BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Child seat in the Third Row

I tried to put a child seat in the third row. There is no "LATCH" device to connect the seat and using the seatbelt was not secure. The Vehicle glovebox owner's manual is not specific about whether they can/should be installed there or how.

Has anyone had any luck putting a child seat back there? (I'm not referring to a booster seat, I'm talking about the type of car seat that is belted into the seat.)

someguy
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I tried to put a child seat in the third row. There is no "LATCH" device to connect the seat and using the seatbelt was not secure. The Vehicle glovebox owner's manual is not specific about whether they can/should be installed there or how.

Has anyone had any luck putting a child seat back there? (I'm not referring to a booster seat, I'm talking about the type of car seat that is belted into the seat.)
That's cause you shouldn't put a child seat in third row of an X5. The LATCH is in the second row.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
ratgrl
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I would not put a car seat in the third row. A belted booster MAYBE, but for littles no way. Plus it would be a massive pain int he ass getting them in and out.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratgrl
I would not put a car seat in the third row. A belted booster MAYBE, but for littles no way. Plus it would be a massive pain int he ass getting them in and out.
Have to agree. I don't like the 3rd row in the X5 in general, to be honest. Just seems like they would sit so damn close to the rear bumper and windshield.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I never but a child seat in the third row but I have had the kids in the third row with boosters. Personally I am not worried about the kids in the third row just due to the overall safety of the BMW X5.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
I agree that the third row isn't the safest place in an X5 for children, the second row is. However if you have 4 children which I have, one or two have to go in the rear, - or the wife!.

I suspect the third row in an X5 is as safe as any small or medium sedan car back seat in a rear impact. Its higher and probably stronger

I dont think you should get too hung up over this, and if you have an X5 you obviously take safety seriously and this is only one factor. Its very rare for people in the UK to be injured in rear impacts apart from "whiplash", and in 17 years as an ER physician I cannot remember seeing anyone with life threatening injuries from a rear impact. You read in the newspapers occasionally of deaths with trucks striking the rear of cars on highways in traffic jams, but these people are often sitting in the front, and are very very rare.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone had any luck getting a car seat mounted in the third row? if so, can you provide some detail?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Did you check NHTSA to see if there are any general guidelines out there? I wonder if the lack of a LATCH back there is a good sign BMW doesn't recommend it. Anyone have experience with other vehicles with 3rd row seats with/without LATCH?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
ljxrayman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport Mineral White

Check this out, I think it should fit. The question is how to install it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:28 AM   #10
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

So People Are Missing the point that You don't have a Choice. All family Cars have This problem that the rear seat is close To the window. If You use the Car seats With seat belt attachment, as Seen in the Picture, the seat is securely in place, but not as stable as With the latch. Our Car seats have Both attachments. I Think the seat not being as stable as With isofix is more of an issue With Small babys With Poor neck muscle Control.

Edit. To be honest, looks Like the seats in the pic Are not fixed at alla, as the Seat belt I Think should Go through the fasteners Seen at neck height With the kids in the pic. There Also might be a retrofit isofix latch, but Those Would probably not be appro ed by the manufacturer as isofix should allways be fastened To the Cars main structures and obviously the folding rear seats Are not such a structure.

So in Other words, You need To buy a Seat that has Independent Seat belts attached To the Seat and the Car Seat is held in place With the Cars Seat belts.

Last edited by kip1; 05-17-2014 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

Hi, those are my little fellas in those 3rd row seat
More in my thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=982973
just to confirm: there's no ISOFIX on the 3rd row, but the BMW's Junior-Seat I-II fit perfectly in there. THey're attached by the 3rd row seats' 3 point-seatbelt, and there's BMW-specific TÜV homologation (German certificate of conformity, road safety and security) for those. So no worries in terms of safety. Well, those pics were taken in the garage and little ones were fooling around, so normally the neck-belt needs to go throught the lash in the car-seat of course. The problem elswhere though, as it is actually hard to get them in and out from the the trunk... because then you act basically like you had 3-door coupe rather than large 5-door family tank.... So, they're only used occassionally (rarely), just when grand-parents come around, and we really need weekend 7-seater...
But for the occassional purpose - they're more than enough
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I tried mounting my Diono Radian child seat into the third row and the angle and position of the seat belt would not allow me to solidly mount the child seat. I was trying to mount the seat to the car using the seatbelt, not just putting the seat belt over the child in the child seat.

someguy
Appreciate 0