BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

M Adaptive VS Comfort Adaptive Suspension

Does anyone know what the difference is between these suspensions?

The 40e with M sport doesn't have the M adaptive and in place has the Comfort Adaptive. What's the difference between them? Are the parts the same and the tuning is different?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I can't seem to find anywhere what the differences are. My Sales Rep said the hardware is the same but the Comfort Adaptive suspension does not get firm in Sport mode, unlike the M adaptive that has both comfort and sport settings.

Does this sound right? If so, can the Comfort suspension be a coded to be like M suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If I had to guess, the comfort adaptive is geared more for well... comfort and not "sporty"
suspension which sort of makes sense with a electric / hybrid 40e.
      05-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I'm very unclear on this too. None of the BMW marketing materials give a satisfactory level of detail to help the buyer.

The parts are the same if you look on real oem. So I suspect the only difference is that Comfort Adaptive doesn't have a 'sport' damping mode whereas I know the M Sport Adaptive has both sport and comfort modes.

The treatment of the X5 in regards to this option if different from all other BMW ranges where Adaptive suspension gives the same program modes regardless of the trim / line of the vehicle.

Confusing
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I found this... to make it more confusing... its so Dynamic!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...kages.html#t=l

Adaptive Suspension Packages.
The BMW X5 drives as majestically as it looks – particularly with the optional Adaptive Suspension Packages. Whether sporty or comfortable, these packages guarantee the best possible road-holding in all situations.
Maximum driving comfort while retaining hallmark BMW driving dynamics properties: the Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort allows you to individually adjust the suspension and damping response at any time. The rear axle air suspension included guarantees a consistently high level of driving comfort regardless of the car's load state.

If you want a more dynamic suspension set-up at times, Driving Experience Control offers you the additional options of Sport and Sport+ mode.

The Adaptive Suspension Package Dynamic lets you further optimise the dynamic potential of your car. Dynamic Performance Control, included in the feature, and Dynamic Drive guarantee very sporty driving dynamics in general, reflected mainly in a very neutral steering response and minimum side tilt of the body when taking bends − and all this while retaining a high level of drive comfort.

The best of both worlds is provided by the Active Suspension Package Professional, which combines the features of the Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort and the Adaptive Suspension Package Dynamic, for both maximum driving comfort and outstanding driving dynamics.

Increased driving dynamics: the Adaptive M Suspension gets maximum potential out of your car. Features include Dynamic Damper Control and air suspension at the rear axle, with a set-up designed for a particularly sporty driving response. The Adaptive M Suspension is only available as part of the M Sport package.
      05-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I agree

Any coders on here can comment if the comfort suspension can be updated to include sport settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep

And a video