BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Jiyar
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 2013 28i

Auto start stop function

Hello guys , I've recently bought a X5 35i x drive , and its 1000 km so far , I noticed the auto start stop function seldom working , my pervious X3 was always turning off even in short stops ,
So its normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Depends on what MODE you are in. In ECO PRO it is always on. In COMFORT it should be on. It kicks in if you are idle for longer than 3-4 seconds. In SPORT mode, it is always off to avoid throttle lag of any kind.
      06-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I've found that it doesn't always kick in in hot weather in comfort mode until the cabin temp has reached the desired setting. As mentioned, it always seems to turn off at stops in Eco-pro.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
There are any factors which the auto stop/start feature will not engage. Some of the factors is: engine operating temp, outside temp, battery condition(charge level), electrical draw(AC on defrosters on) performance mode. I am sure there are other factors but these are the ones that I experience in my M3 stop/start when I had it on

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
GeloCH
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport, Space Grey

As a side question, are there any disadvantages with using the start/stop? does it cause more wear and tear on the starting motor and or battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

I do not use ASS, as I believe the starter may need replacement sooner. Dealer said the starter is heavy duty to accommodate ASS, yet the manual still warns you. Factors or costs to consider: gas, starter, environment. I did see many taxi's in Munchen use ASS.

Owners manual manual p.67
Certain vehicle components may experience
additional wear as a result of this system.

The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
▷ External temperature too low.
▷ The external temperature is high and automatic
climate control is running.
▷ The passenger compartment has not yet
been heated or cooled to the required
level.
▷ The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
▷ The wheels are at a sharp angle or the
steering wheel is being turned.
▷ After driving in reverse.
▷ Fogging of the windows when the automatic
climate control is switched on.
▷ Vehicle battery is heavily discharged.
▷ The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
▷ HDC Hill Descent Control is activated.
▷ The parking assistant is activated.
▷ Stop-and-go traffic.
▷ The transmission selector lever is in position
N or M/S.
▷ Use of fuel with high ethanol content.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
I do not use ASS, as I believe the starter may need replacement sooner. Dealer said the starter is heavy duty to accommodate ASS, yet the manual still warns you. Factors or costs to consider: gas, starter, environment. I did see many taxi's in Munchen use ASS.

Owners manual manual p.67
Certain vehicle components may experience
additional wear as a result of this system.

The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
▷ External temperature too low.
▷ The external temperature is high and automatic
climate control is running.
▷ The passenger compartment has not yet
been heated or cooled to the required
level.
▷ The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
▷ The wheels are at a sharp angle or the
steering wheel is being turned.
▷ After driving in reverse.
▷ Fogging of the windows when the automatic
climate control is switched on.
▷ Vehicle battery is heavily discharged.
▷ The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
▷ HDC Hill Descent Control is activated.
▷ The parking assistant is activated.
▷ Stop-and-go traffic.
▷ The transmission selector lever is in position
N or M/S.
▷ Use of fuel with high ethanol content.
Solid post, @barcelona! I also don't use the ASS feature because of these very reasons, and because I don't like lag period (internet or cars ).
      06-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeloCH View Post
As a side question, are there any disadvantages with using the start/stop? does it cause more wear and tear on the starting motor and or battery?
It will most definitely cause more wear/tear on the engine etc. I think that it is also mentioned in the owners manual.

One should remember that the start/stop functionality is a system fleet wide trick to get emissions down. This system thinking approach does in my humble opinion not add any personal value to the individual owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Jiyar
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 2013 28i

Thanks guys for replay , here in Iraq temps are mostly at 40C and automatic AC always on , plus our fuel octane is less than 90 , all this may lead to ASS to not work .
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Its quite possibly the worst feature of this car. When the system is on, and you come to a stop in traffic, all the lubricating oil drains from the cam lobes causing increased wear, the oil pressure feeding the main bearings drops to zero and allows metal to metal contact (on every start this happens, and slightly adds to engine wear on each start), allows the engine to heat up further (oil and water cool the internal engine parts) and increases the duty cycles to the starter by a factor of X (for most of us, maybe a factor of 10 at least in medium traffic conditions). I think the motors with turbos still have the cooling pump on as normal, otherwise oil would heat up and burn (coke) around the bearing and cut the turbo bearing life in half.
      06-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Its quite possibly the worst feature of this car.
I'll just have to go there: it's definitely the worst feature of ANY car. Every bloody time I hear about some new tighter regulations with regards to CO2 and all that rubbish ECO-talks, I just open up good old George Carlin, may his soul RIP, "The Planet is Fine!" - and watch it for the XXth time...
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
all the lubricating oil drains from the cam lobes causing increased wear, the oil pressure feeding the main bearings drops to zero and allows metal to metal contact (on every start this happens, and slightly adds to engine wear on each start), allows the engine to heat up further (oil and water cool the internal engine parts) and increases the duty cycles to the starter by a factor of X (for most of us, maybe a factor of 10 at least in medium traffic conditions).
I think this is a bit over-stated. Yes, there's extra wear, no doubt. But all the engine oil doesn't instantaneosuly drain when the pump stops - it takes several minutes for oil film to dissipate. And since the oil is warm, pressure builds almost immediately when the engine restarts. As for extra wear on the starter motor - sure, but the engine is warm and well oiled (at least compared to a cold start) and the RPMs for restart are very low, so the work required from the starter motor is quite low. Generally electric motors fail due to a combination of age, corrosion, and the stress of having to do heavy work, not so much from duty cycles themselves. I would guess that the wear on the restart is probably 1/10 of cold start wear. You factor X is therefore more like 2 than 10. I owned my last two BMWs for 12 years and 11 years respectively, and never had to replace a starter motor even though they were daily drivers. So the trade off is the potential extra cost of a replacement starter motor that this vehicle may need that it otherwise wouldn't have, versus gas savings.

