Model X?
Yes! I second this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #24
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

How are the A/C vents in all these recommended 7 seaters? I was looking at Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Ultimate and Infiniti QX60 the other day. For the price, the Hyundai came loaded with options and I really liked the captains chairs. Plus, the Hyundai has both USB outlets and separate Heating/ A/C controls and vents in the third row. The Infiniti looked a little more solidly built, but I was shocked to find zero A/C vents passed the middle row.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I am afraid your needs are taking you near the minivan zone, or one of the supersized American SUVs or a Lexus LX, if neither the Q7 or GL suffice.

Look at the MB Metris passenger config if usable seat count is high priority.
      05-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #26
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

My father drove a GL550, beautiful car and roomy. My neighbor just bought a new Yukon Denali and that thing is NICE. Lots of options but not the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #27
FamilyMan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

I bought an F15 X5 35i about 8 months ago and I chose the 3rd row option. I have a 10yr old, 8yr old and a 5yr old.

This forum was a great resource and I asked a TON of questions.

In my situation the 3rd row is only used when we have extra people with us. Otherwise my 3 kids sit in the 2nd row.

If I needed the 3rd row on a daily basis then the X5 might not have worked for me.

As others have noted, the 3rd row seat is very small and is not situated at the same height as the 2nd row.

This creates a very awkward seating position. When my kids sit in the 3rd row they can't see out the windows and makes them feel a little car sick and claustrophobic. Short rides are fine, but if we drive over an hour or plan a road trip with more than 5 people then I would have to rent a minivan (hasn't happened yet).

Also the entry into the 3rd row is a little clumsy. Don't get me wrong, it works just fine, but there are other manufacturers that have this entry/egress figured out much better - also those vehicles are true 3rd row crossovers (unlike the X5).

So, I think you could make it work, but it isn't ideal and you may regret the decision after living with it everyday for 6 months.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #28
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Q7 is does not have a full sized third row. The older version had more room.

X5 is cramped in the back and not a good option for permanent 7 seats.

A good option could be the GL or infinity QX60 or QX80.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #29
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
How are the A/C vents in all these recommended 7 seaters?
In the 4L Q7 the vehicle was equipped with two ac compressors and multiple blower motors. there was one set for the front and another set for the rear passengers. it is more than adequate and if you put on the highest setting it is unacceptably loud but it does work and it does cool down the entire vehicle rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
A good option could be the GL or infinity QX60 or QX80.
the LR4 has the most room and easiest to access however the best option is a minivan. most if not all these SUV/SAV are backwards engineered to fit 3 rows and mask the fact that it is trying to be a minivan. accept the fact that you may need a minivan and go on with life.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #31
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
In the 4L Q7 the vehicle was equipped with two ac compressors and multiple blower motors. there was one set for the front and another set for the rear passengers. it is more than adequate and if you put on the highest setting it is unacceptably loud but it does work and it does cool down the entire vehicle rapidly.
It is not always about cooling or heating vehicle in general but actual circulation and the feeling of moving air so as to not feel sick. Are there actual vents?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #32
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i would have to imagine having a second compressor and blower it would achieve the functionality you mention above. on the 4L Q7 the front (first row) has four vents, for the middle (second row) there are four vents there is temperature control, distribution, and speed settings, the last (third row) only has two vents. one on each (iirc). there is a main override in the front that can control all areas through the mmi.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #33
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
X5 third row is downright useless, so much I have a cargo mat that lets me pretend I have no third row so friends don't try to cram in the back only to complain later how much torture it is.

That said I've crammed two adults there before for a short trip.

Have you considered a Escalade? The Platinum is so well equipment and you have room for ages.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #34
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

I have xdrive40e, so I did not have option for third row. However, I figured and it is confirmed by this thread that it would not likely be a very functional daily driver 7-8 seater. It is perfect to lay down dog bed for me. My sister sister is planning for her future family and may need something more functional.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #35
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Have you considered a Escalade? The Platinum is so well equipment and you have room for ages.
the interior does not match the price point of the vehicle. just entering the platinum with awd is nearly $93k then optioned the way i would like it's $97k. no way i would drive a $108k (OTD) cadillac. slightly used they they come up $72-79k and that is where i feel the pricing should start new. (the vehicle is greatly improved over previous escalade and the ride quality has been adjusted so much that you can actually enjoy driving the vehicle and not being bounced around like you're offroading through the serengeti while driving down a freeway)
Appreciate 0