BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
wwanthony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
yet another american problem--these threads crack me up.

guys try parking your x5 in hong kong or tokyo. i am lucky if i can get out of the car without squeezing in my stomach and crushing my but between the door and the b pillar all the while my fingers getting crushed between the door and the next car. there is no point trying to find a wide sport because they don't exist. all i can do is find a nice car to par next to so they are as careful as me with their car...
This is not an american problem.

If you are parking in a metropolis anywhere in the world what you described is the way it works. Hong Kong, Taiwan, Kyoto, Tokyo, Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Mumbai, and so on.......
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
Stupid move on your part Alan.

I am not going to call it a dick move after hearing your statement (sort of weak)....but very stupid. Some idiot would look at that and assume you were a dick and leave you an unpleasant message. I would not make a habit out of listening to your brother in law.
It's very simple.

It's not a spot. Look at the width of the lines and you ca clearly see it being much narrower than my spot. If that is an actual spot then the lot owners needs to mark their lines better. I was visiting from out of town with my family and this was my first time parking at this lot.

I moved over giving everyone around me more space while also looking out for my car.

Lot wasn't full at all.

Car Infront of me was my brother in laws so I purposely had my car kissing his front end which the pic captures just his headlight.

Next to him on his passenger side wasn't a spot. Here was a big cement block there which was also what was infront of the area next to me.

Maybe I should have purposely park closer to the car on my right so I can create an extra parking spot even though it wasn't meant to be one? Because that's what all of you guys would have done right?

It's hard to explain without being there but honesty I don't really care...

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-24-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #25
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks
What's a CCA member?
Car Club of America a la BMWCCA.
      08-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Definitely a ballsy move since you could get a hothead that will try to make your day miserable by parking REALLY close to you in his shitty card, or, worst case, damage your car. If I need to park like that, I usually just park ON TOP of the yellow line on the outside of the spot just to give the car parked next to me as much room as possible, without taking up another spot.

In any case, the X5 looks very clean!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #27
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I agree. I never take up two spots intentionally even if i'm in a wide open lot. I am the type that would park my car at the end of the lot and walk 5mins to the entrance of a mall. Wife use to hate me for this but now she's use to it. Even then i don't hog up two spots simply because i know there are haters out there that would ruin peoples property for any reason.

This case was different. Yes it looks like I was taking up two spots but my interpretation of it based on everything mentioned is that it wasn't a spot. If the OP took the pic from behind my car I am 100% certain that you won't see my X5 crossing over the line simply because there was no line there indicating it was a legit spot.

Oh and to the OP welcome to the forums. Starting out on the right foot here already with your second post.

Alan
      08-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #28
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Letting out the air in my tires?? I'm sure you'll feel awesome knowing that this will leave me and my 2 year old plus 5week old baby stranded there on a 90 degree day because I didn't get someone's parking approval...
I think he was kidding...but come on, stranded in 90 degree heat with your baby?
      08-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #29
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Meh, Alan's F15 deserves two spaces.

This thread escalated quickly. Bimmerpost Members are out there watching us
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #30
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Meh, Alan's F15 deserves two spaces.

This thread escalated quickly. Bimmerpost Members are out there watching us
No sh*t! No way I'm posting any more pics to the "Random X5" thread! The hills have eyes...

It wasn't a real parking spot he crossed into. Case closed. Move along.
      08-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #31
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

lol you guys are funny.....

At any rate thanks for the pic of my car. Doesn't look bad after a 3 hour road trip but boy does it highlight just how different the colors are between my front fenders compared to my doors. The benefits of Mineral white plus plastic fenders.....
      08-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #32
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

We are up late admiring your car in that parking spot
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #33
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305
We are up late admiring your car in that parking spot
I'm in India for a month. This is my day haha
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #34
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ Thanks for the heads up aw305...

I've been away from the forums the last few days and didn't even know I was getting crucified on the inter web

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-25-2015 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #35
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Don't be so quick to judge guys...

That's my car and no it's not a dick move. The lot was far from being full and if you paid attention to the parking lines the spot directly next to my driver side doesn't have a a full line aka not a parking spot which was why I moved all the way over for the MDX that was to my right. The horizontal line infront of my wheel stops under my car. The spot directly in front of my car (Durango) was my brother in laws car and we both picked those spots on purpose. Next to the Durango on the passenger side was a cement block which isn't a spot. Originally I was going to park all the way in the back where there were tons of open spots but my brother in law told me to move it there since nobody could park next to me to my left. Could a car park in the area next to me? Maybe a tiny car could fit but should someone? No.

I agree parking like a dick will get unwanted attention but I'm also not going to let some lazy ass squeeze next to me and the Gti when it's not even spot according to the lines and the amount of space between us.

Alan

And you think that the prick who ends up keying your car would guess this? Be careful....my friend just last week had his car keyed parking like this. Lucky for him he was going to get it painted (M4).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #36
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

It was a weird spot, weird location, weird place and I don't expect to come to another parking spot quite like this one where the lines were all funky with all the oddities of everything else around it.

Frankly this whole thread is weird being spotted in PA (i'm from NY) and started by a member with 2 posts. Served as some entertainment for me after pulling off each of my 22" wheels off to clean/opticoat for 3 hours in super humid weather. Plus finding out that i had a nail in one of my tires which required me to make a quick run to get it plugged. Lifting a 75lb 22" wheel to chest height to get into my friends truck isn't exactly fun....

Alan
      08-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #37
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was a weird spot, weird location, weird place and I don't expect to come to another parking spot quite like this one where the lines were all funky with all the oddities of everything else around it.

Frankly this whole thread is weird being spotted in PA (i'm from NY) and started by a member with 2 posts. Served as some entertainment for me after pulling off each of my 22" wheels off to clean/opticoat for 3 hours in super humid weather. Plus finding out that i had a nail in one of my tires which required me to make a quick run to get it plugged. Lifting a 75lb 22" wheel to chest height to get into my friends truck isn't exactly fun....

Alan
Patch, Alan. Plugs are dangerous! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:25 AM   #38
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

even if that was an empty spot, i wouldnt have parked that far over the line. most of your car is outside the spot. it just doesnt look good and will get people mad at you and talk about you, hence this thread. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:30 AM   #39
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
Patch, Alan. Plugs are dangerous! lol
I had no choice. It was towards the edge of the tire where a patch might not be the best option.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #40
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Dear Alan, you have a seriously good looking car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #41
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

In all honesty don't you think Alan has the right to do whatever he wants? I mean he explained that it was a weird spot that looked like two spots but was only one and people STILL are lecturing him on how to park. Let it go lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #42
wwanthony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
In all honesty don't you think Alan has the right to do whatever he wants? I mean he explained that it was a weird spot that looked like two spots but was only one and people STILL are lecturing him on how to park. Let it go lol
Actually, most people are concerned about Alan's beautiful car being touched by some jealous idiot....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #43
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

I actually thought this thread started as a joke considering OP had no posts. However, it has turned ugly and into something that I haven't seen since my days arguing with 18 year olds on Acurazine. I'm officially sick of the Alan bashing and won't be revisiting this thread... Enjoy your day and I'll catch up with the rest of the adults in the other posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #44
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
I actually thought this thread started as a joke considering OP had no posts. However, it has turned ugly and into something that I haven't seen since my days arguing with 18 year olds on Acurazine. I'm officially sick of the Alan bashing and won't be revisiting this thread... Enjoy your day and I'll catch up with the rest of the adults in the other posts.
Actually this is probably the best case scenario. The 3 series/ M3/ M4 forum would of taken this thread to another level.
Appreciate 0