BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x25D and 640i Cabrio

X5 Interior Carbon Fibre Trim

Short of a few pieces, my various M performance external parts are coming in nicely, in advance of the delivery of the X5 in 2-3 weeks. I hope to get them installed in the first week on delivery.

I like to plan ahead for my next project, which is the interior of the X5 MSport, to match some of the m performance exterior parts.

There has been little to not much interior pictures of the X5 with carbon fibre trim, and I like to seek opinions of it, and also pictures as form of comparisons.

At the moment, my interior trim is Aluminum Hexagon with Terra Leather interior, with lights package. I am regretting not getting the leather dashboard and the ceramic dials, but too late I suppose

I am thinking of swapping the Shift to the M performance, but am not 100% sure if the entire panel is carbon fibre, or just the stick itself.

Also, I have seen some parts from RG Sport on the Carbon Fibre trim on the M Sport steering wheel, and some pictures on a carbon fibre wrap over the trims.

Hence, if someone can post pictures of their interior carbon fibre build, and also what do people think of carbon fibre interiors, or is it best to just leave it alone at the risk of being too tacky?

Thanks. Opinions and pictures appreciated
      09-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

The M Performance interior CF trim has been on my list for some time, I just haven't come to the point where I can justify the hefty price tag. Definitely great looking pieces, especially the CF / Alcantara combination dash trims, so nice! Google images will be your friend here, lots of photos online. A more cost effective alternative is CF vinyl wrap. When done properly, this option looks great and can be removed / re-done in the future should you ever have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
The M Performance interior CF trim has been on my list for some time, I just haven't come to the point where I can justify the hefty price tag. Definitely great looking pieces, especially the CF / Alcantara combination dash trims, so nice! Google images will be your friend here, lots of photos online. A more cost effective alternative is CF vinyl wrap. When done properly, this option looks great and can be removed / re-done in the future should you ever have an issue.
Agreed. I am leaning towards the vinyl wrap at the moment, with a combination of the genuine carbon fibre stick shift and perhaps the steering wheel addon from RGsport, but I cannot be 100% sure if its the best combination, or even if I should bother at all.

Last edited by Tripperhappy; 09-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: More pics
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Deferring to this post for inspiration

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1188835
      09-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
aroach04
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F15 50i M Sport

I have a lot of my trim covered in a CF type wrap, that was installed by a previous owner. I've had my X5 for a few weeks now and have already received a number of complements on how good the wrap looks.

I've been contemplating starting to buy the true CF parts, but I'm nervous that if I had some parts with the wrap and some that are real CF it'll look tacky.

MPBK | Meisterschaft GTC exhaust | H&R | V1 | IND | RG Sport |
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroach04 View Post
I have a lot of my trim covered in a CF type wrap, that was installed by a previous owner. I've had my X5 for a few weeks now and have already received a number of complements on how good the wrap looks.

I've been contemplating starting to buy the true CF parts, but I'm nervous that if I had some parts with the wrap and some that are real CF it'll look tacky.
When and if you get a chance, is it possible to share some pics? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I don't think it's tacky, but I also like to know what combination works best and what areas can be wrapped. I am leaning towards the genuine gear shift and have the aluminium trim area wrapped.
Appreciate 0