BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
It was an actual fault code. They had to replace the pressure switch in the fuel tank. They said that the fuel tank wasn't pressurizing completely and it wasn't the fuel cap.

I didn't even think to scan it for myself first. I usually use my bluetooth obd2 dongle and the Torque app running on a tablet to read and clear codes for my vehicles. ISTA+ looks a lot more robust. I'll have to look into it later.

And a little update on the whole lip situation. The OEM lip for the non M-Sport bumper is $1,500!!! That's before shipping or anything. I told my friend to buy one, make a mold and we'll make a killing at selling a replica lip for $500 a pop... To all 3 people in the US who wants one!
Yes, ISTA+ is dealership software that I use and is both easy to navigate and more robust.

Sounds like a plan. Fabricate lips for others to finance your own and any other future mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Just dropped the X5 off to get the roof wrapped and found that someone keyed the fender!!! It's deep too, and went past the primer!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #25
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Just dropped the X5 off to get the roof wrapped and found that someone keyed the fender!!! It's deep too, and went past the primer!!!
that sucks!... post pics of the mods on the x5!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
that sucks!... post pics of the mods on the x5!
Here's a quick iPhone shot at the shop where she got wrapped along with the scratch we found. (scratch is confirmed to have happened last week since the BMW work order when she went in the dealership didn't note the scratch)

Gloss black roof
Gloss black mirrors
Satin black window trims

Wheels are inbound this week so if the weather is good, a proper shoot will be in order soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907423.50
      01-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #28
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907423.50
      01-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #30
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Here's a sneak peak... Now the real question will be how much these stick out past the fenders when they're installed.

Are the fenders wider on the X6? They don't appear to have the fender flares like the M Sport packaged X5s and I've seen several X6s running 22s without the fender flares.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907423.50
      01-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

I doubt your local police have time to take notice on your 22s. CHP is a different story though. Just make sure you watch your 6 when driving in the rain cuz they will definitely notice the splash your vehicle is generating.

I just changed my fender flares (DIY project) and got them painted by a local BMW collision center. They did an amazing job at matching the paint. You might want to considering buying the extended flare to avoid the hassle of being stopped or ticketed.

BTW, very nice mods. How are you (I mean the Mrs.) liking the truck? LoL
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #32
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
I doubt your local police have time to take notice on your 22s. CHP is a different story though. Just make sure you watch your 6 when driving in the rain cuz they will definitely notice the splash your vehicle is generating.

I just changed my fender flares (DIY project) and got them painted by a local BMW collision center. They did an amazing job at matching the paint. You might want to considering buying the extended flare to avoid the hassle of being stopped or ticketed.

I'm not really worried about the legality of it sticking out vs. more so of the overall aesthetics once it's on. I've seen pics of 21s/22s sticking out past the fender but I just don't know how it'll look to me in person once they're mounted. I'm just not quite sold on the whole "stance" look for the X5 haha. That plus I have friends in law enforcement who can help with the occasional fixit tickets.

Good call on the BMW Collision center. I reached out to my regular bodyshop contact for the final pieces of the aesthetics mods once I figure out exactly what else needs to be done. The extended fender flares was one of the TBD that I would need figured out before sending the X5 into the body shop. However with all this Southern California rain, I may postpone the bodywork stuff until the weather clears up in a couple of months. I just don't know how the east coast guys deal with snow since anything below 70degrees is considered freezing to me. LOL

And thanks for the compliments. The wife is loving it. It's her first "nice car". It's been a lot of fun researching other builds for the X5 and having the opportunity to put my own stamp on it. MPPK is definitely now on MY want list hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #33
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

I hope your buddies work for CHP. They are a different breed of LEO ask any of em. Lol.

We're getting drenched with rain up here too and +1 million on the snow/east coast comment. I dunno how these guys do it. Having two set of wheels, adding time to your day for digging your car out of the snow, etc. At least they don't have to deal with water shortage or your water police neighbor calling Code enforcement for washing your car during a drought!

PM me when you are ready for the MPPK, I got a great deal from a SoCal BMW dealer for it including install.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #34
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Consider your rear inner quarter panel and cars behind you that will get a lot of of road debris kicked back. This is already an issue even with the fenders but I can't imagine how it will be without them.

01-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #35
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
I hope your buddies work for CHP. They are a different breed of LEO ask any of em. Lol.

We're getting drenched with rain up here too and +1 million on the snow/east coast comment. I dunno how these guys do it. Having two set of wheels, adding time to your day for digging your car out of the snow, etc. At least they don't have to deal with water shortage or your water police neighbor calling Code enforcement for washing your car during a drought!

PM me when you are ready for the MPPK, I got a great deal from a SoCal BMW dealer for it including install.
One is a CHP and patrols the peninsula in the Bay Area (I'm originally from San Jose). He's signed a couple of my fixit tickets (no front plates) but is also the same guy who will give you the same ticket for no front plates or window tint i he sees you doing something stupid on 280 or 101!

