BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Cross shopping

Any one here cross shop a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE?? Opinions??
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Cross shop as in look at one prior to buying an X5? I did, but that was back in 2014. Was a nicely equipped HSE (non-supercharged). Price was around $95k if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

ALL L494/L405 are supercharged in the US the difference being six cylinder or eight cylinder and the options available at each trim level.

My opinion on the RR/RRS products is the the tech is quite dated and you will find the lag in the navigation and radio is quite annoying however if tech is not the selling point the quality of leather (compared to dakota), plastics, buttons, carpeting, mats, seat comfort are all levels above the X5. The RR/AB and Black options are just above and beyond what is offered in the segment and should be since the MSRP is double what an X5 would cost.

Looks are subjective to each individual but I believe the X5 looks better than the RRS but the full-fat RR looks better than the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by New21er View Post
Any one here cross shop a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE?? Opinions??
Prior to buying the X5 two weeks ago, I cross-shopped several vehicles, one of which being a Range Rover sport and a full size actually. There were few things that turned me off in the HSE model. One of them was the analog cluster which looked way too outdated in comparison to the supercharged models which come with the dynamics package as standard or our X5's. Another reason was the second row shoulder space was smaller than the X5. You should also take a close look at the infotainment system. I think Evoque and Discovery have the new system whereas the sport and the full size still have the slow ass system which is known to be very poorly designed. After taking all of those factors into account, the X5 seemed to be a better buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I am not sure if the Canadian market is different from the US but going back to the L322 (2010+) the Full Fat RR had TFT cluster and if I recall correctly it was the first in this segment to offer a fully digital TFT cluster with multi-function screens. The L494 RRS has an option for a 12.5" TFT cluster.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I am not sure if the Canadian market is different from the US but going back to the L322 (2010+) the Full Fat RR had TFT cluster and if I recall correctly it was the first in this segment to offer a fully digital TFT cluster with multi-function screens. The L494 RRS has an option for a 12.5" TFT cluster.
You are right as far as the full size Range Rover goes. However, if you are directly comparing the sport HSE to the X5, I feel the technology in the sport is outdated.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

they're outdated in both... only recently did LR add the HUD as an option. on top of it all it is old leftover jaguar tech which was outdated when it came out to begin with. the 2012+ had the same tech in it and all they changed was some glitches and newer firmware that has not sped up the functionality of it at all. the lag between menus and entering data is brutal. it is comparable to using a pc that is bogged down with malware and a trajillion services running in the background.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
they're outdated in both... only recently did LR add the HUD as an option. on top of it all it is old leftover jaguar tech which was outdated when it came out to begin with. the 2012+ had the same tech in it and all they changed was some glitches and newer firmware that has not sped up the functionality of it at all. the lag between menus and entering data is brutal. it is comparable to using a pc that is bogged down with malware and a trajillion services running in the background.
Agreed.
I hear that they replacing the current system with something called "InControl" in MY17 models and beyond which I hear is 1000 times better with improved cameras for 360 view. I hate how they have junction view and kerb view for off-roading.
There are many upsides to the Sport though. They offer ventilated seats as standard, Meridian for speakers, refrigerated compartment in the middle, park assist for both parallel and perpendicular parking, air ride suspension, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the comments folks. When (sort of) equally equipped the price is pretty close. I'm interested in the diesel engine in either vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
I crossed shopped the two. I liked the styling of the rover more but I felt the BMW drove slightly better. With the x5 there is quite a bit wiggle room in pricing. I got 10% off sticker and that seems to be the norm around this forum. The deals on the sport just we're not there and at the end of the day a similarly equipped car was about 10k more. The rover is a beautiful car but I just couldn't justify the premium over the BMW

Ultimately both are great trucks and you can't go wrong with either
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
I hear that they replacing the current system with something called "InControl" in MY17 models and beyond which I hear is 1000 times better with improved cameras for 360 view.
from what i understand the "incontrol" feature is a suite of "apps" that just give you mobility and control from your mobile phone. i am not familiar with an updated system for the coming years in the RR/RRS but i do know the evoque is getting a bunch of upgrades and options for the ROW market but not sure if that is coming this way for the NAR market. educated guess is that LR is going to bake a lot of the new gizmos and gadgets into a face lift or new platform with a price increase for the RR. i can't imagine them doing substantial changes to the platform with minimal change in pricing for the current RR but they did do that in the past for the RRS when they revamped it in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

We picked up a 2016 Range Rover TD6 (diesel) about 7 months ago for my wife...I was considering a sport for myself as I have owned 2 Sports in the past and loved them both.

The full size cannot be compared to the X5 in any shape, way or form. The Full size really is in a league of its own when it comes to Luxury SUV (for now anyways). However, the Sport can be compared directly to the X5. The X5 has the better tech no doubt, I haven't got my X5 yet but I have driven it a few times and from my test driving experiences, the X5 drives a bit more sporty in comparision to the Sport.

There is something to be said about the seating position in both the Range Rover Sport and the Range Rover (full size). I have not driven a car that gives you the feeling a Range Rover will give you, its not something I can explain, its either you get it or you don't.

2016 was the introduction of the diesel for both the RR and RR Sport. 2016 was also the first year with the updated cameras (much, much clearer and better quality cameras all around), they also introduced heads up display which to be honest already needs an update. It doesn't show as much info as the BMW's, (no phone or radio info), just speed, cruise control and navigation if its on.

Overall, the Range Rover in my opinion is a better looking car. Even after owning 2 in the past, and currently owning one. I still take a second look at a good looking Range Rover (Autobiography, or any with the proper 22" wheel set up that the car needs so badly). Here is a pic of my wife's Rover.
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black

Last edited by SlammedR8; 05-18-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

the unfortunate thing about the RRS is the liberal use of the word "sport"... it isn't very sporting. the V8 SC version is quick but it cannot take the twisties like an X5. it lists like a sailboat. the body roll is wild considering how much hp they put into the vehicle but did not pair with a suspension system that could handle it. i also believe the narrow tires have a bit of issue as well but from the LR design lab they stay within those specs because they want to retain the offroad capability and winter drivability.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

We shopped the RRS prior to the X5. We were pleasantly surprised with the interior of the RRS. The RRS drives a lot bigger than the X5, which my wife wasn't a fan of. We opted for the X5 because we felt we got more value.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know this is petty, but I don't like the Navi screen in the X5. It looks like an after thought to me. I like the screen in the RR. I don't use the Navi to much. Turn on Sirius and away I/we go. I lean more towards the X5 tho. Like Greyblack said more bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
ALL L494/L405 are supercharged in the US the difference being six cylinder or eight cylinder and the options available at each trim level.

My opinion on the RR/RRS products is the the tech is quite dated and you will find the lag in the navigation and radio is quite annoying however if tech is not the selling point the quality of leather (compared to dakota), plastics, buttons, carpeting, mats, seat comfort are all levels above the X5. The RR/AB and Black options are just above and beyond what is offered in the segment and should be since the MSRP is double what an X5 would cost.

Looks are subjective to each individual but I believe the X5 looks better than the RRS but the full-fat RR looks better than the X5.
this is very accurate. Have both the RR-Sport HST and X5 50i. The RR's interior is levels above the X5 like mentioned - but the tech, surprisingly is ahead on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I had cross shopped GLE550, Cayenne GTS, Range Rover Sport SC, [old] Q7, X5, X6. In the end I chose X5 or X6, got better deals on the X5. Couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0