I will say that it takes getting used to. I find if I don't pay attention at the stop light and suddenly realize that the light has turned green and try to accelerate quickly it's a pain in the butt. The practice I've adopted is watch the lights, and when the cross-street's light turns yellow a slight lift of pressure from the brake pedal - not enough to cause the vehicle to roll forward - is enough to start the motor so that it's ready 3 seconds later when the light turns green. On the other hand my wife hates it and always turns the feature off.

Last edited by ChipB; 06-12-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
I think this is a bit over-stated. Yes, there's extra wear, no doubt. But all the engine oil doesn't instantaneosuly drain when the pump stops - it takes several minutes for oil film to dissipate. And since the oil is warm, pressure builds almost immediately when the engine restarts. As for extra wear on the starter motor - sure, but the engine is warm and well oiled (at least compared to a cold start) and the RPMs for restart are very low, so the work required from the starter motor is quite low. Generally electric motors fail due to a combination of age, corrosion, and the stress of having to do heavy work, not so much from duty cycles themselves. I would guess that the wear on the restart is probably 1/10 of cold start wear. You factor X is therefore more like 2 than 10. I owned my last two BMWs for 12 years and 11 years respectively, and never had to replace a starter motor even though they were daily drivers. So the trade off is the potential extra cost of a replacement starter motor that this vehicle may need that it otherwise wouldn't have, versus gas savings.

I will say that it takes getting used to. I find if I don't pay attention at the stop light and suddenly realize that the light has turned green and try to accelerate quickly it's a pain in the butt. The practice I've adopted is watch the lights, and when the cross-street's light turns yellow a slight lift of pressure from the brake pedal - not enough to cause the vehicle to roll forward - is enough to start the motor so that it's ready 3 seconds later when the light turns green. On the other hand my wife hates it and always turns the feature off.
If you don't like it why not just turn it off? Undoubtedly it is there so the 'tests' for MPG & CO2 shows a higher MPG and a lower CO2 figure. The plug in hybrid X5 should be interesting next year with instant torque from the electric motor so no lag at take off.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

This is where coding is great . I have it off in Comfort mode by default.
      08-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
Curamrda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13

yes yes.. its best to turn it off as Default >

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=66
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

I have it coded "off" default on both my cars.

1. If I want a car that turns itself off at stop lights, I'll buy a Prius or Tesla
2. If you're worried about fuel economy, you have the wrong car

My 2c
      08-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

My service adviser said that it will not work when it's hotter than 98 degrees outside.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Who buys a $60,000 plus car and worries about the minuscule gas saving when stopped at a light?

And how dumb was the buttons design to have an orange light "on" when the feature is "off" and visa versa
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Who buys a $60,000 plus car and worries about the minuscule gas saving when stopped at a light?

And how dumb was the buttons design to have an orange light "on" when the feature is "off" and visa versa
Environmentalists who can't let go of BMW.
Eventually think about all cars having this function, all cars stopping at the same time on all red lights, I am not a scientist, but I am sure that would make a difference on pollution/emissions, and the gas savings returning in less gasoline usage.
      08-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #20
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Environmentalists who can't let go of BMW.
Eventually think about all cars having this function, all cars stopping at the same time on all red lights, I am not a scientist, but I am sure that would make a difference on pollution/emissions, and the gas savings returning in less gasoline usage.
My beef for 50 years has been towns that refuse to set their lights up in progressive linkage. Which means you stop at any of the early lights and then do the speed limit and cruise through most of the next upcoming 9 lights.

I can travel a 3 mile route to me daughters house and catch 10 lights along the way having to come to complete stop each time "and there is no cross traffic most of the time". But they can't install a sensor to keep light green, if no cross traffic.

But they can install money making red light cameras for millions. How much gas does that waste? How much asbestos brake dust has to be scattered into our air with each stop light?

Last edited by expidia; 09-01-2017 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Winn65.50
      08-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #21
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
My beef for 50 years has been towns that refuse to set their lights up in progressive linkage. Which means you stop at any of the early lights and then do the speed limit and cruise through most of the next upcoming 9 lights.

I can travel a 3 mile route to me daughters house and catch 10 lights along the way having to come to complete stop each time "and their is no cross traffic most of the time". But they can't install a sensor to keep light green, if no cross traffic.

But they can install money making red light cameras for millions. How much gas does that waste? How much asbestos brake dust has to be scattered into our air with each stop light?
Amen, brotha'
      08-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #22
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
I'll just have to go there: it's definitely the worst feature of ANY car. Every bloody time I hear about some new tighter regulations with regards to CO2 and all that rubbish ECO-talks, I just open up good old George Carlin, may his soul RIP, "The Planet is Fine!" - and watch it for the XXth time...
George Carlin was awesome....preach brother, preach.
Appreciate 0