Thanks! I'll definitely give you a shout when the time comes for MPPK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Consider your rear inner quarter panel and cars behind you that will get a lot of of road debris kicked back. This is already an issue even with the fenders but I can't imagine how it will be without them.
I wonder if the mud guards would help out with that but I don't think I've seen mud guards available for the extended flares?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #36
mpack79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:

Which finder flares did you install? I am looking to add some.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #37
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

@mpack79

I installed the OEM 19' fender flare. I ordered them from one of the sponsors here. Your truck should have one installed already unless you are looking at "adding" the side fender "trim" like the ones on the X5Ms. They are two different parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #38
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Neuera09

Are there aftermarket fender flares that stick out more than OEM? I could have sworn I've seen pics where the flares stick out way more than OEM and are beefier overall.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #39
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor
Neuera09

Are there aftermarket fender flares that stick out more than OEM? I could have sworn I've seen pics where the flares stick out way more than OEM and are beefier overall.
There are 3 OEM fender flares. 1) The black unpainted fenders for the xline series and both comes in for 19 or 21 inch wheels, 2) the painted flares for 18-19 inch wheels, and 3) extended painted flares for 20-21 inch wheels.

I'm sure the Chinese versions (plastic or CF) on Ebay is just the same exact mold of the extended OEM ones.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #40
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
There are 3 OEM fender flares. 1) The black unpainted fenders for the xline series and both comes in for 19 or 21 inch wheels, 2) the painted flares for 18-19 inch wheels, and 3) extended painted flares for 20-21 inch wheels.

I'm sure the Chinese versions (plastic or CF) on Ebay is just the same exact mold of the extended OEM ones.
So just for my own reference here:

1 - Unpainted that is flush with the fender
2 - Painted that is flush with the fender
3 - Painted/Unpainted that is extended past the fender (what everyone with an M-Sport has)

Or are you saying 2 and 3 are both extended past the fender but 3 sticks out more? If so that would explain why it looks like some of the pics I've seen looks like the fender flare is beefier.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #41
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

1) Xline Series have both the flush and extended BUT only in black (unpainted) plastic fenders;
2) Luxury line have both the flush and extended BUT painted plastic fenders
3) MSport - has the same part number as the extended fenders on #2 so it should be the same dimension.

Quote:
So just for my own reference here:

1 - Unpainted that is flush with the fender
2 - Painted that is flush with the fender
3 - Painted/Unpainted that is extended past the fender (what everyone with an M-Sport has)

Or are you saying 2 and 3 are both extended past the fender but 3 sticks out more? If so that would explain why it looks like some of the pics I've seen looks like the fender flare is beefier.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Good news: The 22" 599M Replica wheels are installed!
Bad news: TPM Malfunction

I spent part of my Saturday installing the wheels and first thing that was apparent were that the lugs were way overtightened as expected. Secondarily, the hubs had seized/rusted onto the factory wheels. Living in California, I did not expect that amount of rust on there. I had to kick the wheels off with a good amount of force to free them from the hubs.

After getting the wheels on and torquing them down I went on my first quick test drive to reset the TPMS sensors. I knew something was wrong immediately as the sensors stayed at 0% for the first mile. I pulled over, reset again. Drove a few more miles. 0%. Pulled over, reset again and went on the freeway. 0%. After several miles of driving and doing the same thing I eventually got the TPM Malfunction error on the screen. Did some searching and it looks like some have recommended to drive it around 50miles or so to see if it will recognize. I didn't have time to do that yesterday or today but will try again. The seller I bought the wheels from had the TPMS pre-installed so I couldn't verify which model was in there but he told me "TPMS S155/36106856209/SE52056/RDE027" were what was installed before it shipped and were supposed to be the OEM sensors from BMW. I have an email out to them now but we'll see how it goes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907423.50
      01-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #43
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
looks great!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #44
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Good news: The 22" 599M Replica wheels are installed!
Bad news: TPM Malfunction

I spent part of my Saturday installing the wheels and first thing that was apparent were that the lugs were way overtightened as expected. Secondarily, the hubs had seized/rusted onto the factory wheels. Living in California, I did not expect that amount of rust on there. I had to kick the wheels off with a good amount of force to free them from the hubs.

After getting the wheels on and torquing them down I went on my first quick test drive to reset the TPMS sensors. I knew something was wrong immediately as the sensors stayed at 0% for the first mile. I pulled over, reset again. Drove a few more miles. 0%. Pulled over, reset again and went on the freeway. 0%. After several miles of driving and doing the same thing I eventually got the TPM Malfunction error on the screen. Did some searching and it looks like some have recommended to drive it around 50miles or so to see if it will recognize. I didn't have time to do that yesterday or today but will try again. The seller I bought the wheels from had the TPMS pre-installed so I couldn't verify which model was in there but he told me "TPMS S155/36106856209/SE52056/RDE027" were what was installed before it shipped and were supposed to be the OEM sensors from BMW. I have an email out to them now but we'll see how it goes.
FourDoor Man that looks sick. I have the exact same car (except with stock 18" wheels which I will be changing shortly and the factory window trim which I am looking to get coated in gloss black.

What did you end up doing for the window trim? Wrap? Paint?

Do you plan on doing anything with those silver plastic trim pieces on either side of the front bumper? Mine are the same silver plastic too and I can't stand them so I'm looking to cover them in black gloss too...just haven't been able to find a good way to do it.
Appreciate 0