Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofrese1 View Post
A few weeks back I had a few runs against my friends stock M4. From a stand still I took off on him and was about two car lengths ahead of him due to having full traction from xdrive system. So we did a 40 roll twice and each time I was a car length ahead of him up until about 125mph. My car is a X5 50i also running on a JB4 tune with 20inch staggered Pirelli winters at the time! We were both surprised at how well the X5 performed up against the M4.
Is his car dct or manual? Very interesting findings.
This was the dct M4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #68
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
This was the dct M4
Wow. Now if you were to add a legitimate tune to that X5, the M4 would probably not catch up till either aero or speed limiter kicked in.

Last edited by Timberwolf; 04-10-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #69
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This was the dct M4
Wow. Now is you were to add a legitimate tune to that X5, the M4 would probably not catch up till aero or speed limiter kicked in.
I was very surprised myself. I am completely satisfied with the 50i with DHP. It really is a overall package. Quick in a straight line and on the turns handles pretty damn well for it's size. Keeps a smile on my face everyday never thought an SUV could do that for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #70
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was very surprised myself. I am completely satisfied with the 50i with DHP. It really is a overall package. Quick in a straight line and on the turns handles pretty damn well for it's size. Keeps a smile on my face everyday never thought an SUV could do that for me!
I don't have DHP and it's killing me. The car is so floaty. I'm thinking of springs and sway bars. But no one sells a sway bar! Argh!!
      04-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #71
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have DHP and it's killing me. The car is so floaty. I'm thinking of springs and sway bars. But no one sells a sway bar! Argh!!
I think a nice set of springs and spacers would really help your truck. Are you running the 20inch staggered summer set-up?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #72
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think a nice set of springs and spacers would really help your truck. Are you running the 20inch staggered summer set-up?
Yes staggered. Those rears feel like 100lbs a piece with the runcraps. I had spacers but took them off as there was a slight vibration. They also looked goofy in back without springs. I may try them again if i lower her.
      04-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #73
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Quote:
A few weeks back I had a few runs against my friends stock M4. From a stand still I took off on him and was about two car lengths ahead of him due to having full traction from xdrive system. So we did a 40 roll twice and each time I was a car length ahead of him up until about 125mph. My car is a X5 50i also running on a JB4 tune with 20inch staggered Pirelli winters at the time! We were both surprised at how well the X5 performed up against the M4.
lofrese1, how do you put the JB4 tune on the N63tu motor? I was told you could only put the Stage1 on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #74
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
Quote:
lofrese1, how do you put the JB4 tune on the N63tu motor? I was told you could only put the Stage1 on.
Not the greatest photos of the install but all I have on my phone at this time. But it's a very simple install on the sides of the motor where the mass air flow sensors are is where the JB4 tune plugs in. You just unplug the mass sensor wire harness from the sensor plug it into the JB4 tune and plug the other side of the tune back into the mass airflow sensor. Takes about two mins to do. Just be careful not to break the tab on the mass flow sensors harness. I am running the JB4 tune at the 12 o'clock setting on 93 octane stock. To change the settings on the tune you just take a Phillips screw driver open up the both of boxes on the tune and move the dials to the 12 o'clock position and then close back up the tunes boxes. I have been running it on this setting for 9k miles with no problem. Good luck with your install I hope this helped you!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #75
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #76
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
That's why we're confused. That's not a JB4, it's a Stage 1.
      04-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #77
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
The tune specifically says JB on it. It is a BMS stage 1 tune. I'm not understanding how you guys can be confused on this. If you type in JB4 N63tu tune in your search you will receive information on this specific tune. I am trying to help you guys out with understanding this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #78
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The tune specifically says JB on it. It is a BMS stage 1 tune. I'm not understanding how you guys can be confused on this. If you type in JB4 N63tu tune in your search you will receive information on this specific tune. I am trying to help you guys out with understanding this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #79
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

JB4 requires more work to install. Your is what they use to call JB+ or JB stage 1.

JB4 needs you to splice into the CANBUS wires for more boost control. This is where the confusion is.

I had the same tune on my 2014 550 as you do. On the dyno it was good for about 20-25hp gain.

Strange how the JB tune chooses to alter the MAF signal while Racechip alters the TMAP. Would love to see back to back differences on a dyno to see which is more effective.
      04-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #80
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #81
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
JB4 requires more work to install. Your is what they use to call JB+ or JB stage 1.

JB4 needs you to splice into the CANBUS wires for more boost control. This is where the confusion is.

I had the same tune on my 2014 550 as you do. On the dyno it was good for about 20-25hp gain.

Strange how the JB tune chooses to alter the MAF signal while Racechip alters the TMAP. Would love to see back to back differences on a dyno to see which is more effective.
Thanks Alan for explaining it better then I could. I do see where the confusion can come between the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #82
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Quote:
Thanks lofrese1. That is the same tune that I have and feel it is actually reducing power on my 2017 X5 50i.

I am looking forward to your time tests with and without the tune because as I mentioned the Sports Display readings on my car show LESS horsepower and torque with the tune on no matter how hard I try and thrash the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #83
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks lofrese1. That is the same tune that I have and feel it is actually reducing power on my 2017 X5 50i.

I am looking forward to your time tests with and without the tune because as I mentioned the Sports Display readings on my car show LESS horsepower and torque with the tune on no matter how hard I try and thrash the car.
Your welcome! You are not the first person that reported a loss of power after installing the JB tuner on the 17 model. BMW must have changed something on the 17 model. I have a 16 X5 50i and I do feel like it has a more pep and the throttle response is a lot more responsive with the JB tuner on. I've also notice on the sport displays that it is right on the 480 mark now. I would def contact Terry from BMS on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #84
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your welcome! You are not the first person that reported a loss of power after installing the JB tuner on the 17 model. BMW must have changed something on the 17 model. I have a 16 X5 50i and I do feel like it has a more pep and the throttle response is a lot more responsive with the JB tuner on. I've also notice on the sport displays that it is right on the 480 mark now. I would def contact Terry from BMS on this issue.
This is one of Terry's least lucrative platforms so he really doesn't spend much time on it. They're working the JB4 which as said above will require splicing a wire to achieve the higher numbers. Naturally that will deter many the leasers and conservative folks. He did seem to insinuate that there would also be a plug and play JB4 with full gauge control.
Personally that's what I'm waiting for. I just want more pep, not 100 more hp which will kill the transmission quickly on such a heavy all wheel drive "car"
      04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #85
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

100hp doesn't doesn't break things torque does. If I recall correctly the transmission in the 50i is the same transmission that is in the M50D. If so you don't have to worry about tolerance levels on a JB4 Tune however the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" error may be triggered sooner with it and probably a very good scapegoat for BMW to not cover the repair under warranty.
Appreciate 1
lofrese1264.00
      04-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #86
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Quote:
Do you at least have the M-Sport dynamic dampers? Still floaty if so?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #87
LA-M55
Banned
Yemen
Rep
Drives: Lightning fast m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
So does a 7 series, but I wouldn't refer to it as a truck.
it's a truck/suv. if you want to call it a sav or car go ahead. What ever floats your boat bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #88
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Do you at least have the M-Sport dynamic dampers? Still floaty if so?
I got a killer deal on a car sitting at the dealer and I really thought the M Sports had the adjustable shocks. The BMWNA site was confusing as all hell.
So I have nothing and it's like Bubble Yum. Great for city driving but loosy goosy on back roads
lofrese1264.00