springs in the front and self-leveling rods in the rear since the car has air-springs in the rear. You would need a 10mm wrench to undo the nuts and an 8mm thin wrench to counter hold at the back of the self-leveling rod, otherwise the nut just spins without undoing. Remove the self-leveling rod, adjust them and reinstall. They just need to be snag so don't apply muscle when tightening them. As for me I don't even need to lift the vehicle since I can slide underneath it with enough room to work.

I find the H&R springs on the old generation X5 pretty good- car rides slightly firmer than stock and with very little body roll. The self-leveling rods are at their lowest setting but I also installed new air-springs in the rear and new Bilstein shocks all round. The ride is comfortable and at par with stock.

Last edited by musa; 03-24-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 2