BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
es1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Driver Assistance Package - can it break to a full stop

I am contemplating between X5 and MB GLE . I like X5 but my deciding factor is Driver Assistance Package. I like the fact that MB has that PRE-SAFE feature on all the time. It is ability to stop.brake the car for you in the case of emergency.
Is that feature is not available in X5? I do not think so. I think you must have ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant which is extra. Can someone confirm this please. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I have the same question. I don't have acc+ stop & go but when I pull up all the vehicle warning screens one of the options says warning if I am close including stopping the car.

So my assumption is I have it but this is one feature I don't want to test.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

With DAP and + the X5 has the ability to pre-brake and apply the brake for you ( only during low speeds ) and I haven't confirmed if it brakes for you to a complete stop. With ACC I believe it brakes for your to a stop and it works in all speeds.
      05-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

I was wondering this same thing yesterday as I wAs driving but didn't want to test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Yes, DAP+ with ACC with Stop&Go function has the ability to brake the BMW X5 to a standstill. Under some conditions, the auto braking may not avoid a collision.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...l_stop_go.html

"Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function was primarily developed for journeys on motorways and major roads. Three radar sensors with a range of up to 150 metres permanently scan the carriageway in the direction of travel. When you approach a vehicle in front, the engine management and brakes adjust your speed so that the distance is automatically kept constant – and if necessary, the vehicle comes to a standstill."

In the IIHS tests the BMW X5 equipped with DAP+ and ACC was rated Superior in crash avoidance. The X5 equipped with DAP+ and ACC nearly avoided a collision in the 25 mph test and avoided a collision in the 12 mph test. The X5 equipped with DAP+ but without ACC slowed in the IIHS tests but did not avoid a collision and is rated Advanced in crash avoidance.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...suv?print-view

IIHS has not tested the MB GLE with the full auto brake package.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...suv?print-view
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

I really wish there is a video that illustrates the demonstration with DAP and +.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Lots of info here:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=DAP
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
great info.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
great info.

Thanks,
Ignore most of the comments in the beginning of that thread.. lots of mis-information.

Without ACC and with DAP+ your car will still apply the brake on its own when it detects possible collision.. My car did it just yesterday when a moron cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes. My understanding is that this feature only works during low speeds.

Directly from BMW...
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

Driving Assistant.
The Driving Assistant package combines the camera-based systems Lane Departure Warning and approach control and person warning with light city braking function.
The Lane Departure Warning detects lane markings and alerts the driver to an unintentional lane change at speeds above approx. 70 km/h by means of vibrations in the steering wheel. The warning is not activated if the lane change is deliberate, that is, when the indicator has been activated.

Whereas the approach control warning with light city braking function detects vehicles, the person warning with light city braking function reacts to pedestrians. If a vehicle ahead brakes heavily, the BMW responds immediately when the approach control warning is activated. The system operates in steps. A warning symbol is first displayed, then the symbol begins flashing and an acoustic warning is emitted, and finally the brakes are lightly applied (when travelling at speeds under 60 km/h). The person warning operates at speeds between 10 and 60 km/h and emits a single-level warning in the event of acute danger. If the system warns of a potential collision, the brakes are simultaneously preconditioned for a faster response. In the event of an emergency, the system applies the brakes. This function can be limited by darkness and fog.
      05-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Ignore most of the comments in the beginning of that thread.. lots of mis-information.
[/B]
Kzang,

It is not clear to me whether my post was included in your reference to lots of mis-information. If so, I am not sure why you conclude that the IIHS test results and a direct quote from the BMW webpage constitute misinformation.

The IIHS test results referenced state that in a BMW X5 equipped with DA+ without ACC:
Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 9 mph.
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 7 mph.
The IIHS test results referenced state that in a BMW X5 equipped with DA+ with ACC:
Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle nearly avoided a collision.

The IIHS test suggests with DA+ without ACC brakes may be applied but the useful range and speed from which the car may be stopped are more limited than with ACC. In my opinion that is useful and relevant information.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Yeah I was referring to the comment about DAP+ not being able to brake as per my post...
      05-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Simple version:

Without ACC but with DA+you have "city" breaking (memory... Up to 30 mph) and pre collision brake priming (see the manual)

With ACC you have full braking up to a fairly high speed (circa 90mph if I recall correctly). You come to a complete stop (your question) with this option, not with other option/package combinations.

The PDF manuals show the detail.

Also search threads as this has been thoroughly covered.
      05-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Simple version:

Without ACC but with DA+you have "city" breaking (memory... Up to 30 mph) and pre collision brake priming (see the manual)

With ACC you have full braking up to a fairly high speed (circa 90mph if I recall correctly). You come to a complete stop (your question) with this option, not with other option/package combinations.

I assume with DA+ you can't code braking to be stronger or at higher speeds; you need ACC to have those features?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Simple version:

I assume with DA+ you can't code braking to be stronger or at higher speeds; you need ACC to have those features?
Correct. DA+ relies on KAFAS located above your rear view mirror. As it is camera based, it can only work at lower speeds. ACC is radar based, and the radar is located below the kidney grilles in the lower grille. The full-braking to a completely stop feature cannot be coded as upgrade to the features of the KAFAS system that comes with DA+.

Last edited by MattBianco; 05-17-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0