BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

'Tis the season... another new owner.

Just picked up our early xmas present yesterday and couldn't be happier!

We were cross-shopping the usual suspects - ML, Q7, Cayenne, and X5.
ML - really thought the ML would be the one since staying in the family would be nice (my DD is a C300). Turns out familiarity != excitement. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't evoke a "this is the ONE" reaction.
Q7 - just too bland; feels a bit dated; nixed quickly
Cayenne - love the new LCI body, but just couldn't pay the premium for what was left in stock
X5 - what can I say that you all don't already know? Fast-fwd to the details. Was starting to see what 2015 xDrive 35d cars were in stock at the two local dealers. Wanted the extra mpg as well as the torque. Was just starting the process and wasn't in a hurry when I ran across a new 2014 xDrive 35i with basically everything I'd want and nothing didn't. It was being advertised at 10% of MSRP, obviously due to it being a remaining 2014. It was a Carbon Black M-Sport. I definitely didn't want a black car as my DD is also black. Being religious about maintaining my cars meant I'd be signing myself up for a ton of extra work vs the silver XC90 we traded in. The car was ~1hr away, but we went down to see it in person anyway. Upon doing so and driving it, we were sold. Interestingly enough, it was the color that actually helped push things over the edge. Carbon Black looks *blue* in the sunlight. We both noticed it right away and thought that really set it apart. Deal was done after a not-so-painful negotiation.

xDrive 35i
MSport
Premium
Cold Weather
Driver Assist
Lighting Pkg
H/K Audio

Looking fwd to gaining some very useful knowledge and contributing where I can. Biggest challenge now will be fighting the itch to mod it.

Quick pic during the 5-min break we got from the torrential rain. Will post better pics when the weather clears and I can detail it. I know a full 3-step detail is already needed. I noticed some HORRIBLE holograms as the car was being pulled up for us after being prepped for delivery.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Welcome @Doanster and congrats on the new X5! It looks fantastic. If you are looking into mods, there are plenty of us who have experience on them. I actually test drove all the cars you just mentioned as well before arriving at the X5 as my final choice. No question is a dumb question here .
      11-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Congratulations @Doanster. Great discount on a popular MSport CBlack. I assume you exited Volvo for change sake. Yes, this forum is active and helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Doanster, welcome. Enjoy the car and feel free to ask us any questions.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
If you are looking into mods, there are plenty of us who have experience on them.
Umm, yeah, I KNOW about you and mods. That's why I'm thinking about putting you on my black list so I don't even read your posts!

Problem for me is... I'm no stranger to tinkering with my cars so it really will be hard to leave things well enough alone, especially as this is the wife's car. I will say, however, that my "stock" X5 has a majority of the things done to it already that I had to mod on my MB. Stuff like de-chrome, new grille, smoked sidemarkers, etc.

For the short-term, however, I need to get the necessities taken care of - roof crossbars (flush rails = no re-use of my existing Yakima gear ), winter wheels/tires, cargo liner, winter detail/prep.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@Doanster, welcome. Enjoy the car and feel free to ask us any questions.
Thanks! I'll probably order the coding cable from you soon. Ability to tweak things to my liking is very cool.

I like how there's so much aftermarket support for stuff like coding with BMW. Enthusiast community for MB pales in comparison, so we don't get breakthroughs for stuff like coding, ECU tuning, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Thanks! I'll probably order the coding cable from you soon. Ability to tweak things to my liking is very cool.

I like how there's so much aftermarket support for stuff like coding with BMW. Enthusiast community for MB pales in comparison, so we don't get breakthroughs for stuff like coding, ECU tuning, etc.
Yeah, tell me about it. MB forums are dead with coding and barely do any mods for the ML.
      11-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Doanster, Welcome to the forum. Like you I shopped almost the same list and ended up here also. The X5 is an amazing machine and one you are sure to enjoy for some time. Look forward to more pics. Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
For the short-term, however, I need to get the necessities taken care of - roof crossbars (flush rails = no re-use of my existing Yakima gear ), winter wheels/tires, cargo liner, winter detail/prep.
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!
I need the same- winter mats and crossbars. Please post what you find. There are many threads about the merits of Weathertec and the BMW mats and i have yet to wade through all of that.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistcondition View Post
I need the same- winter mats and crossbars. Please post what you find. There are many threads about the merits of Weathertec and the BMW mats and i have yet to wade through all of that.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793939. This should help you. I have the WeatherTech and they're solid.
      11-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Nice ride! Congratulations and nice options! I wish I went with M sport. Our lists are similar, except we also looked at the GL. To me, ML wasn't a direct comparison and quickly was out. We liked the Porsche, but after the a la carte options, priced it's way out. The GL is also nice, but to me was "fluffy," not sure how else to describe it. I know this an SUV, but I still like how BMW and Porsche make it still seem to be a drivers car even though it's a near 5K lb behemoth. I've owned 5 BMWs and soon to have 6 and 7 and I just keep coming back to BMW. Enjoy in good health...
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0