BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

What is cosidered a "degreaser"?

I bought a bottle of Black Pearl Trim and Tire Armor to coat my tires.
They are new only a week old.
Coating is supposed to last up to 6 months (probably more like 3)

But seller said his first tires he did did not come out great becaus he did not use a degreaser.

What might one have around their house that will degrease. I have Simply Green, Turps, acrylic lacquer thinner, gasoline. etc.

Short of having to buy another can or bottle of something . . . what can I use that I may already have before I dress the tires? I probably already put a coating of McQuires tire dressing so I know I have to get rid of that.

Thanks
      05-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

If it’s been a year since you scrub your true you need to clean the tires throughly before you can put a tire dressing on it.

You can use simple green or any aluminum finish safe all purpose cleaner and a tire brush, you want to remove the dirt and oxidization build up off the tire so when you spray simple green and scrub the tire and see brown foam/water coming off the tires rubber, that’s the junk that’s preventing the dressing from staying on the tires, you’ll need to scrub till the foam stays white (2-3 time), rinse and apply your dressing.

Here’s a good video to clean your tires from pantheorganizer
Appreciate 2
HJ478.00
      05-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #3
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I use Dawn and a tire brush to remove the old tire dressing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for both of those responses and the vid. I'm used to the brown oxidation (hate it) and I use a curved tire brush and Simply Green or Blech-Wite for years on my tires. But after I've cleaned them they never seem that clean. They still look oxidized and then whatever dressing I use just covers the oxidation up for a day or two and slings (even after buffing off) off onto the lloy wheels and becomes a magnet which collects even more brake dust and road grime (sigh).
Good tip to do the oxidation 2-3 times. I didn't know that.

Both our vehicles tires are brand new, so I want to try this Black Pearl stuff out since they are not oxidized yet.

I asked the question because I did not want to use any degreasing type agent that might be left behind that gets into the pores of the rubber and could affect the new tire dressing from adhering correctly.
I don't want to use a degreaser that is too strong runs down and affects the coating on my alloy wheels.

Tires are always my worst headache to keep clean. They oxidize so fast and always ruin the detailed look of my ride. Keeping the alloy wheels clean is no bargain either. I'll give them a few coatings of Menzurna powerlock which I use on the painted surfaces.

Great vid too. But its that last step of the tire dressing that is always my headache as my Northeast climate has the tires looking clean for like two days

Last edited by expidia; 05-09-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Thanks for both of those responses and the vid. I'm used to the brown oxidation (hate it) and I use a curved tire brush and Simply Green or Blech-Wite for years on my tires. But after I've cleaned them they never seem that clean. They still look oxidized and then whatever dressing I use just covers the oxidation up for a day or two and slings (even after buffing off) off onto the lloy wheels and becomes a magnet which collects even more brake dust and road grime (sigh).

Both our vehicles tires are brand new, so I want to try this Black Pearl stuff out since they are not oxidized yet.

I asked the question because I did not want to use any degreasing type agent that might be left behind that gets into the pores of the rubber and could affect the new tire dressing from adhering correctly.
I don't want to use a degreaser that is too strong runs down and affects the coating on my alloy wheels.

Tires are always my worst headache to keep clean. They oxidize so fast and always ruin the detailed look of my ride. Keeping the alloy wheels clean is no bargain either. I'll give them a few coatings of Menzurna powerlock which I use on the painted surfaces.

Great vid too. But its that last step of the tire dressing that is always my headache as my Northeast climate has the tires looking clean for like two days
Off topic I know, My biggest headache is the windows. I can't stand trying to to get them streak free and spotless.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post

Is probably a good idea to invest in some dedicated tire cleaner product if using APC not working
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Off topic I know, My biggest headache is the windows. I can't stand trying to to get them streak free and spotless.
Use coffee filters to clean your windows, it will leave it streak free
Appreciate 3
      05-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Use coffee filters to clean your windows, it will leave it streak free
Before you use them,right? Lol jk
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
Mr.47480.00
      05-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Rossmov . . . You've come to the right place Grasshopper . . . I've fought with streaky windows for years. When I was a kid I used to work part-time for a family friend who had a window washing business. All we used was crumbled up newspaper and some vinegar in a bucket of water.

Forget Windex and paper towels.
The best stuff I've found for auto windows (I probably found it in some thread here) is a 17oz spray bottle of Gyeon Q2M glass cleaner $11.95) and an 8 pack these micro fiber towels specially made for glass $12.98) I bought all from Amazon.

Also, get a bottle of Chemical Guys Microfiber wash (Around $11).
Note: DO NOT . . . wash your towels for glass with your regular microfiber towels that you use to wipe wax etc off your paint. The wax or silicon will transfer to the special microfiber towels for glass and you will forever ruin their ability to clean glass streakless.

So like $36 for all 3 of the above might sound expensive to some but these vehicles new are 65k plus! There is a time to shop for bargains and a time to pay up for products that work!

This site sucks when we are forced to resize a pic. amazon for the all the products I mentioned above. Do a search for these towels on Amazon: Microfiber Glass Cleaning Cloths - 8 Pack | Lint Free - Streak Free | Quickly and Easily Clean Windows & Mirrors Without Chemicals
by Microfiber Wholesale

P.S. I first use a plastic yellow Dobie pad lightly with the glass cleaner on my windshield to quickly remove bugs etc. Otherwise, the bugs or crap on there keep smearing while you are trying to get it streak free!

Last edited by expidia; 05-10-2019 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 2