BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Changing my tires this Friday with Non RFT's

Don't want a spare but will get the Mobility kit just in case. My question is.....will BMW roadside still tow my car to the nearest tire place or dealership if needed?

Only asking since im not using RFT. I love in socal so im never too far away from civilization.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloros View Post
Don't want a spare but will get the Mobility kit just in case. My question is.....will BMW roadside still tow my car to the nearest tire place or dealership if needed?

Only asking since im not using RFT. I love in socal so im never too far away from civilization.

Thanks
i bet one big reason for bmw installing runflats is to save on roadside calls, since if you have runflats, you can still drive. not sure what they'd do if you have regular tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Interested to know also.
I usually kept my eye on the tire pressure screen when I felt something funny in the car or just ran over something or drove by area with a bunch of debris scattered.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

i also have non runflat PSS.

questioned service adviser about roadside assistance and supposedly they dont ask questions....never had the experience tho, and i have AAA anyways

by the way.... yes runflats will stop a nail or debris from letting air leak creating a flat, but alot of times, runflats can not be utilized after contact with major potholes, larger then a nail shrapnel that shreds tire, or nails that sheer off within the tire
      09-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
batmanken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Msport

my suggestion is, get a spare tire. I know it's expensive but it really helped. I blew one of my rear tire the other day (non runflat tire) on the freeway and swapping it to a spare just made it quick and easy. I just drove to the tire shop, got it fixed and I was on my way. mobility kit is a good option but after actually getting a flat, that would have been a big headache.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

They will tow it regardless of your tire.

I ran through a debris field of an accident site that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned, and punctured my non run-flat. I was under full warranty, and BMW road side assistance didn't even ask me what type of tire I had during the call.

The third party towing company didn't even look at the tire type, and it was visually flat to begin with, which obviously wouldn't be indicative of the characteristics of a RFT anyway.

They towed it to my BMW dealer, who installed another non-RFT that I had delivered from Tire Rack a day later. (my dealer is the one who installed the non-RFT's when my car was new BTW).

I think the key was the fact I told the BMW road side assistance operator that "I did not feel safe driving the car", and that was the end of it; no more questions and the tow truck (flatbed) was on its way.

The only difference was this being a 3 series...

Last edited by Raikkonen; 09-03-2015 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: omission
Appreciate 0